PDA

View Full Version : Just joined

Centurion
08-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi. I'm Dave and I just joined.

I recommend revisiting the questions you ask when users sign in. I had to try a bunch of times before I got the question right and had to register. Most people probably are not as persistent as I am and will give up after a few tries. You may literally be losing 99% of new users because of this.

E.G. Three letters for sight spotting? I don't think there is many people who know the answer for that. I know I don't.

Spr__ At least say if you want the user to type in the whole word or just the missing letters.

It's good you are taking big steps to reduce spammers from joining, but if it is causing 99% of real users to give up because they can't figure out the questions, then you have a real problem.

Whiterook
08-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Hi Dave....thanks for joining, and for the comment.

I took your advice and updated our registration procedures...hopefully, they will be a little less daunting to future registering attempts.

Spammers are the bane of forum owners, and I believe one of the leading causes so many owners abandon their sites....these spammers (people and bots) are a literal plague on the Internet. There just aren't any spam countermeasures that really work, and Q&A is one of the few that allow some chance at defense....unfortunately, there's a little thing called Google that destroys that. For a forum owner, the hurdle becomes, how do you choose forum specific questions that these spammers can't just Google the answer? It's a fine balancing act. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and your participation is much appreciated!!!

So, what games are you playing, and how long have you been into wargames?

Frank
08-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, glad you managed to get here.

You don`t say what your area of interest is but we have most of the bases covered so you should find some common interests. Me, I am a tabletop miniatures gamer, things like Bolt Action, Flames of War, a lot of games Workshop stuff.

If you have any questions about the forum then don`t be scared to ask, we won`t bite. One more post and you will be a full member.

Frank

50th
08-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Hi Dave, welcome. I am a tabletop war boardgamer that plays mostly WWII games like Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron. I do play some miniatures games like Battletech and Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator, and a WWII miniatures game I wrote. So what are your favorites?

Centurion
08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Hi Guys. I play tons of wargames of both the miniatures and board game variety. As far as miniatures, I really like Ogre, Chicago Way and Dead Man's Hand. I'm experimenting with a sci-fi miniatures rule-set I wrote that plays like a first person shooter. It's fun, but needs a ton of work before I can introduce it to the world. As far as board wargames, I really like old micro games from Task Force Games, Metagaming, Steve Jackson Games, etc. The new stuff I like is most of the games from Decision Games, GMT Games and Dan Verssen Games. I write a lot of online games reviews also.

Whiterook
08-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Excellent lineup mentioned, and nicely diversified, as well! Many are on my hit list too, especially DVG and GMT games.

I hear you on the writing rules gig....I've had two systems in the works for years now and really, these days, it's just finding the time to work on them. I'd love to hear more about your projects, where I am sure you could set up home in the War College area alone!

If you'd ever care to share your reviews here, I am sure we could setup a section for 'ya!

Really glad to have you aboard. Your posts should be showing up automatically now. See you around the boards.