PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action semi official scenarios.

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:17 PM
There are six new scenarios out at the moment which seem to be regarded as semi official by most of the people that I have spoken to.

http://www.wwpd.net/2016/02/bolt-action ... s.html?m=1

I played the first one, Heartbreak Ridge, on Monday night and really enjoyed it. Slightly unusual in that it opposite quarters rather than edges, there are 3 objectives. The first one in the exact middle of the board and the other two in the deployment zones with the middle one being worth 1 point and your own objective 0 points but your opponents being worth 2.

I lost 1-0, due in the most part to the most devastating British artillery strike I have ever seen. :o :shock: :(

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Posted by Whiterook.

I love the growth this system has been seeing.... though I've not really read the rules I bought, I skimmed enough to know I'll love this system. I'm gad you posted this, as I've not really read anything yet on how the scenarios play. I hope this system will not be another cookie-cutter of systems that capture you and then leave you hanging with no new scenarios to play out. What's your take on that, at this point in your getting into the system?

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:20 PM
The rules and game have been our for a couple of years or so at the moment and like most new rulesets, even with experienced game developers and extensive playtesting, there have been quite a few FAQ`s and revisions , and, according to the rumour mill we are supposed to be getting a re- write some time in the Fall (October?). The company have always been open to fan input and there are a couple of semi official groups playtesting new rules and scenarios, which I think is a great way to do it as the original developers can sometimes have a too fixed idea of where they are going, and something coming from a different perspective can only be good.

The new scenarios look good, the KittyHawk Down one looks interesting. Starting off as a normal game then having a plane fly across the middle of the table on turn 4 from a random table edge and then crash a random distance in with the players having to get to the wreck to claim points. It is also good to have missions that do not use a standard my edge/your edge setup.

The future of this game is looking bright, we have had a couple of new guys start at the club in the last couple or so months, primarily to play BA.

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
I have just played the Heartbreak Ridge scenario from this collection and I really enjoyed it. Slightly different in having a diagonal deployment, this one does make you think a bit.

You start by dicing off to see who wants to be attacker and defender, with the attacker choosing which diagonal will be used. The defender then chooses which side to be his deployment zone. 3 objectives are then placed with the defender placing no`s 1 and 3, the attacker no 2. Any 2 of these are in the defenders zone and the other has to be on the central diagonal line so this will probably be the one that the attacker places..

There is alternate unit placing with half of both sides units being in reserve. WHoever holds most objectives at the end of the game is the winner, with points for units destroyed being used if there is no winner on the objectives.

The option for reserves to come on from the flanks was still there but there was no guidelines about just where the sides were because of the diagonal set up but luckily neither of us really wanted to

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Just played the Nuts scenario, and that was a good one as well. Based on the idea that a supply drop has gone a bit haywire you have 5 objectives, 1 dead centre, and the others in each quarter with the winner being the one who controlled most at the end of the game.. I am not sure if we were being a bit thick that night but the way we read the scenario it looked as if there was only a very small area to put the 4 objectives after you have allowed for the, not within x of edge, not within x of centre, and so on which would have lead to a very symetrical set up, so we just reduced some of the distances and it played fine.

I have no idea if these will be included in the v2 rules or not but it would be good to have more than the 6 that are in the first rulebook.

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:23 PM
There is another unofficial scenario that is a bit different.

http://www.wwpd.net/2016/05/bolt-action ... 5.html?m=1

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:24 PM
I ran a home brewed D Day scenario at our clubnight that actually fell on the 6th that worked really well :o . There were 2 US players and me, German. We played on a 4` x 4` beach table, with the defenders getting 2 bunkers that each had a heavy AT gun and an MMG, also an HQ, 4 small infantry squads, 2 mmg`s a mortar, sniper, panzerschrek, and a light howitzer.

The yanks had a preliminary bombardment, and were allowed 2 landing craft each that came on at a random position determined by a D6 to represent the effect the tide had on the incoming troops. Each landing craft could hold 2 units of troops or 1 tank. Engineers that had reached the seawall could spend a turn laying a ramp for the tanks on a leadership check, or, could assault the bunkers using their flamethrowers. Destroyed, or severely pinned, units were recycled in subsequent waves in which the Yanks had a landing craft each per turn.

It was completely chaotic and huge fun. At one stage the beach section looked like one of those "how many people can you cram in a phonebox" competitions :lol: It took 6 turns of what finally was an 8 turn game to get significant numbers off the beach for a US win.

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Posted by Whiterook.

STOP IT!

I'm trying to resist this game and you keep putting all those tantalizing vittles on the table!

Frank
01-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Just give in, you know you want to really .

This is a great game. It is a serious wargame with some incredible minis that at the same time has a "fog of war" aspect that makes it great fun and stops you being too serious. :D