Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duncan's 2020 Game Log

The first turn of GDW's Bloody Kasserine.
    AHIKS match. The artillery position has been taken. It was defended by the 701 AT support and the 1-1A/III Armoured Battalion. Captured by a combined attack from the 10th SS and the 21st SS. The infantry unit in the back was also eliminated and the US infantry in front, by the bridge, is in contact. Now to check my email for the response.

Name:  Bloody Kasserine 001.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  86.7 KB

Nice game...map reminds me of the old Avalon Hill days’ Panzer Blitz! ...but nicer. The whiskey looks yummy, too!
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

AH days indeed. It's printed in 1992.

Campaign Overland by JTS
    Turn 6 of 1390. Yeah, it's a retirement project.
    It looks like this will be the Blue Bellies first attempt at crossing the Rapidan River. I have a couple long range guns, not in this picture, keeping them honest.

I was hesitant to get into JTS games. I thought the graphics sucked, they do in 3D mode, they focused on only one battle each for 39USD, and I thought they might be a re-hash of the old Battleground series. I now own 13 JTS games. Each game is one battle but lots of scenarios to look at different areas of it. I prefer the symbolic counters over 3D anyhow. And there is a big following. No shortage of PBEM opponents. You could say I'm a convert.

Name:  Overland001.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  98.0 KB

Meanwhile far North of the Rapidan and my own columns, my cavalry company has spotted the front of what I suspect is a very long column. Time to fade back into the woods.

Name:  Overland002.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  67.1 KB

Attachment 2693
    Last edited by Duncan; 01-08-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Campaign Overland by JTS
    Turn 6 of 1390. Yeah, it's a retirement project.
    It looks like this will be the Blue Bellies first attempt at crossing the Rapidan River. I have a couple long range guns, not in this picture, keeping them honest.

I was hesitant to get into JTS games. I thought the graphics sucked, they do in 3D mode, they focused on only one battle each for 39USD, and I thought they might be a re-hash of the old Battleground series. I now own 13 JTS games. Each game is one battle but lots of scenarios to look at different areas of it. I prefer the symbolic counters over 3D anyhow. And there is a big following. No shortage of PBEM opponents. You could say I'm a convert.

Name:  Overland001.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  98.0 KB
    Cool game!

I see what you’re getting at with the looks, and I think I’d have had the same reaction. The map actually doesn’t look too bad — of course I say that with the knowledge of how difficult it is to render; the rivers for instance, which unless you render EVERY hex separately, you have an almost ‘stock’ look, which it is. Still, I think it’s more than decent, but far from spectacular.

The counters on the other hand: Yeah, I would prefer the counters over 3D representations, partially because I have a fondness for ‘counters’, but more so because unless you render REALLY good looking 3D art, it’s going to look like Mario Cart in Stalingrad (...yeah, I know, wrong era, but it sounded cooler that way!).

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Meanwhile far North of the Rapidan and my own columns, my cavalry company has spotted the front of what I suspect is a very long column. Time to fade back into the woods.

Attachment 2693
    A question that’s been slowly burning a hole in my brain: This’s actually should be a thread on its own, and maybe a good one for the Lecture Hall area, but I’ve always wondered how much you need to switch perspective (strategically and tactically) between different era warfare?

The question first surfaced in my mind many years back when MAGNA (I hope he and Nick are doing OK in Oz) featured some Napoleonic games; and it pops up when I see ACW, WWI, or even Ancients. I have mostly played WWII. I play more Modern these ads (Thanks, Scott! ...and now, madman!). You deploy your forces in a certain manner, and fight is a specific way. It’s quite different than lining up ACW troops in line formation and throwing volley’s afar, with he support of a line of cannon fire. How different does your mind need to think?
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

I am only just getting the hang of the JTS games. I should read the manuals. So, I can't comment on tactics. In Campaign Overland the troop columns are quite spread out and moving through mountains and woods. In my Gettysburg game I have had to back up a bit because the Reb guns in Gettysburg are slowly winning the duel.

Bloody Kasserine by GDW
    Turn two begins. The Americans and French form a weak line after blowing a bridge over Wadi Hathob. Two more turns until USA and British reinforcements show up at Le Kef. My DAK is entering from East of Gafsa this turn and the Italians have been released.

Name:  Bloody Kasserine 002.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  94.1 KB
    Last edited by Duncan; 01-09-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Another JTS game. North German Plain '85.
    My Polish Airborne have dropped on the far side of the Weser River during the night, hoping to secure a crossing. They dropped right next to the British guarding the town and crossing though. Now dawn is here and they need support from Rethen and Schwarmstedt. I've let most of my troops rest the night for a hard day of fighting.

Name:  North German Plain 001.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  101.6 KB

A little further into the turn and I am getting closer to the crossing. The bridges here seem intact, unlike a lot of other places.

Name:  North German Plain 002.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  103.6 KB
    Last edited by Duncan; 01-09-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Axis turn 2 of Bloody Kasserine. An overall shot and then the battles.

Italians are released and DAK enters from the South-East. Notice the favourable terrain and interior lines for the Allies.
    Name:  Bloody Kasserine 002.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  101.3 KB

10th SS and 21st SS try to force a bridge crossing against US armour.
    Name:  Kasserine003.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  91.4 KB

Italians and DAK attack US infantry.
    Name:  Kasserine003.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  81.3 KB
    Last edited by Duncan; 01-13-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Back to JTS Campaign Overland. My long range artillery is having good affect at the ford. The yellow bordered units are disrupted. The big red 'R' is routed. It's unlikely to stop a crossing but not bad for three guns at range. The US isn't making much of any effort to cross and I see long columns elsewhere. I imagine this is a feint. But it isn't costing me much by way of troop force. I'm holding up more of his troops than he is of mine.

Name:  Overland003.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  66.4 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast