Thoughts on 6 mm post Apocalypse gaming

Last edited by madman; 10-04-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Well! ....that’s a hell of a game idea!!! By the time you got to Mad Max vs the Clanton’s/Earps, that’s the exact vibe I was getting!!! OK, so my thoughts? I love it!

It’s a solid idea that I think would work post apoc, as you mention, but I have a hard time with the recovery of Earth after make nuking...I can’ help but think, even with most survivor’s having come out clean from stasis, remaining clean for long from radiation effects. I think I’d get wary of the ‘Mutant Factor’ in devising whether to give such a game a try; it’s squarely out of my preference area.

However, thinking along the lines of a society a bit worse off from a devastated humanity, such as seen in shows like “The Last Ship”, or even further back to “Jericho”, I am totally grooving on the idea of a 20-21st Century society kicking it back to 19th Century tech, idea. I’d like to see where this could go.

As far as scale, 6 or 10mm wold likely be best for multiple gang/large scale (almost platoon-sized) battling; however, the feel to me is more in the 15 - 28mm range, played in skirmish.

Is this an actual game design idea that you are looking to further develop upon? If so, I can move this for you, from where it currently resides in the War Room (devoted to playing Play-by-Post games) to the Proving Grounds in the War College

If this is the starter most for your playing it solitaire within this thread, we can leave it here (I know...it can be confusing where to post sometimes...no probs, mate!)
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

I'm also curious how you arrived at 6mm for this. It's a highly unusual scale for post-apocalyptic gaming. I assumed you were going to have lots of big mechs, but then I saw you talking about gangs in a town, without large vehicles, and wondered why you'd want to try that in 6mm. Sounds like you want to have an entire detailed town on the table, which could be very cool. Not often done.

I like small models for all the space and maneuvering they allow. You can do just about anything in 6mm...except have individual characters break away and do their own thing, which is something you might want to do in such a fantasy setting as this. I use individual basing in 15mm, and even then it can be difficult to grab individual figures and place them the way you want, just because they're so small. You probably won't have many lone wolves in 6mm. Their bases would prevent them from getting very close to other characters. Any indoor confrontations would be very difficult to model, even more than with larger figures in larger buildings.

WOW! You have quit a bit thought out and in the soup!Fascinating stuff, and I highly encourage you to use this thread to further develop and fill out/in the mechanics, as well as the successes and hurdles you faced along the way.

One of the biggest hopes I’ve had for this forum was offering threads like this to help people understand and figure it game design. That kind of resources just isn’t out there so, I am more than happy to provide the blackboard!!!

I am going to move this thread to the Proving Grounds in the War Room so that folks can understand this is developmental in a game design.

If you try a play test, or want to see if members here will play one through a Play by Post, you are more than welcome to contribute a thread in the War Rooms’, Playtest Wargames subforum.

Please keep this thread going, as you have my and Scott’s attention, and probably many more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So I see things are moved. If others were following maybe a "moved to" post or thread. I do not know if you, as admin, can track who looks at what.
    I left an expiry link back in the War Room, that when clicked, will bring you here. It will disappear after a week, so anyone following it will be able to see it was moved, if they go there first

I don't know how to put maps into the game and may not have a specific map except for the scenario. So for that I might say the crop fields around the town provide open areas 4 hexes from any woods to any buildings (already having said hexes are 50 m and a building hex will be a built up hex despite the exact number of structures contained). Perhaps there is a common system where I can make maps and post (VASSL?).
    There’s not a lot of software out there that can accomplish what you wish. HexDraw is a great software by Jo Bader, and pretty inexpensive (under $50 last I checked). It makes maps akin to what you see in Advanced Squad Leader.

VASSAL is certainly a possibility but, you need to create your own map, save it to file, and import it into the VASSAL Engine. Not rocket science, but not easy, either!

Hmm. I had the specifics of scenario indented now they are all in a row. Any ideas how to get back tabs?
    The forum software is limited in lists and indents, but you can create forms so if you separate things into tables, you might be able to tweak things, but it’s complicated.

I see you don't have separate titles for each post. I guess I will have to make the first line the title.
    Please see this following thread on how to title posts... http://www.wargamingdropzone.com/sho...=4785#post4785

I'm interested. Just didn't have a response, really. I've been interested in FoF for years, and I like reading about it. Some FoF AARs have been inspirational for me. But I've never played it myself.

If anyone still wants to hear anything from me please respond. I can bring it back up. I have, in my opinion, been mulling this around for months and the biggest issue has been a suitable rules set. I have an idea if anyone wants to hear it. Josta it is a development of what I PMed you.

Hey, it's your thread. You're highly encouraged to write as much as you want here! I bet a lot of us will check it out.