Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scenario book project

One of you suggested it years ago, and today I finally started writing a scenario book. I figure it's the one project I've had in mind that could actually make some side cash, so I should finally start on it. We'll see how far I get.

It's tricky providing something that will benefit many gamers but is also different from what they've seen before. I landed on urban combat, since it's something most of us do sometimes but isn't something people have focused on when making scenario books. So if I finish this thing, gamers from WWII to sci fi will have a book they can buy specifically for urban scenarios.

I plan to include a unique scenario generator at the end, if I can come up with one.

My working title is URBAN SCENARIOS FOR SKIRMISH WARGAMING, MODERN AND FUTURE: 12 UNIQUE SCENARIOS + SCENARIO GENERATOR.
    Last edited by josta59; 06-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Is this a generic book or specific to a system?

I responded to a request for playtesters for a scenario book with the theme of Berlin 1985. Since the boardgame Berlin '85 by SPI is a favorite and as I have a lot of cold war micro armour I jumped in. It turned out the scenarios were skirmish oriented. I begged off and said I would look it over wrt my interests but don't know if it went anywhere. I am pretty sure it was meant to be non system specific. There is also a book by Neil Thomas titled one hour wargames which has a very big section of generic scenarios.

I have Neil Thomas' book and have used it a lot. It doesn't use buildings much, so it kind of inspired this project!

This will be generic. I'm trying to make it useful for whatever rules people might use.

So what is the idea, generic terrain or specific? With generic terrain you can and have to make up a bunch of tiles. Then the players either assemble these terrain tiles in a specific order and alignment (specific terrain) or randomly either dumping them or consulting a chart after rolling dice. Whether you use this or very specific terrain (here is a map of Columbus between X and Y streets and # and # avenues you will have to detail the interior of all buildings on the tiles. This assumes we are talking skirmish games and the ability to place troops inside buildings. Check out Zombicide (free rules on line). They go with generic detailed tiles which you place in specific locations and orientations to create terrain. There are openings between rooms on the inside of the buildings but door to the outside are added per scenario.

Next issue is type of terrain. I am a big fan of the old title Berlin '85. I don't have it in front of me but there were 3 basic occupied or developed terrains. Urban, which I take to mean downtown city areas, Suburban which should mean residential, and Industrial which is self explanatory.

Now urban to me means city core areas. But individual buildings will range in size from encompassing an entire city block to areas where multiple structures fill a city block. Sidewalk can be anywhere from just wide enough for two people to pass to wide expanses with lanes near and far from the adjacent buildings and roads with intervening areas of mature trees. Plazas can be anything from a statue in the middle of an intersection to multi acre parks complete with museums, significant structures or monuments and all the possibilities in between. Are the buildings ruined and areas of rubble need to be mapped or added as overlaying terrain tiles? Many urban spaces have open air markets, significant older structures which have been re purposed into malls or other venues. Then there are museums, theatres, movie houses, shops of all sizes and descriptions, hotels, residential structures and so on.

The same holds true for residential areas, single family homes, duplexes, town homes, multi family structures ranging form small converted larger houses up to those mind numbing apartment structures which were all the rage in the 50s and 60s and are now ghettos in all but name. Add in gas stations, shopping malls, strip malls, grocery and big box stores, small shops on the ground floor of long developed city streets many with multiple stories of residences, or other businesses above them. Don't forget the parks and schools and lots and lots of parking for the stadiums.

I work in a small factory about 7500 sq foot on a street with many such structures all individual and all on the same size plots of land. Industrial can range from half a city sized factory for making anything from cars to steel to tractors to cans of beer down to small appliance repair shops of a few hundred square feet which may be part of a strip mall, a downtown building, or anyone of a number of structures. How many apartments have sprouted up small businesses on the ground floor to cater to occupants of that building? Can anyone say Starbucks?

Now don't forget the zoos, parks, of various sizes, airports, seaports, rivers, lakes, canals, restored or still operating agricultural sites all of which make up parts of many cities.

Sorry, don't want to seem too daunting more trying to give ideas for terrain and potential scenarios.

Thanks, madman! That's helpful, since I'll need a lot of ideas for my twelve scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Thanks, madman! That's helpful, since I'll need a lot of ideas for my twelve scenarios.
    I was thinking you would be cursing me for too many things to do!

I might not include a zoo scenario, but you gave me a lot to think about.

The defense of the airports, at least in Berlin '85 was more keeping them from being easy landing zones either for plane borne Soviet troops or as drop zones. Remember they are probably the largest flat and clear terrain in a city or within many miles.

I planned an airport game a couple of years ago but never played it. I think it's a great idea.

The only problem is that I want the 12 scenarios to be widely playable, and I've never seen an airport layout for skirmish wargaming. So that one might get tossed out in favor of scenarios gamers will be more likely to play.
    Last edited by josta59; 06-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast