Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Whoa!

US CIA SOG squad
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with SAW + 1 squad leader

What is this? And it appears to be part of the "rebel" forces! Things are gonna get very interesting (doing our best Henry Gibson impersonation).

I am in Canada not the US but mail "appears" to be working as usual. That is I only see stuff in the box two or three days per week despite my assumptions I have enough for every day. I think they think being rural we should be thankful to get it more than once a week.

I have no idea who has been supplying South Sudan up to this point. So whether Humvees are most suitable or something Soviet, oops Russian, or something from some European source would be more appropriate. That is why I have been buying French and British support and combat equipment for my African imaginations to go with the heaps of Soviet and American stuff I collected back when what we call now Cold War was ultra modern. My point of reference is '70s and on for my period wrt equipment.
    Last edited by madman; 03-30-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Thinking on the hotel.

If it is over a story or so you could make one floor "posh" for westerners with larger rooms and individual bathrooms. The other floor(s) could have communal bathrooms (one for each gender and don't forget showers) and larger common rooms shared by four to twelve occupants in bunk beds. Think low rent versions of the European hostels. Or in this part of town everything is low rent. Just some ideas sent your way.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Whoa!

US CIA SOG squad
    1 squad of 6 elite infantry with SAW + 1 squad leader

What is this? And it appears to be part of the "rebel" forces! Things are gonna get very interesting (doing our best Henry Gibson impersonation).
    Ha ha! That's the big surprise. I've been hinting at it since the very beginning.

The HMMWVs aren't for South Sudan. They're to stand in as China's GAZ Tigrs. The South Sudanese will be using old armored cars from WWII.

Nice idea on the hotel, thanks.

Here, at last, is my table for this scenario. This is every building I own!

Hurray for having some decent lighting again in my new study.

Name:  20200621_173654.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  92.4 KB

Good to get back into it?

What is all the Kraft paper around the silos, factory and house, paving?

So far so good.

It's dirt. It's a poor model of the real area I showed several posts back, which has a huge dirt lot.

I guess I could get some actual dirt from the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    So far so good.

It's dirt. It's a poor model of the real area I showed several posts back, which has a huge dirt lot.

I guess I could get some actual dirt from the yard.
    I get scraps and full table cuttings (like 5x10) of different color felt from Joann’s Fabrics...simulates grass, dirt, desert, and I even have a black with sparkles for space! Not that expensive and infinitely reusable.

I did a WWII diorama once several forums back, where I had green felt laid down, with crumpled newspaper underneath for making hills. I bought some sand at Michael’s Craft Store (with 40% off coupon they have every week — it’s cleaner than yard dirt, and no ants!) and put it in a catchup squirt bottle, which lets you spread it evenly for first roads. A piece of blue foam sheeting (Michael’s), cut to the shape of a pond. Model Railroading trees. Rocks and pebbles from outside. Buildings I’d made and bought. All in all, super cheap, storable, and ultimately reusable!

Just some thoughts
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Kraft paper works as long as YOU know what is represents. I picked up many different pieces of felt a couple years ago. In Hamilton there is one street with dozens of fabric stores. I probably have a half dozen colours and a couple colours of corduroy. I intend dry brushing various greens on the two browns and cutting into different patches to represent fields. Also leave a few brown to represent plowed fields.

I didn't know what the paper represented. This was not a critique of techniques, just trying to understand the game table.

Those are, in fact, pieces of grass mat turned upside down. So there's lots of friction between them and the grass mat underneath. It's a grass on grass situation.

Here are the defenders of the HQ hex, except for the three HMG crews in strong defensive positions, which I'll probably represent with game counters, sadly, because I don't have a better idea yet besides buying and painting more figures, which would delay this game even further.

The CIA SOG team is on the right, leading the way.

Name:  20200623_111442.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  76.4 KB

EDIT: I placed all the HMG crews in building windows. I'll probably put figures on top of game counters, so I know what they are. They won't be moving much anyway.

I hope I have enough figures. This will be my biggest battle ever!
    Last edited by josta59; 06-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast