Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 67 of 67
  1. #61
    Super Moderator josta59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Ohio
    Posts
    834
    As I think about where to set these guys up, I realize that, as a solo gamer, I can't have my rescuers not know where the hostages are, and simultaneously have the defenders know where they are. I can only choose one.

    I like my rescuers not knowing where they are, because that makes it more fun. But it's awkward that the defenders are in the dark, and I have to set them up not knowing where the hostages are.

  2. #62
    Administrator Whiterook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    As I think about where to set these guys up, I realize that, as a solo gamer, I can't have my rescuers not know where the hostages are, and simultaneously have the defenders know where they are. I can only choose one.

    I like my rescuers not knowing where they are, because that makes it more fun. But it's awkward that the defenders are in the dark, and I have to set them up not knowing where the hostages are.
    Could you go with a, ‘have an idea’ method’? In other words, setup Event Markers on the diorama (could be extremely small, like a penny or bead). As your forces move to one, roll a 1d6 for direction (think hex) towards the next nearest marker. Eventually, they could make it to the spot the target s, that has a marker, of course. Put a mechanic in that doesn’t allow backtracking (re-roll). Just a thought.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

  3. #63
    Super Moderator josta59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Ohio
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Could you go with a, ‘have an idea’ method’? In other words, setup Event Markers on the diorama (could be extremely small, like a penny or bead). As your forces move to one, roll a 1d6 for direction (think hex) towards the next nearest marker. Eventually, they could make it to the spot the target s, that has a marker, of course. Put a mechanic in that doesn’t allow backtracking (re-roll). Just a thought.
    Interesting. How would I know when they've found the target?

    The way I have it set up now, the rescuers roll 1d6 every time they enter a room. The first time they roll a 6, they've found the hostages.

  4. #64
    Super Moderator josta59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Ohio
    Posts
    834
    Whew, I do have enough figures for this scenario, with few to spare. This is gonna be huge.

    Here are the attackers, with the SPAR rescue squad in front, followed by the Chinese marines with their Sentinels, and then the South Sudanese soldiers with their armored cars.

    Name:  20200624_152415.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  77.5 KB

  5. #65
    Member madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    An hour north of Toronto
    Posts
    201
    Looking forward to this one. I think the campaign may hinge on this event.

  6. #66
    Super Moderator josta59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Ohio
    Posts
    834
    I'm excited, too! But this is a well balanced scenario, I think. If the rebels can hold off the attackers, with the SOG team's help, then nothing changes.

    EDIT: I just changed the stakes to make things clearer and more interesting, since there are two objectives this time:

    If China and South Sudan complete objective 2 or both objectives, they'll turn this blue HQ hex red! And they'll receive the 2 conquest points per turn for controlling an HQ hex, taking those points from the rebels.
    If they complete only objective 1, the rebels win and will continue to enjoy the current status quo.
    If they complete no objectives, the rebels win, and China will lose political points, causing their numbers to be reduced in the next game.
    Last edited by josta59; 06-25-2020 at 12:53 PM.

  7. #67
    Administrator Whiterook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Interesting. How would I know when they've found the target?
    Well, my premise hinges on:

    1. Your rescue force having a predetermined entrance zone (think, when in a board wargamer, entering on a south edge of a map between a certain string of hexes on that edge — you’re funneling in units through a control point); and
    2. You have a predetermined place where when your captives are held, so when the rescuers enter — poof — the captives are placed and the audience goes, “Holy crap! I didn’t see that coming.”

    ...#1 and #2 are far apart.

    ...the direction move per die roll simulates a trying-to-find, random house by house search. Often on the battlefield, if you didn’t have Intel as to where the captives actually are, you drop Spec Ops forces in-zone and they start a random search, all while hell drops in on them in rather quick order, typically.

    The opposite rationale to that would be you DO have actionable Intel and have either a specific target (building, cave, holding pen, etc.) to go to in somewhat a direct method; or a ‘zone’ that could encompass several buildings, add you need to clear all to find.

    Just thoughts


    Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    The way I have it set up now, the rescuers roll 1d6 every time they enter a room. The first time they roll a 6, they've found the hostages.
    That criteria fits the ‘opposite rationale’ I posed above, post you’re coming up with it oof course Works very well, and I like the *unknown* mechanic involved. My original thought was to speak to Scott as rescuer player vs Scott as jailer​ player.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •