Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Looks like if you have amazon prime you can get a free 7 day trial of BritBox where it looks like they have the first series of Cadfael, 4 episodes. That should give you a taster of what it is like.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Looks like if you have amazon prime you can get a free 7 day trial of BritBox where it looks like they have the first series of Cadfael, 4 episodes. That should give you a taster of what it is like.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that a bit ago...there also seems too be some content on YouTUBE. Thanks for the tip!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Book 6

Pines (Wayward Pines #1)
    By Blake Crouch

From Goodreads:

Wayward Pines, Idaho, is quintessential small-town America--or so it seems. Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrives in search of two missing federal agents, yet soon is facing much more than he bargained for. After a violent accident lands him in the hospital, Ethan comes to with no ID and no cell phone. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but sometimes feels...off. As days pass, Ethan's investigation into his colleagues' disappearance turns up more questions than answers

WHY CAN'T HE MAKE CONTACT WITH HIS FAMILY IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD? WHY DOESN'T ANYONE BELIEVE HE IS WHO HE SAYS HE IS? AND WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE ELECTRIFIED FENCES ENCIRCLING THE TOWN? ARE THEY KEEPING THE RESIDENTS IN? OR SOMETHING ELSE OUT?

Each step toward the truth takes Ethan further from the world he knows, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.
    WOW! I haven’t read a book like this — one that keeps me on the edge of my seat and makes me stay up way too late reading — in a long time! It had me cringing in parts, breathless in others, and totally confused from mid-way though to the end. I didn’t see the end storyline (for book #1, anyway) coming at all, and even though it was totally the other direction I thought it was going, I really am excited to see the next book...in a three book series.

It’s a pretty cool feel, where the storyline had flavors of The Dome, Lost, X-Files, Millennium, and Twin Peaks — and in very fact, the last example played a critical role in the author’s life, so make sure to read the post-book treats.

I LOVED this read... I’m going to pick up the next book this week.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

OK...Holy Cow! I am nearing the mid-way point through book 2 in the Pines series, and I have to say... I haven’t enjoyed, and been so thoroughly engrossed like this, in a story, in a loooong time! Maybe the Divergent and Hunger Games seres’? Pines is awesome — taking turns I didn’t really expect or even think of, which is the pint, right!?! I still have no clear idea where this is going in the latter half of the current book — I have a general thought in my head, but I did in book 1 and it never materialized! As this is heading, I’ll finish this and start the next book on my weeks’ vacation next week!!!! ...great Summer reading!

Book 7

Wayward (Wayward Pines book #2)
    By Blake Crouch

From Goodreads:

Welcome to Wayward Pines, population 461. Nestled amidst picture-perfect mountains, the idyllic town is a modern-day Eden...except for the electrified fence and razor wire, snipers scoping everything 24/7, and the relentless surveillance tracking each word and gesture.

None of the residents know how they got here. They are told where to work, how to live, and who to marry. Some believe they are dead. Others think they’re trapped in an unfathomable experiment. Everyone secretly dreams of leaving, but those who dare face a terrifying surprise.

Ethan Burke has seen the world beyond. He’s sheriff, and one of the few who knows the truth—Wayward Pines isn’t just a town. And what lies on the other side of the fence is a nightmare beyond anyone’s imagining.

Book two was just as good as the first, and carried the story deeper into this mysterious little town. The town isn’t a mystery to the reader by this point! ...we know exactly what is going on and what is happening, but that all changes in the last couple chapters! Just when you thought you were seeing how this was going to move forward, BOOM.

Still saying what I said with the first book....best series I’ve read in a long time, and the only bummer about it all is knowing there are only three books to the series and I just downloaded the 3rd. This is going to be a barn burner right up to the end.

There is a major plot twist I didn’t see coming towards the end of book 2, it it has me mightily confused!

This is one of those strange instances where I feel satisfied enough at the end of the 2nd or 3, where if #3 sucks, it won’t be thee end of the world, because I have seen stories end where this one left off, so everything is bonus material for me from this point on.

As an aside: This series of books Came along at the perfect moment, where I am on vacation as I write this, and will be doing some awesome Summer reading over the week. What a great feeling!!!!

Book 8

The Last Town (Wayward Pines book #3)
    By Blake Crouch

From Goodreads:

Welcome to Wayward Pines, the last town.

Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrived in Wayward Pines, Idaho, three weeks ago. In this town, people are told who to marry, where to live, where to work. Their children are taught that David Pilcher, the town’s creator, is god. No one is allowed to leave; even asking questions can get you killed.

But Ethan has discovered the astonishing secret of what lies beyond the electrified fence that surrounds Wayward Pines and protects it from the terrifying world beyond. It is a secret that has the entire population completely under the control of a madman and his army of followers, a secret that is about to come storming through the fence to wipe out this last, fragile remnant of humanity.
    What a ride!

...yeah, not quite! An idyllic 1950’s-ish paradise is actually little more than a prison, with prisoners that don’t know they’re prisoners. Ethan makes a choice that topples everything like dominoes — for the good? ...for thee bad? SPOILER AHEAD.....

Well, if you want a definitive answer, you won’t get it. I was wondering how this story was going to end, and the thing is, it doesn’t. It’s yet another example of letting your imagination fill in the future, from the books’ end... but the good news might be in it’s certainly leaving room open to a fourth book and more, if thee author ever decides on such. I’d like to see where it goes!

I was happy enough with the ending...it would definitely have taken a fourth book to formally END the story, but let’s just say there was a good conclusion. Thinking on it a few minutes after the last work of the last town, it’s the way I would have ended the story.

Great series... it does one of thee best things I like about really good books: I’m sad the story is over, because I want more!!!

Highly Recommend!

I’m really enjoying the book I am currently on.... it’s about a 14 year old in 1969, and the turbulent times he’s struggling through. Oddly, I relate to a lot of what he’s going through and can almost see myself in many of the plot lines. Oddly too, it was written by a woman, and she has a surprising Adeptness at teenage male angst!

The character would have been 5 years older than me, but still, I see commonalities: From hanging with a best friend regarded as not among the *cool kids*, the Vietnam War happening around him and the effect on family, and that family’s own disfunction's.... and right down to being a nice kid, but kinda an outcast among the cool set, and just making die on his own.

It’s funny but, I stormed through (for me, anyway) though the last three books so fast that I needed a book to fill in the weeks before my next available Kindle Library monthly takeout, and this’s one had a main storyline of two dogs... that’s why I grabbed it (a Prime Member free read), little realizing the storyline would be this riveting. I would say I am reading more, at a time, with this book than I have in a very long time....a proverbial, *can’t put it down* book! Just past the halfway point already!!! I might have to end up plunking some cash down to own this one!

Book 9

Stay
    By Catherine Ryan Hyde

From Goodreads...

An unforgettable novel about the power of friendship and kindness by the New York Times bestselling author of Pay It Forward.

In the summer of 1969, fourteen-year-old Lucas Painter carries a huge weight on his shoulders. His brother is fighting in Vietnam. His embattled parents are locked in a never-ending war. And his best friend, Connor, is struggling with his own family issues. To find relief from the chaos, Lucas takes long, meandering walks, and one day he veers into the woods.

There he discovers an isolated cabin and two huge dogs. Frightened, he runs. And the dogs run with him. Lucas finds unusual peace in running with the dogs, and eventually he meets their owner, Zoe Dinsmore. Closed off and haunted by a tragic past, Zoe has given up. She doesn’t want to be saved. She wants out. But Lucas doesn’t want her to go, and he sees an opportunity to bring more than one friend back into the light. It’s either the best or worst idea he’s ever had, but Lucas isn’t giving up on Zoe or Connor.

Their unexpected connection might be the saving grace that Zoe thought she’d lost, that Connor needs, and that Lucas has been running toward.
    Super nice read! The author’s writing style is easy and flows seamlessly throughout a story that captures the heart. I found myself experiencing the most intense, small smiles....I don’t know how else to say it; that kind of smile that flows straight out of your heart. So many inspiring messages; so much raw emotion. Feel good and sometimes disturbing. The ending was somewhat more sad than I anticipated, but it follows the realities of life in all it’s wonderment and harshness.

Recommended reading!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12