WoI campaign game 7: Last stand

I'm changing things up this time, using my instincts to create a scenario more like what I was used to prior to using the scenarios in the One Hour Wargames book. I'm just not enjoying the outcomes, and I want to get the fun back that I got back with Nordic Weasel's FiveCore rules. So I used his scenario generators to create this one, and my instincts to get what I want out of it.

This will be the knockout round for my DE fighters. They've lost nearly every fighter they entered the campaign with. If we lose again, the few survivors will decide their gods have left them and will give up their dream and go back to the fields.

Now they'll have to defend their last strategic point: an ammo depot at the edge of their main town, where the last of their fighting men have gathered with their last machine gun. With intense military training received over the last few months, half of our force will be regulars.

We're up against the LGC militia again, for the third time. They will outnumber us by quite a bit, but they'll have no heavy weapons and no political scheme, thanks to my spy network. They're just sending a bunch of guys to take away the last of what we have. And they have a choke point: just one bridge crossing the river into the town.

And I'm cutting the length of the game to just 6 turns, so it will be easier for my side to achieve victory by holding the depot for that long.

Order of battle
    DE (intense military training, spy network):
    3 small arms teams (1 regular, 2 militia)
    1 LMG team (regular)

LGC:
    6 small arms teams [1 regular (2/3 size), 5 militia]

Objective points
    10 for controlling the ammo depot, 5 for killing a leader, 1 for all other kills

O. M. G.!!! This sounds absolutely killer. MEGA! I love the desperateness of the situation faced by the DE. Everything on the line and can they pull themselves out of this? MEGA! I love this kinda stuff! Watching excitedly.

I also like the direction you are going. I admire that you're pounding away at finding a better path forward in you gaming. In truth, that's what wargaming is all about at its core.... exploring, learning, and evolving.
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Glad you're excited! Nice enthusiasm.

Here's a picture of my table. The enemies will be approaching from the east end. The trucks are just for cover and won't be moving.

Name:  20190327_190904.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  94.1 KB

And it begins! I got initiative in turn 1 and put my command LMG team in cover behind the garbage truck. The dice declared that the enemy command team of regulars would enter the table through the woods. Some of them spotted one of my guys but weren't able to hit him.

Name:  20190328_134849.jpg
Size:  85.1 KB

More of turn 1 to come.

So far this game is as challenging as a knockout round should be. The enemy doesn't have as many trained men and not nearly as much cover, but there are more of them, and that's making it difficult. Also, having initiative can be a bad thing, because every time I finished moving a new team onto the table, a new enemy team sprang from a random spot to attack it. I've already lost several men, as a result. Including my machine gunner, whom I didn't get to use.

Name:  20190329_131149.jpg
Size:  96.3 KB
    Everyone's on the table at the end of turn 1...but not everyone survived.

The dice decided the enemy will be making sort of a pincer attack, with most attacks coming from either flank. Only one enemy team is in the center, near the only bridge across the river. Only one team can cross the bridge at a time anyway, and all the teams are close enough to get to it quickly. And most teams are already in shooting range.

Thank goodness for that choke point. If they could all assault at once, I don't think I'd have a chance.
    Last edited by josta59; 03-29-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Turn 2 was more of the same. With so many enemies shooting at us, it's not surprising that even my trained guys in good cover are getting wounded eventually. We're badly outnumbered now, and I'm losing again!

Name:  20190329_150111.jpg
Size:  95.5 KB
    The first enemy team crosses the bridge as my teams get torn to pieces by the oncoming horde.

In turn 3, I decided on a different tactic. I couldn't keep putting guys out there to get shot. I'd make them come to me, instead. I hid everyone on my command team behind a house and had them wait.

But when the last guy of my other trained team rallied, I couldn't help but give him something to do. He took down one of the enemies coming into town, but then he was taken out by the command team in the woods. It probably wasn't worth it.

I'm starting to realize how different this might have been if I'd kept all my guys hidden from the start. It would've been a super ambush and an easy win. Dang it.

Now I have three enemies in the intersection of the roads, and another enemy team crossing the bridge. We're halfway to the end of the game. Just have to hang on a little while longer.

Name:  20190330_173948.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB
    Three enemies crouch next to the garbage truck in a bold close assault.

In turn 4, a random event card made one of my two remaining teams lose morale. But once my trained command team dispatched the enemies in the intersection, my demoralized team rallied right away. Whew! I hid them rather than risk any more fatalities by the platoon across the river.

Name:  20190331_135156.jpg
Size:  88.5 KB
    We took them out easily enough. Now here's the next set!

I just played the last 2 turns. I thought if I changed tactics and just hid my guys, letting the enemies come to them, it should be an easy win if they just survive to turn 6.

It was looking good until the very end, when I decided to let an enemy team barge in without cover for a glorious melee with my trained command team. I didn't think they'd do much damage. But they did just enough to make my team lose morale.

By the end of the melee, I had two guys left standing, and there were 8 enemies in the town. So I still lost.

Name:  20190409_214720.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  93.0 KB
    The enemies take over the village.

Yup, this campaign is over. That should've been an easy one. I don't know why I'm having such trouble with this.

Anyway, despite their deities and their magic, the Dios Enojados movement is totally dead. The rule of eastern Bolivia will go to some other faction. Probably those darned American occupiers.

I forgot, I was going to have a helicopter come in from the Bolivian government for an airstrike, since a legit village was being invaded. But I forgot. Oh well.