Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    The Napoleonic Mystique

    There's something about Napoleonic warfare thaat just gets my heart pumping! Perhaps it owes some to thee uniforms and weaponry to a degree, which are fabulous; but also the sheer scale of most miniatures battles is just jaw-dropping.

    I have to be honest, in that though I greatly admire this facet of miniatures Wargaming, I am not tempted to jump into owning my own forces and all that comes with it The painting alone is an undertaking that makes my head spin!

    But never say never
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Albany Australia
    Posts
    105
    Ah come on now, you only need about a thousand figures, a couple of hundred cavalry, and a few gun batteries. It really is only about six months work
    to paint and base them.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNA View Post
    Ah come on now, you only need about a thousand figures, a couple of hundred cavalry, and a few gun batteries. It really is only about six months work
    to paint and base them.
    It's not the work that scares me...it's the divorce papers from buying thousands of dollars of miniatures, haha
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Albany Australia
    Posts
    105
    Good point on the thousands of dollars. Actually, Napoleonic is one of the cheaper miniature options. No tanks etc to buy. The 1/72 figures usually
    have up to 50 in a box for up to $15. Cavalry around twelve figures + horses at same price. Cannons - two per box same price but that is usually
    a full battery game wise. So 500 figures at say $75, 40 cavalry $50ish, 8 cannons $50ish. Basing is usually on card. So $175 for a good starter
    amount.

    The real kicker is the time to paint. Napoleonic uniforms tend to be a lot more colourful than WWII. Doing a reasonable job on fifty French infantry
    can be, no, is a few hours work.

    So the divorce papers are more likely to occur due to your wife actually forgetting what you look like.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNA View Post
    Good point on the thousands of dollars. Actually, Napoleonic is one of the cheaper miniature options. No tanks etc to buy. The 1/72 figures usually
    have up to 50 in a box for up to $15. Cavalry around twelve figures + horses at same price. Cannons - two per box same price but that is usually
    a full battery game wise. So 500 figures at say $75, 40 cavalry $50ish, 8 cannons $50ish. Basing is usually on card. So $175 for a good starter
    amount.

    The real kicker is the time to paint. Napoleonic uniforms tend to be a lot more colourful than WWII. Doing a reasonable job on fifty French infantry
    can be, no, is a few hours work.

    So the divorce papers are more likely to occur due to your wife actually forgetting what you look like.
    Hmmmmm.....so far, I'm not hearing any negatives
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Albany Australia
    Posts
    105
    You mean like this ?

    Name:  robbo-170714-59685eeeaabb1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  46.1 KB

  7. #7
    I also enjoy looking at these games with masses of troops in colorful uniforms, ACW battles also look good to my eye.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    I also enjoy looking at these games with masses of troops in colorful uniforms, ACW battles also look good to my eye.
    I agree on both counts!!! I used to setup huge battles with my little green Army Men, back as a wee sprout. Like, the whole living room was an enormous battle. The only thing more frightening that the simulated bloodshed on the battlefield, was the sight of the dog galloping at full speed out across the troops on the way to get snackies!

    But seriously, it is quite a sight, seeing mass regiments of soldiers facing off.

    I always thought it must be amazing to see Napoleonic, simply for the color of the uniforms!
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Albany Australia
    Posts
    105
    6mm block Napoleonics (I think it's 6) are pretty cool to me. Units are in blocks of figures and take up a couple inches each.
    From the pics I've seen they come up pretty well when painted too. A good alternative for those without time(painting and basing)
    or space to play on (hell, sounds like Doctor Who - time and space).

  10. #10
    Closest I get is Command and Colors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •