Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Battle for Juba, South Sudan, 2021

The year is 2021, and the situation in South Sudan has come to a boiling point...again. And it all goes down in the capital city of Juba.

One thing I love about this forum is that it gives me a place to create and share at the same time. I could be writing this campaign story in a word processor, but knowing someone may read it forces me to be a little more creative and precise. Which is more fun. And I often end up learning more.

Anyone remember my previous scenario set in Juba? There's something about that town that just makes me want to do battle there. This time I plan to do it for a while.

But things are different this time. Because now some bigger powers have gotten involved. NATO, under pressure from the United States (under the CIA's influence), has backed the anti-governmental forces (SPLM-IO) in South Sudan. They hope to topple the current militaristic president, who has been murdering and torturing journalists for years, and replace him with someone they can control. Couldn't have anything to do with the oil fields in the area, of course.

And the government in South Sudan, led by the SPLM, is now supported by China, who has an engineering group in Juba, a stone's throw from the US Embassy. That engineering group was just taken over, in hostile manner, by the SPLM-IO. White men in suits were seen in the area during this event, raising suspicion among the locals, and among the Chinese. Things are starting to smell pretty American around here.

China responded by sending its Special Forces Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion of the PLAMC. They inserted by way of the White Nile into the east side of the city, in the economic sector. They're only there to advise the government in case of new attacks. But they're ready for anything.

Here's my campaign map. In the interest of realism, everything I've labeled on the map is a real place that could create interesting scenarios. Many of them can make a big difference in the campaign, as I've outlined in my campaign rules.

Name:  Juba campaign map.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  103.0 KB

Oh this could get interesting fast.

So will the games be skirmish or larger, say platoon to company per side?

With the above any idea on rules?

Will you be giving us run downs of units and operators in the area before the start or are you hoping to surprise, or you will generate or otherwise create them as they are needed in order to maintain suspense for yourself and others?

Looking forward to this very much. Good luck.

I'm so glad you're interested, madman!

I'll be using the No End in Sight rules from Nordic Weasel. Each game will have about a platoon per side.

I plan to post an order of battle before each game, along with individual scenarios. So no surprises planned. I have been entertaining the idea of throwing another nation into the mix, but I haven't worked out how to do that without making things overly complicated.

But then, it is a solo campaign, so I can do whatever makes me happy.

Setup phase
    A lot of things start happening at this point. China's SPAR Battalion receives orders to head toward the captured engineering building, securing strategic areas of town along the way. The SPLM-IO has taken a few Chinese as hostages in the building, but the Chinese are using diplomacy to secure them until diplomacy no longer works. In the meantime, they're preparing to secure the city against any further hostilities.

More to come soon.

With no resistance on the east side of the city, SPAR started heading west. They easily secured the Mobil gas station across the street from the beautiful All Saints Cathedral. This is a major fuel depot (I don't know if it actually is, but for this campaign, it is). It will allow SPAR to conduct scouting missions to weaken the enemy before invasions on a roll of 4-6.

Then they headed northwest and took over the Sam International Power Station, just off Airport Road. This gives them more control over which side attacks first during an invasion.

Meanwhile, the SPLM-IO has mobilized, using the momentum they've gained to do some securing of their own.

More to come soon.

Work is interrupting my fun today, LOL. Anyway...

Elements of the anti-government SPLM-IO, under the influence of white men in suits, start making their way from China's engineering building toward the Global Links Auto Company in the section of town known as Hai-Amarat. Along the way, they struggle with local police and security guards to overtake a few of the government ministry buildings (not gamed, since this is just the setup phase). Not terribly difficult, thanks to a few "advisors" in western military fatigues who are along for the ride. They also secure the US Embassy, which is oddly easy for them (wink, wink).

Then they make their way to the auto company and take it, too. This will allow them to receive extra support while invading or being invaded, because they can repair their vehicles more easily.

Here's what my campaign map looks like after all that:

Name:  Juba_setup_01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  99.9 KB

You can see that the anti- and pro-government forces are already adjacent to each other, at the end of the setup phase. The pro-government forces already hold two advantageous objectives, while the anti-government forces hold one.

[EDIT: I totally forgot about the hex containing the bulk of the ministries, including the largest building that I am assuming is the capitol. Blue should've gone there first. But that only gives extra conquest points at the end of the campaign, so there's no rush. It wouldn't have helped them in the early battles.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by josta59; 10-04-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Pre-game 1 scenario: Ambush on Melrose Place

Not kidding. There is actually a road in Juba called Melrose Place, and it connects the blue and red hexes on the map above. There are mostly hotels in this part of town, and this is where a Chinese SPAR scout team spots a squad of anti-government South Sudanese, looking for a place to rest after the auto company takeover.

Name:  Melrose Place.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  87.6 KB

Blue is the invader because they rolled higher and got to go first in the challenge phase. But then they rolled a 1 and will have to send their squad into an ambush scenario!

Following this ambush, there will be a platoon vs platoon game. No matter how that turns out, red gets the next move on the map, to finish the challenge phase.

Scenario details coming soon.
    Last edited by josta59; 10-04-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Looking at that picture made me really want to supplement my table with more buildings. So I just made my first purchase from CustomZScales on Etsy. I've been eyeing their card stock buildings for a long time.

Pre-game 1: Ambush on Melrose Place, scenario details

Situation
    Night scenario on a lit street. No one is equipped with night vision goggles. The SPAR patrol isn't carrying assault gear yet because they don't want to scare the locals. They just want to take the enemy squad in for questioning. But the SPLM-IO squad won't want that at all.

Objectives
    SPLM-IO (attackers): Run the SPAR patrol back east, off the table. Kill as many as possible.
    SPAR (defenders): Make the SPLM-IO squad surrender by causing them to break. Make retreat westward impossible.

Stakes
    If SPLM-IO wins, they get a full platoon for game 1, in which they'll try to take the red hex containing the power station. SPAR will be short 1/2 squad.
    If SPAR wins, they get a full platoon for game 1, in which they'll defend the red hex. SPLM-IO will be short 1 squad.

Deployment
    The SPLM-IO squad will set up first, walking together along Melrose Place. The SPAR patrol will then set up out of sight, at least 12" to the east of the SPLM-IO squad.

Special rules
    Following setup, SPAR will roll on the Complications table.

At the beginning of each turn, SPLM-IO rolls 1d6 and SPAR rolls 1d3 to determine the number of intel points available for use as extra activation points during each phase of that turn.

SPLM-IO moves first in turn 1, toward SPAR.

Following the first move, activation order will be determined by die roll (SPLM-IO on 1-3, SPAR on 4-6) until one side is exhausted.

As scouts, SPLM-IO add +1 to all rush rolls, to a maximum of 6".

If SPLM-IO intends to spend all its activation points moving, they may add +1 to the activation roll.

Because it's night, attacks and reaction fire may only be conducted within a range of 12".

Also because it's night, any activation roll of 1 adds 1 stress point.

Even though they're ambushing, the SPAR patrol will not fire until fired upon.

SPLM-IO will roll on the Pressure table at the end of each turn prior to being fired upon. Their total pressure will not exceed 3 prior to being fired upon. After being fired upon, they will only roll on this table each time they're attacked, with total pressure counted as normal.

Order of battle
    SPLM-IO:
    1 squad of 7 trained, fanatical infantry with small arms, moderate motivation
    1 squad leader

SPAR:
    1 team of 3 professional, regular infantry with small arms, moderate motivation (Rooster, Monkey, and Snake)
    1 team leader (Rabbit)
    Last edited by josta59; 10-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Sorry to say but it is really hard to make out anything from those maps. Is it possible to make available a really large map with the hex and details on? Thank you.
    The second hexmap I posted takes up 2/3 the height of my large monitor. Did you see that one? I can read it. I don't think I can get it bigger than that without leaving out some hexes. Sorry.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast