Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Introducing Me

I was going to make this, like most posts long and detailed. If you want that let me know. Here I am in a nut shell.

I am just about 60 and started gaming in my early teens in the early '70s. I am into all aspects of gaming, board games, war games, role playing and miniatures. Most games I try to convert to miniatures. I gamed steadily until the early '90s when many of my contemporaries got into computer games. I never liked them. Fast forward to 3 years ago and my teenage son got into games and it was like a switch turned back on. I am more than a little overwhelmed by all the choices now and concentrating on my core interests has helped. Many are the same as before and many are new. During the intervening years I was into RC planes, especially WWI.

Rules

As I said I am looking at using Force on Force. I haven't read the rules for a while and only played it twice so please bear with me and any mistakes please let me know. I have to get a handle on it as I promised to run a game in a week's time.

Man this is difficult as to keep from repeating myself I have to keep the previous page(s) open and next to this one to see what I have already stated.

Rules Ideas and Thoughts

Please see my previous posts for an idea of what I have in mind and these items just define or add to what I have said before.

The primary issues as I see it are going to be all the dice rolling and the effects of leaders.

Since each side is to be made of multiple "units" per player each of various sizes the amount of dice rolling has the potential of slowing the game down drastically. I will run a couple mini scenarios to get a feel for the rules as written but am going to think on alternates right away. One option is a single roll for each unit. The issue here is do I now create some method to convert all troops and weapons in each unit into a single dice roll modifier or keep some semblance of the original game and create a "force level" to qualify a unit for each dice it rolls. For example the rules presently have you rolling one die per trooper (regardless of base weapon) and add additional dice for support weapons also carried by the unit. So a unit having a squad support weapon would add one more die, a trooper with an under slung grenade launcher another die and so forth to a maximum of 10 dice. This automatically will limit your unit's size after all why have 10 guys, an lmg and a grenade launcher which would total about 14 dice when you could have six guys, two lmgs for the same 10 dice. Since we will be dealing with asymmetric units the unit with higher technology gets an additional die. So a group of 6 guys with assault rifles up against 10 guys with lee enfields are already down by 3 dice! I have my ideas but want to reread the rules before I give my ideas in case I am off somewhere.

The other point is leaders. In symmetric combat between like troops all of whom are trained forces leaders have less effect in game terms as there is assumed to be another leader just waiting his turn. In their rules they state units have a preordained command organization and in the case of casualties the next leader is ready to take command. The exception is irregular forces where leaders are needed to activate units. They tend to do little without someone "kicking" them on.

Well I have the feeling leadership should be somewhere in the middle to less likely. I want my units to benefit from leaders and to an extent require or at least rely on them. My touchstone is Chain of Command where being able to activate a leader increases the units under your command who are also able to activate. In CoC there are still limits on how many units a leader can activate but one leader brings at least (usually) two units to action while activating as a unit only activates one and maybe two. Especially since I want the gang leaders to have limits on keeping their forces in action, or keeping the leaders tied to those forces, this is especially important in this situation. In CoC leaders also help the units under their command, either by adding skills to the combat actions or removing detrimental morale effects. This is what I want. Plus a few more benefits. More than squad leader but maybe not as much as a role playing game.

no replies. No interest?

I'm interested. Just didn't have a response, really. I've been interested in FoF for years, and I like reading about it. Some FoF AARs have been inspirational for me. But I've never played it myself.

Fair enough. I don't respond to threads which already have responses because I feel like saying "me too" which seems kinda anal. I know Whitrook is keen but I was thinking I could go email or PMs if performing to an audience of one. Since I know you guys are out there and interested I will go on. In some ways this will keep me moving forward as well. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12