Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    The airport is one of the objectives on the map. Whoever controls it will be able to invade enemy hexes with fewer limitations, just as you suggest. But the rebels are outpacing the Chinese in terms of advantages. That's why they need to focus on taking some of what the rebels have already occupied.

Besides, we're still in the challenge phase, and this is the time for the Chinese to invade a hex occupied by the rebels.

After the challenge phase, both sides will be able to claim a free hex adjacent to one they occupy. The airport is too far away for the Chinese to even do that, at this point. It will take time and a lot of bullets.

It was a rough fight, but the SPAR scouts managed to break away from the checkpoint and recon the auto factory.

I used my new, simple QUIK FRIK rules for that fight, and at this point I will be switching from No End in Sight to QUIK FRIK. It shouldn't change the campaign much. I think the biggest change is that I'll be able to get through scenarios faster, which will help prevent boredom.

Now that the auto factory has been scouted out, the SPAR battalion will gain a numeric advantage over the rebels when they assault it. They won't outnumber the rebels, because that would be unbalanced, for sure. But I'll skew their numbers a little more than I normally would. It will be interesting if they can turn this blue hex red, thereby cutting off and isolating the hex with the power station that the rebels just took over.

The new table will just shift the scene slightly to the northeast. I never did show the table for the checkpoint scenario, so I'll take a picture of it before I change it.

The new one will look something like this:

Name:  Global Links Auto Company table.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.9 KB

I'm getting to know this town pretty well! It would be amazing if I ever got to actually visit.
    Last edited by josta59; 02-17-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Game 2: Assault on the Auto Factory

Situation
    It's time for SPAR to strike back at the rebels in a big way. They won't underestimate them again. This will be a daytime strike, similar to when the rebels took the power station.

Objectives
    SPAR (attackers): Run the rebels out of the auto factory.
    SPLM-IO (defenders): Keep the auto factory under rebel control.

Stakes
    If SPAR wins, they'll turn this blue hex red! And they'll gain the ability to receive extra support for all scenarios, which the rebels have been enjoying since the campaign started but will lose if they lose this game.
    If the rebels win, they'll continue to enjoy the current status quo.

Deployment
    The SPLM-IO rebels will set up first, anywhere on the table.
    The SPAR platoon may enter anywhere on the south and/or east edge. The scout team will arrive in the unarmored car.

Special rules
    SPLM-IO moves first each turn.

HMG, RPG, and grenades will use 3d6 on the combat table (the difference is in the explosive effect of the RPG and grenades, and the range limit of grenades). SAW will use 2d6. All other weapons use 1d6.

Each side may only use 1 grenade per turn.

RPGs can only be fired 3 times total. Figures carrying RPGs attack with small arms when not firing the RPGs.

Order of battle
    SPLM-IO:
    1 squad of 7 infantry with 1 SAW + 1 squad leader
    1 squad of 7 infantry with 1 RPG + 1 squad leader
    1 squad of 7 infantry with small arms + 1 squad leader
    1 platoon commander (stealthy, does not receive opportunity fire)
    1 technical with HMG

SPAR:
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with SAW + 1 squad leader
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with RPG + 1 squad leader
    1 team of 3 elite scouts with small arms (quick, add 2" to movement), + 1 team leader (iron jaw, subtract 1 friction point every time FPs are sustained)
    1 elite platoon commander (quick, add 2" to movement)
    2 armored cars with HMG
    1 unarmored car, no weaponry
    Last edited by josta59; 02-27-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Here's the table I had set up for the checkpoint scenario. I set up a whole table for a skirmish that took place in a very small area of it, bottom middle. I wasn't sure what would happen.

Name:  20200222_135950.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  85.3 KB

Now, thanks to the modularity of my table, I can just shift the scene down and to the left for the auto factory assault.

Here's the new table, with 25 rebels already set up in and around the auto factory at middle left. The card to the left of the table displays the inside of the small factory.

Name:  20200222_144042.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  87.4 KB

The SPARs had a difficult time, but they managed to take the auto factory, turning that blue hex red and ending the first challenge phase of the campaign. Here's the updated map:

Name:  Juba campaign map_3-25-20.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  105.7 KB

Holding the auto factory means the SPARs can receive extra support while invading or being invaded. And the rebels will no longer enjoy that advantage.
    Last edited by josta59; 03-25-2020 at 06:31 PM.

That brings us to our first consolidation phase of the campaign. Each faction takes turns claiming 1 free hex adjacent to a previously claimed or captured hex (in other words, a hex of their own color). I flipped a coin to see which side would go first, and it's China (SPAR).

For China, the choice of free hex comes down to:
    1. Take the hex with the airport, which will allow them to invade any hex on the map except the rebel HQ hex.
    2. Take the hex with the ministries, adjacent to the rebel HQ hex, where the Chinese civilians are being held (and possibly their comrade-in-arms, Snake). This will make it possible to invade that hex in the next turn. Holding this hex will also add 5 conquest points to their total at the end of the campaign, and they can add defensive positions to the hex.

It's fairly obvious which one they should take. It's the ministries hex.

For the rebels, the only free hex remaining that offers a strategic advantage is the one with the airport, so they take it. That will allow them to invade any hex except the SPAR HQ hex.

So now it looks like this:

Name:  Juba campaign map_3-25-20b.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  105.9 KB
    Last edited by josta59; 03-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.

That brings us to the first score phase of the campaign. For each faction, add the number of hexes held. This is the number of conquest points to be added to the running total (HQ hexes get 2 points). This concludes the turn.

At the end of campaign turn 1, each faction has 5 conquest points.

"Breaking news out of South Sudan tonight. The civil war there has been heating up as of late, and we've just received news that the Chinese military has taken over the capital city, Juba. That's right, military forces out of China have taken over the capital of the troubled country of South Sudan in the heart of Africa. We'll have more details as they come in, but many in Washington are wondering how the U.S. will respond to this seemingly unprovoked act of war. Stay tuned for further developments."

"Thank God you've come." The president of South Sudan welcomed the commander of the Chinese SPAR battalion with open arms. "The rebel incursion has become a nightmare in our beautiful city. No one else has come to help."

"The People's Republic of China stands with you, Mr. President," said the commander. "We're here to get our people out of danger, but the Chinese government has a vested interest in South Sudan, and we wish to continue our illustrious relationship."

"I'm sorry for how the world is viewing the situation," said the president, gesturing to a television across the room. The Chinese commander focused on the newscast, and his face became stern. The president continued, "It's not fair to you, when you're only doing what any reasonable government would do under the circumstances."

"It's no surprise the Americans would take political advantage in such a situation," the commander replied. "We stepped into this position inadvertently. We'll have to tread carefully, balancing the political with the strategic."

"Let me know what I can do to help," said the president.

The SPAR commander thought hard. "Maybe we can come up with a mutually beneficial plan."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast