Super Moderator

@##$%!! bleeding paint !

''After reading Duncan's post about his paint bleeding through''

Here is how to minimize the risk off paint bleeding under the masking tape / masking putty :

Get the best Masking tape or putty ,and of course don't spray to much paint the first time ,do it in THIN layers .

And to be better safe than sorry :

What to do ......spray a THIN line of the base color over the edge of the masking tape/putty ,let it dry (use hairdryer to speed curing time and not to close on your model ! )
    if there is any leaking it is the same color.

And than you spray your other color of paint ,
    There shouldn't be any bleeding because the thin line of the base color sealed the edge of your masking tape.
    Last edited by Maarten; 05-21-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    '' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    ''After reading Duncan's post about his paint bleeding through''

Here is how to minimize the risk off paint bleeding under the masking tape / masking putty :

Get the best Masking tape or putty ,and of course don't spray to much paint the first time ,do it in THIN layers .
    I couldn’t agree more on this point! I tried being lazy and use plain old painter’s tape (the blue stuff you get here in the U.S.), which has the benefit for painting walls of not having too powerful an adhesive that will tear up Sheetrock when removed; but that same benefit for walls is not tur for a model, as the weaker bond to surface let paint underneath...at least, that was my experience.

What I ended up doing was getting some Tamiya tape, and man what a difference!

As for putty, I haven’t tried the technique but, I am waiting to see how Duncan liked using it. I know Nick (Geek44) used to have good exults with the stuff, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    And to be better safe than sorry :

What to do ......spray a THIN line of the base color over the edge of the masking tape/putty ,let it dry (use hairdryer to speed curing time and not to close on your model ! )
    if there is any leaking it is the same color.

And than you spray your other color of paint ,
    There shouldn't be any bleeding because the thin line of the base color sealed the edge of your masking tape.
    That’s brilliant, mate! I never thought of doing that, but it makes perfect sense now that you describe it! One of the best tips I’ve seen in a long time!!!
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning