Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Turn 2, Formation Draw 1, End Turn Marker; Draw 2, Soviet 1st Tank

Well, the Soviet Horde is on the loose again! Of course, I would have opened Turn 2 with artillery barrages — I have three HE FMs left, maximum of two per turn — but I have no LOS with my HQ, due to the Smoke area I rained earlier. Ooops.

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers (None onboard, starting Turn 2).

Command Check: All units in Command.

Rally Phase: None Required.

Operations Phase:

— Fire (Reduced Range -1 To Hit) Soviet T-72 platoon City hex M7 at American Abrams/HQ in City hex N6 (+1 die Concealment). Three hits! The Abrams platoon rolled one Save, so it was Disrupted and Reduced. Roll for HQ status, and passes the check.

— Fire (Reduced Range -1 To Hit) the other Soviet T-72 platoon City hex M7 at American Abrams/HQ in City hex N6 (+1 die Concealment). Three hits again! The Abrams platoon rolled 0 Saves, so it was KIA’d, along with the HQ.

— One T-72 in L5 movs to City the N6 for Control, but comes under Opportunity Fire in N6 (Open/Smoke hex M6 has blocked LOS from City N6) from the American ITV in hex V6. So it’s still gained Control of the hex, and therefore Bergengiphel. American ITV rolls two hits! Soviets roll no Saves, so the T-72 platoon is Disrupted.

A note on the ITV: It is an ATGM unit so, if any attack with it misses, its ammo is depleted and will be unable to fire a whole next turn!

— Move T-72 platoon/HQ from L5 to Q5

— Move two T-72 platoons from hex P3 to Woods hex T3. Infantry in V3 Opportunity Fires and misses.

Move two T-72 platoons from hex P4 to Woods hex T4.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Turn 2, Formation Draw 3, Team Yankee

Team Yankee gets a little retribution

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers (None onboard, starting Turn 2).

Command Check: All units Out Of Command, due to the lost HQ, so Command Status rolls are made for all units. All units Rally!

Rally Phase: Abrams in Hill V8 roll for Rally, and pass...Disruption marker removed. That’s a good thing for the Americans!

Operations Phase:

— Fire American ITV in V6 at Soviet T-72 platoon in City N6. One Hit. Soviet rolls (with City Defensive Bonus +1 die, and +1 die Concealment) for two Saves. It is now Ammo Depleted for Turn 3

...to be continued

OK, I’m back...Saturday night. Playing this a little at a time!

— American Infantry and M113 platoons boldly move across the bridge into Eisenbach, hex T4 to Assault. Yeah, I now that seems a little (OK, a LOT!) bold but, The Soviets have four T-72 platoons facing them that will just start lobbing shells across the river next opportunity, so it’s Do or Die Time for the Yanks. There is no Defensive Terrain Bonus for the Soviets. Americans get one hit at one T-72 platoon; Soviets get two hits at the randomly determined M113; Disrupted M113 and Infantry retreat back, onto the bridge.

Well, that was disappointing!!! It did bring up YET ANOTHER question: The Soviets were Ops Complete, yet they participated in Assault counterattack. I see nothing in the rules that say you cannot participate thusly, even though you are Ops Complete, but I’ll check on it before I figure out m move with the Abrams on Hill V8.

The answer is, you can be an Ops Complete defender and still Counterattack in Assault!

That’s what I thought, as the rules did not prohibit it, and I can see it from a battlefield perspective. This is what the results of that little fire first look like....

— The Abrams platoon on Hill V8 decided to swing around the hill’s perimeter to Hill hex U7 and Moving Fire at the T-72 platoon on Road hex Q6. There’s a +1 on the To Hit, but it’s nullified by the -1 To Hit for Close Range. One hit and no saves/HQ rolled OK. Result = T-72 platoon Disrupted. That at least limits their next turn actions and makes them a little more vulnerable!

SITREP:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Turn 2, Formation Draw 4, Team Yankee

Team Yankee gets a back-to-back draw!

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers.

Command Check: All units Out Of Command, due to the lost HQ, so Command Status rolls are made for all units. Infantry hex U4 in Command; ITV and Abrams are Out of Command.

Rally Phase: M113 in Bridge hex U4 roll for Rally, and pass...Disruption marker removed. That’s a good thing for those poor buggars stranded on the bridge in plain sight.

Operations Phase:

— The Infantry and M113 will move back in for a second try at an Assault of the T-72 platoons in Eisenbach hex T5! There is no Defensive Terrain Bonus for the Soviets. American M113 scores a hit; the infantry score two hits (factoring in the infantry assault bonus against all vehicles ...I forgot that on the earlier attempt, but didn’t write down the dice rolled...ooopers). Soviets roll and nullify two. Dang! Americans pull back in retreat back to the bridge (this is brutal!).

There’s only an End Turn Marker left in the cup so this ends Turn 2!

Marker Removal Phase: This is where Ops Complete Markers are removed — and it is also where Smoke Markers are adjusted...so the Smoke 1 marker comes off the board.

This is also where the eliminated HQ’s get put back on the board, so the Americans will place the Reduced HQ on the Abrams platoon in Hill hex U7.

The Depleted Ammo 2 is flipped to Depleted Ammo 1...

Turn 3, Formation Draw 1, Team Yankee

Team Yankee is first up for this turn, and with the lucky replacement of the HQ at the end of last turn to aid in combat!

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers (None onboard, starting Turn 3).

Command Check: All units in Command. To be honest, that was luck! ...I didn’t even think of that when I moved the Abrams there, much less place the HQ replacement on that unit. HQ placement and control is HUGE in this game; word of warning to myself and others!!!

Rally Phase: None Required.

Operations Phase:

Fire Abrams/HQ platoons on Hill hex U7 at the T-72/HQ platoons on Road hex Q6. For the Americans, there’s a -1drm Reduced Range Bonus on the To Hit and an extra die for the HQ; no Defensive Terrain modifiers for the Soviets. Four hits are made by the Americans. Soviets roll two saves (pretty damned good rolling on their part, needing 6’s!), but they are overwhelmed and Destroyed by that combat, being Disrupted going into it.

— OK, so two Assault runs failed so, lets try again! Infantry and M113
    Assault of the T-72 platoons in Eisenbach hex T5! There is no Defensive Terrain Bonus for the Soviets. Now not only did I get it wrong and correct the combat factors on the second try, I screwed that up too, because the defenders are in a city!!! ...so, the Infantry reduces it’s To Hit by one AND increases their assault factor by one, meaning an extra die not rolled last time. UGH! Infantry rolls and secures three hits; M113 misses. The Soviets roll both tank platoons and get one hit, nullifying a Soviet hit. Both Soviet T-72 platoons are Disrupted; but better yet for the Americans, since the Soviet defenders took more hits than the attackers, the Soviets retreat into Eisenbach hex S5 (luckily for the Soviets, they have to retreat into a hex directly away from the entry angle of the attacker, so they get to stay in a city hex, with better protection), while the Soviets stay and control City objective hex T4. Phew!

— American ITV is temporarily out of missiles.

SITREP:

NOTE: added in plastic markers (the cogs) to indicate secured Victory Hexes by the Soviets, just so I don’t forget!

This is an interesting development in the game thus far: The two Soviet T-72 tank platoons that moved into the woods T3 did so because they were going to fire across the river at the Americans, but now, they need to get into Eisenbach quickly, to block control of the full city (Part of the Soviet’s Victory Objective). And it was sheer luck that the retreat hex paced the retreating Soviets into that city hex!

Turn 3, Formation Draw 2, End Turn Marker; Draw 3, 1st Tank

Rally Phase: T-72 in Q5 rolls for Rally and passes (The HQ leadership minuses out saved the T-72’s bacon!); and two platoons in S5 roll and both miss.

Operations Phase:

— The Soviets have a go! ARTILLERY!!!! The HQ can’t see the Americans ITV, but it can see the Abrams and HQ platoons in hex U7, so one of my three remaining HE artillery barrages are called for the hex; two hits made. Soviets roll Defensive Terrain Bonus of one die for a miss. Abrams platoon is Disrupted and Reduced. HQ rolls a 1 and is Reduced! ..but was already reduce so, it’s eliminated once again

— HE Fire T-72 platoon Woods hex T3 (Reduced Range -1 To Hit drm) at Infantry in City hex T4; three hits! (Two dice were fours so, that reduced range drm was deadly!). Infantry is a soft target so, defensive terrain bonus of two yields missed. Infantry platoon KIA’s.

HE Fire T-72 platoon Woods hex T3 (Reduced Range -1 To Hit drm) at M113 in City hex T4; one hit. M113 rolls for a miss. M113 is Dissrupted.

I’m going to get crazy now, here!!!

— T-72/HQ in Road hex Q5 Assaults M113 in City hex T4! HQ gives two extra dice; and the M113 now being Disrupted and he To Hit is increased to 6. Everything misses (REALLY?!?) so the T-72/HQ retreats back to the road S4.

— Two T-72 platoons in M7 move to Hill hex

— T-72 platoon in hiss hex N8 moves to Bergengiphel hex N4 as a roar guard. I learned the hard way in a Lock ‘N Load Heroes of the Pacific battle not t leave the barn empty in he rear... leaving he back door open for your sneaky opponent to seize a Victory Hex to deny victory conditions was a sour end to a game for me!!!

