Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    At this point, SPAR is being reinforced with a brigade from the Army Marine Corps, arriving via the aircraft carrier Shandong, so SPAR won't be spread so thin. This will allow them to set up defensive positions in the ministries section of the city.

But the rebels will be getting some support of their own...

Turn 2 begins with a challenge phase. Each faction may invade 1 enemy hex to capture it, resulting in a game. I flip a coin to see which side goes first, and it's China again. They're on a roll now, and they have a huge opportunity to use their boost in numbers to mount a rescue of their people in the rebel HQ hex. But will they be facing more than they could possibly expect?

But first I must roll to see if there will be another pre-invasion scenario. I have to roll a 1 to get that, but I've rolled a 1 twice out of 2 rolls so far. Surely not this time....

It's a 4! So we'll go straight to the invasion. It's a biggie this time, and it will involve mixed forces--not just elite vs non-elite, but rather each side will have a bit of each.

Game 3: Assault on the Rebel HQ!

This is where the Chinese civilian engineers are being held, and possibly the SPAR called Snake. It's in the area of town just west of the ministries, and it looks like this:

Name:  Rebel HQ.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  103.0 KB

So the SPAR plus could come from the top and right of the above map. Or arrive disguised in buses to be stored or repaired in the compound to the bottom of the picture. I wonder what a customer(?) police station is? Could also provide a hot spot or jump off point.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So the SPAR plus could come from the top and right of the above map. Or arrive disguised in buses to be stored or repaired in the compound to the bottom of the picture. I wonder what a customer(?) police station is? Could also provide a hot spot or jump off point.
    Ha! Good thoughts. Too bad I don't have any buses. But cars could work.

I saw the customer police station on Google Maps, but I don't see it in the image I posted. Did you look this up on Google Maps?

You are now one with the local government who would supply you with anything. I found the location and that is how I found the bus repair or storage area to the south and the police station. Based on the number of buses they must come in and out often so having your teams hiding on the floor until they are masked by the repair sheds on the north side of the bus repair compound should work. Just show more of the map so others can understand what I am thinking.

I mean I don't have any models of buses, LOL. I think I saw some at the model train shop back in Ohio, but I didn't buy any.

Wow, you must be really into this campaign to be looking it up on Google Maps yourself! That's great! Nice ideas, thanks.

Paper models, just like your shacks. Draw something simple up yourself or look for a freebie on line. Don't let your imagination stop your resourcefulness. I have been watching for some time and know how much you come up with by yourself!

Besides, use a roll or assume they make it to the repair facility. Start from the line of sheds at the north edge of it. A couple paper buses for effect. And yes your campaign has me hooked. I would go with a different level of detail but I have nothing happening so look who is really "into" this. I like a lot of the narrative elements, just don't know if I could pull it off myself.

Or just use your trucks and either call them buses or make paper bus covers for them.

Game 3: Assault on the Rebel HQ, scenario details

Situation
    China is done underestimating the rebels and will now bring a large force against their stronghold on the west side of the city, to rescue their civilian engineers. They mount up a large force along with the South Sudanese military, amassing at the Chinese Embassy a few blocks east of where the civilians are held. China will keep a low profile during this attack, allowing South Sudan to show the world it's still acting under its own authority. But will there be more facing them than they could ever expect?

A SPAR rescue squad has practiced for the rescue and was snuck behind the compound in vehicles towed there during the night by government officials pretending to be from a private towing company.

Objectives
    China and South Sudan (attackers):
    1) Rescue the Chinese civilians.
    2) Capture rebels and control their HQ.

SPLM-IO (defenders):
    1) Maintain control of the HQ.
    2) Keep the civilians prisoner.

Stakes
    If China wins, they'll turn this blue HQ hex red! And they'll receive the 2 conquest points per turn for controlling an HQ hex, taking those points from the rebels.
    If the rebels win, they'll continue to enjoy the current status quo.

Deployment
    The SPLM-IO rebels and US SOG squad will set up first, anywhere on the table. They may also set up strong defensive positions with HMGs.
    The SPAR rescue squad may set up in their vehicles at least 12" west of the HQ buildings.
    China Army Marine Corps and South Sudan Army may enter anywhere on the east edge on turn 1.

Special rules
    SPLM-IO has initiative each turn.

Each turn, after completing steps 2-5 in the turn sequence once, repeat steps 2-5 once again before moving on to step 6 (allows up to 6 units each side to activate per turn)

HMG, RPG, and grenades will use 3d6 on the combat table (the difference is in the explosive effect of the RPG and grenades, and the range limit of grenades). SAW will use 2d6. All other weapons use 1d6.

Each side may only use 1 grenade per turn.

RPGs can only be fired 3 times total. Figures carrying RPGs attack with small arms when not firing the RPGs.

Each time the SPAR rescue team enters a room of a building, roll 1d6. If they roll a 6, they have found the civilians and must get them off the table alive after 1 turn of doing nothing (representing the time needed to prepare the civilians to escape; no activations necessary for this).

Order of battle
    SPLM-IO (rebels):
    1 squad of 7 infantry with 1 SAW + 1 squad leader
    1 squad of 7 infantry with 1 RPG + 1 squad leader
    1 squad of 7 infantry with small arms + 1 squad leader
    1 platoon commander
    1 technical with HMG
    3 HMG crews in strong defensive positions

US CIA SOG squad
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with SAW + 1 squad leader

Sudan People's Liberation Army:
    1 squad of 7 infantry with small arms + 1 squad leader
    1 platoon commander
    2 armored cars with HMG

China People's Liberation Army Marine Corps
    2 YJ2080 Sentinels (GAZ Tigrs) with HMG

China SPAR rescue squad
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with SAW + 1 squad leader
    2 unarmored cars
    Last edited by josta59; 03-31-2020 at 02:19 PM.

I'm waiting for some HMMWVs to arrive from the UK. I can only assume the postal service and customs are moving along as usual, but I don't know. Once they arrive, I need to assemble and paint them before I start this scenario. We're moving to a new house during May, so I might not start this scenario until June, so I don't have to take it all apart and reassemble it in the middle of the assault.

I also have a new N-scale hotel, for which I need to draw some interiors.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast