PDA

View Full Version : Reporting For Duty

nick.rusch
07-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Greetings Grogs,

I just discovered Wargaming Drop Zone via the Burden of Command website credits. Looking forward to seeing what's here and interacting with fellow members.

I started wargaming back in the early '70's and played through mid-80's. A career in the Marine Corps and then as a Defense contractor kept me away from gaming until '08 when I began to wonder whether any of those great old wargames were still around. I was happily surprised when I found out that they weren't only still around, but the hobby had greatly expanded. Since then I've discovered Squad Leader has matured into ASL. A gaming system I greatly enjoy. I'm also enjoying GCACW series, the Combat Commander series, and many others. I've just discovered AP's Panzer Grenadier series and am learning the rules. On my list to learn is the ACW Line of Battle series and OCS series of games. My favorite time frame to game is WW2, but will play any period as long as the game creates memorable playing moments. My favorite level of play is tactical (squad thru battalion), but enjoy games at both the operational and strategic levels.

Unfortunately work interferes with regular play as I travel for work and work hours can be long at times. Most of my gaming is solo with an occasional attendance at a con or on-line play via VAASL. I'm a member on BGG. My BGG username is the_prussian. I also belong to the SoCal ASL Club, but am rarely able to attend events due to time constraints. I attended the San Diego Historical Gaming Con (SDHGC) for the first time in '17 and plan on attending this year ('18) and beyond. SDHGC is a great West Coast opportunity with a wide range of wargaming - from miniatures and classical wargames to the newer COIN games and everything in between.

See you all on line

Nick

Whiterook
07-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Hi Nick, and welcome to the forum!!! And thanks for the great intro post.....you'll fit in perfect here!

Much of what you relate, extends exactly to my experiences and gaming interests, as well as most other members here. Lock 'N Load Tactical is my main vehicle of play, along with Panzer Grenadier as well...but I have been finding myself drawn tor Dan Verrsen Games' (DVG) solitaire games, as I play mostly solitaire, as well. I'm a Fed, and travel has been extensive, so I can relate to that also.

I love Advanced Squad Leader, but I'm hanging out in the Starter Kits presently. I have 90%+ of the full system, but that may need to wait a few more years.

I'm glad you found your way here through Burden of Command....how do you like that game? I thought it was one of the more intriguing designs I'd seen in a long time. The wargaming industry and community is indeed, extremely exciting and building strength every year.

Please let myself, of any of the Mods know if you need any help in navigating the site, and I look forward to seeing you around the boards!

50th
07-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Hi Nick, My favorite time period to game is also WW2. I also like Battletech and the Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator game (STSCS). I mostly play board games like Memoir 44, Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies board games. I do play a few miniature games like my own Quick War (a set of easy rules for using 1:144 miniatures).
Welcome to the forums and enjoy! There is plenty here to keep you happy.

Frank
07-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Hi Nick.

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty exclusively a miniatures gamer myself who plays far too many different systems for my own, and my wallets, good. WW2 is also a favourite period with Flames of War and Bolt Action.