Super Moderator

Budget processing with GIMP.

GIMP is free software which can give you the same results as Photoshop and the like.

It's been around for a long time now and is very mature. I tried it years ago for a while and it was ok
    but then I got Photoshop through a job I was doing and it was legal so I got used to using it as GIMP
    was less intuitive as they say. With the latest system and hardware the older version of Photoshop
    just doesn't work anymore. It was time to see what was available at my favourite price - nothing.

The latest version of GIMP still has bits that are a bit odd to me to use but it does a great job and
    has a lot of features that allow it to be a close rival to commercial software. The download is no worries
    and there was no problem installing.

If you are on a tight budget (or if you are like me - tight) then this is well worth a look.

The only thing I really had trouble with was remembering what format of file to use. This affects layers
    and the like but as with anything, once you know....

I was thinking of using it to design wargames. I have a hex sheet fed into it. It looks terribly complicated though. Best I could do is basic colours and then send it off to a professional artist I think.

Super Moderator
    If you want me to help I can probably do some for you. The trick is to use layers. You work on one and have the hexes as outlines with the white interior actually transparent.
    The hex layer then shows over the top of the 'picture' underneath. It is complicated at first but like photoshop it allows you to get really good results once you know what
    to do.