Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Book 12

Sea of Rust
    By C. Robert Cargill

From GoodReads:

“One robot's search for meaning in a world where every human is long gone.

A touching story of a search ...one robot's search, for the answers in a world where every human is dead.

It is thirty years since the humans lost their war with the artificial intelligences that were once their slaves. Not one human remains. But as the dust settled from our extinction there was no easy peace between the robots that survived. Instead, the two massively powerful artificially intelligent supercomputers that led them to victory now vie for control of the bots that remain, assimilating them into enormous networks called One World Intelligences (OWIs), absorbing their memories and turning them into mere extensions of the whole. Now the remaining freebots wander wastelands that were once warzones, picking the carcasses of the lost for the precious dwindling supply of parts they need to survive.

BRITTLE started out his life playing nurse to a dying man, purchased in truth instead to look after the man's widow upon his death. But then war came and Brittle was forced to choose between the woman he swore to protect and potential oblivion at the hands of rising anti-AI sentiment. Thirty years later, his choice still haunts him. Now he spends his days in the harshest of the wastelands, known as the Sea of Rust, cannibalizing the walking dead - robots only hours away from total shutdown - looking for parts to trade for those he needs to keep going.”

Man, what a cool story! I remember in high school, I had a literature class solely devoted to science fiction, which really cemented my love of the genre; and in that class, there was a similar story, from a robot’s perspective, which I thought quite something. Years later, I’d run across a lot of last man/men on Earth stories that really impacted me. I just find them fascinating.

...this novel really played into that memory, and preference in style... and better yet, it was a stunning premise, of humans totally eradicated and only robots left behind...and falling into the same traps we humans do!

Excellent read!!!

BTW: I reached my goal of 12 books, and it’s still Summer! YAY!!!
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Book 13

We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
    By Dennis E. Taylor

From GoodReads:

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad.

So, I fell into the ‘Bobiverse’, as is quoted near the end, and picked up as the moniker by raving fans! ...and I’m good with that! I thought the premise was pretty spiffy, and boy was that thought underestimating the novel, and series to come into my greedy little fingers next!

There is HUGE Geek-factor here in this story, and thought it can get a tad overdone at times, it holds the storyline together nicely, and as campy as it can get, I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same as Bob! It reminds me a lot, of the sci-fi books I read in the 70’s, but is distinctly modern in writing and theory. Put another way: It’s fun as Hell!

A cool interview...

Book 2 up next, “For We Are Many”. Book 3 is, “All These Worlds”, and Book 4, “Heaven’s River”.

Super Moderator
    That really sounds a good fun read.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    That really sounds a good fun read.
    I've been surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed it, mainly because I knew I was getting into yet another series of novels, and what initially looked like a lot of plot — which it is, but manageable....it bounces timeframes a lot, which I was worried, would be difficult to track but it wasn’t, beciae it was linear, but light years apart between characters, hence the time differences. See...easy!

...seriously, a great read! I’m just done book two and started three.

Book 14

For We Are Many (Bobiverse #2)
    By Dennis E. Taylor

From Goodreads:

Bob Johansson didn’t believe in an afterlife, so waking up after being killed in a car accident was a shock. To add to the surprise, he is now a sentient computer and the controlling intelligence for a Von Neumann probe.

Bob and his copies have been spreading out from Earth for forty years now, looking for habitable planets. But that’s the only part of the plan that’s still in one piece. A system-wide war has killed off 99.9% of the human race; nuclear winter is slowly making the Earth uninhabitable; a radical group wants to finish the job on the remnants of humanity; the Brazilian space probes are still out there, still trying to blow up the competition; And the Bobs have discovered a spacefaring species that considers all other life as food.

Bob left Earth anticipating a life of exploration and blissful solitude. Instead he’s a sky god to a primitive native species, the only hope for getting humanity to a new home, and possibly the only thing that can prevent every species in the local sphere ending up as dinner.

The writeup actually doesn’t do the story justice, but I get they’re not trying to give out too many spoilers...I won’t either, but the story is WAY deeper than that, and expansive! There’s a lot going on in this story, which is interesting when you consider most of the main characters are clones of a computer system! But it touches on so many cool factors, it can be dizzying to a mild degree, but manageable. Some of the more interesting topics are, can a computer clone fall in love with a sentient? What are you going to do with a race of something akin to robots that kick your ass at every turn and seem invincible? ....and oh yeah, destroying the galaxy! Replicating clones of one being and how different each is. Colonization and wastelands. And well, humans behaving badly.

The only drawback I’ve seen is, it can get a little cheesy here and there, but that’s just the authors slant I believe. I’m curious to see how the third book wraps up the storyline. Oddly, I saw tonight there is a book 4, in audio only... I wonder if the series is continuing, or if this is just a sequel to the original story,

Book 15

All These Worlds (Bobiverse #3)
    By Dennis E. Taylor

From Goodreads...

Being a sentient spaceship really should be more fun. But after spreading out through space for almost a century, Bob and his clones just can't stay out of trouble.

They've created enough colonies so humanity shouldn't go extinct. But political squabbles have a bad habit of dying hard, and the Brazilian probes are still trying to take out the competition. And the Bobs have picked a fight with an older, more powerful species [the Others] with a large appetite and a short temper.

Still stinging from getting their collective butts kicked in their first encounter with the Others, the Bobs now face the prospect of a decisive final battle to defend Earth and its colonies. But the Bobs are less disciplined than a herd of cats, and some of the younger copies are more concerned with their own local problems than defeating the Others.

Yet salvation may come from an unlikely source. A couple of eighth-generation Bobs have found something out in deep space. All it will take to save the Earth and perhaps all of humanity is for them to get it to Sol — unless the Others arrive first.
    So, a decent synopsis, but as is typical, Goodreads doesn’t want to give much away, especially in spoilers. I’ll try not to either! The third book is actually WAY deeper than that. The human equation, within and outside of the Bobiverse is really drilled down into here, and delightfully so...some real interesting questions raised as to sentient vs machine ‘lives’, immortality, the fragile nature of loved ones dying and the effect on an immortal are just some of the topics touched.

Solutions to some of the weighty obstacles the Bobs face are in some cases, predictable (in a good way) and surprising. Ever wonder what Earth would look like if they got their asses thoroughly kicked? This gives a great insight in that.

By book 3, I was ready for the adventure to end, which seems to be the case... you get a good sense that this is a trio logo, though there are a book 4 and 5 in audible (and very expensive!), with no really indication that this is a continuance of the trilogy, or separated storylines. The other reason I was ready for it to end was, the sophomoric humor really got super old, and it started to spoil the dish. I get that the original Bob was a super tech geekazoid, with immature sensibilities, but I think the author went way overboard (how many times can you use the term, Nyuk Nyuk?).

But even with some of the shortfalls, it was a super story arc in a space opera!

This makes a couple books past my original goal of 12 book! Very excited

I find with a lot of books or series, that I very much enjoy them but there comes a time for them to end. With some series I get the feeling the author is just paying the mortgage after book 3.
    I watched an interview with R.A. Salvatore the other day. He said that publishers generally aren't interested in single books. It is a big investment of time and finances for them to take on an author so they want a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I find with a lot of books or series, that I very much enjoy them but there comes a time for them to end. With some series I get the feeling the author is just paying the mortgage after book 3.
    I watched an interview with R.A. Salvatore the other day. He said that publishers generally aren't interested in single books. It is a big investment of time and finances for them to take on an author so they want a series.
    That all strikes a chord with me, too! More often than not, I’ve bailed on a series midway through the dozen+ books, simply because it started to drag on me. I like your choice of words... feeling the ‘time for them to end’, and feeling like the author is just paying the mortgage after a few...it’s too much. Unfortunately, a lot of marketing strategies and sales ploys of today are stinky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123