Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles

Just ordered the core game; as well as the expansion packs of the Starbuck Viper, and Scar’s Cylon Raider!

Name:  7CCDA430-BA45-481B-AD2A-5DEF6DC47DC7.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  BF33D736-C06B-4F86-8FB6-F51751D4F603.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  18.6 KB

Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles is a starship combat miniature game created by the same designers as Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory. The game includes ready-to-play, painted and assembled miniatures, with a special base to support its unique game mechanisms.
    In the game, players take control of one or more Colonial and Cylon ships and face each other in furious dogfights and many other different kinds of missions. The game features innovative mechanisms allowing players to simulate space combat using simple and intuitive rules to imitate the unique dynamics of the battles in the TV show.
    Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles includes both "Classical and "Reimagined" settings as the publisher's license with Universal Brand Development includes both the classic series, created by Glen A. Larson in the late 1970s, and the re-imagined series developed by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, which aired until 2010.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

I’m really excited to have come across this game, which I saw in a game store email. The game itself is not new...it came out in 2018. I saw there are her expansion boosters I mentioned picked up, as well as the ability to add more Colonial Vipers and Cylon Raiders. Hopefully, more will be added in the future.

The Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider miniatures are quite well sculpted and painted, so there is the benefit of getting these in a game pretty quick.

Name:  7D891796-C547-4A9C-8388-5089F9697D53.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  11.4 KB Name:  F742F328-EFF1-4F0A-BA76-7E1B9D065EFE.jpg
Size:  10.5 KB

Note the bases, which are an integral part of game play. For movement, you line up the notch on the front of the stand base, and move the miniature with the aid of a hexagon card (shape, due to homage to the television shows) where you match the back of thee base to the other side of the card.

This follows much the same mechanics found in its’ sister-type games of Wings of War, Wings of Glory (both bi-plane WWI games), as well as the Star Wars and Star Trek miniature games.

The big differences are: Movement is not as far on the map; and the use of “momentum”.... the thrust of engine burn has benefits (like being Abe to whip around and fire behind you while still going the same direction backwards...we’ve seen that on thee show!) and consequences (like overshooting you’re desired positioning, or bumping into stuff!).

The game also uses a neat gadget that logs your speed and other craft controls...

Name:  44CB128C-58E6-4804-81D2-F1AE705E5B51.jpg
Size:  10.6 KB

The miniatures are roughly in par with the aforementioned games....

Name:  CB53BEA3-EC8C-47A4-958D-735E6800C6BB.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  F7EDF1EE-DA57-4486-A4E9-2C99BA65C0CA.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.9 KB

What this game brings to the table for me is, I get to experience fighter combat in the world of Battlestar Galactica! The second thing it brings is, a possible vehicle (game rules, and perhaps components-wise, like counters and control panel gizmo) to play my much small miniatures in large scale battles!

Looks fun.

The miniatures are quite gorgeous! ...and a nice size, too.

I just ordered a pack of spare craft control panels to accommodate Starbuck and Scar on the table, along with the core game ships.

Name:  483A7C30-A663-44D6-B7DD-8F68354E3DBD.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  12.0 KB

I couldn’t help myself....I als saw there was one Starbuck’s Captured Ceylon Raider for sale at Amazon, so I added that in, as well!

Name:  62866E00-AB7A-407D-81EC-3933B2671174.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  8.5 KBName:  B77616BD-F9EB-491B-8A26-CBE8D1422BCE.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  11.5 KB

It looks like some nice, new ships are coming as well, such as Apollo’s Viper, and Raptors! I am very much hopeful this game doesn't fizzle out before a lot more neat products hit the shelves.

Opened the core game this weekend and looked at the components. Gorgeous miniatures, and solid design. I’ve only peeked at the rules but, it reminds me a LOT of the style we are seeing with Star Wars, Star Trek, and even TANKS!

What I am liking here is the simplicity, which gets you gaming fast, but has a lot of tooth to it for longevity of play. If the game company, Ares, sticks with development and expansion packs/units, this could be an awesome game for some time to come. My one big fear is, are there enough BattlestarHeads like me out there, to keep Ares invested in the long haul on this puppy.

I’m loving how the main characters are represented right off the bat!

Looks cool! I hope they stick with it better then Wizards did with A&A minis. Kind of funny how that still riles me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Looks cool! I hope they stick with it better then Wizards did with A&A minis. Kind of funny how that still riles me up.
    You and me both, brotha! ...on both points!

I’d like to see them bring some more of the show characters aboard: Boomer and her Raptor are scheduled for release next, and I am hoping to see a Viper specific to Apollo (I think there’s a Pilot card for him but, to be played with a generic Viper). I’d also like to see maps and accessories.

And on the other point, I still get riled at Hasbro/Wizards off the Coast for their lack of supporting and continuing the line of expansions. I don’t rally see a lot of people playing playing the game anymore, though it springs up from time to time from what I hear. Most people are using he miniatures for other systems...which I guess might make the miniatures a little more valuable on the secondary market....but the problem with re-sale is, you ar seeing more and more, the miniature available but the card lost.