SITREP:

To HE Fire Missions left for the Red Horde!

Turn 3, Formation Draw 4, Team Yankee

Command Check
    : All units Out of Command, because the HQ was eliminated once again this turn and it can’t be replaced unto the Marker Removal Phase a the the END of he turn!!! M113 rolls and is in Command; the Abrams is Out of Command.

Rally Phase
    : in M113 and Abrams (+1drm added to 2d6 roll for no HQ) rolls and fails.

Operations Phase
    :— The Team Yankee are all Disrupted ...end Formation Impulse.

Marker Removal Phase
    : This is where Ops Complete Markers are removed — and it is also where the Depleted Ammo 1 Marker comes off the board. Replaced Reduced team Yankee HQ on the Abrams platoon in hill hex U7.

SITREP:

BTW...these are the new GeekUp Cards & Bits Holders I picked up, which came in this week! They bake great demarcation tools to show battlefield edges...

...and they are perfect for keeping markers (which to this point, sat by the side of the board edge, in range of Catzilla! Also, I’m using the card slots for formation activated units and reminders of eligible units for activation (thought the Dragon was actually gone with the dead Infantry)....

On to Turn 4!!!

Are you playing solitaire? Is there a system for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Are you playing solitaire? Is there a system for it?
    Yes, and no

I’m playing it solitaire (which I do 98% of my games). The system does not hav a Solo Assistant component, or AI mechanic of any sort. Though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lock ‘N Load Publishing come out wit me for this in short order, as they have with their “Heroes” games....I think they figured it there’s good money to be had by developing and selling these....I did pick the one up for those.

For this World at War system, I am primarily playing it as. ‘What would that player do?’; what makes the most sense; what fits tactically with the spirit of the game; and lastly, random die rolls for artillery that misses the mark, a 1d6 determines the hex adjacency. On the latter... his earlier system calls for retreats from assaults being the one hex the attacker came from, or the one hex opposite that to which the assault ever entered the hex; but the new system allows one of three hexes (the one I just mentioned, or one on either side), which I would also use random die roll for.

All of this works well for me and I still get a lot of enjoyment from the play. Of course, a face-to-face opponent is always preferable.

Turn 4, Draw 1, Team Yankeee

Team Yankee is first up once again for this turn, and they needed that little edge!

Rally Phase: The Abrams platoon in U7 Rally’s on it’s own roll, not needing the HQ’s -1). M113 in Eisenbach Rally’s.

Operations Phase:

Fire ITV in hex V6 at Soviet T-72 platoon in Bergengiphel. I know...why? I am hoping for a quick kill (despite he high odds against) in order to have a fall-back to rob a win from the Soviets, if needed later. The only other thing the ITV could do s move....which being in the open, is probably he wiser move; but when am I now for making the wire move!!!

The ITV missiles roll for tow hits!!! The T-72 rolls 4-Save dice, including two more for City Defensive Bonus’s and 1 for Concealment in the wrecks (the Ciy would have given a concealment die, but there is a maximum of 2 in defensive bonuses; an being gotten for being amidst burning wrecks sounds more dramatic!!!).... no saves. T-72 is Disrupted and Reduced. Good result for the Americans!!!

I need to check to a rules question concerning Opportunity on an Assaulting unit.
    *** OK, the question was, if I assault with my M113 and fail, will it be subject to Op Fire by the Soviets should they wish. Answer is, No. So...

— M113 Assaults a Disrupted T-72 platoon in Eisenbach hex S5. I really have no better options because, if I move, I will be under Op Fire every new hex I enter for two hexes leaving Eisenbach to the south, which is just skiing for trouble I don’t need, so I might as well try and take out a presently lame-duck tank platoon! M113 gets a hit! Even though Disrupted, the T-72 platoon can Counterattack, but at a 6 To Hit...both roll; no saves! I Reduced on T-72! ...and it and it’s Comrade must Retreat away, into Open hex R5. Americans Control hex S5.

— The Disrupted and Reduced T-72 platoon is a juicy target for the Abrams platoon with HQ on Hill hex U7, however they are harassed by the T-72’s on Hill hex S7 so the Abrams will shoot there, firing at Reduced Range... 2 Hits; one of the T-72’s, no saves... one T-72 platoon is Disrupted and Reduced.

Ends the Team Yankee turn for this draw.

SITREP:

NOTE: I mistakenly placed a Victory Hex marker (the little yellow cogs) in. It’s hex acrosss the river...ooopers...that was lastly held by the Americans. The picture above corrected that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast