Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whiterook’s Game Log 2020

I started off the year playing Lock ‘N Load Publishing’s, original World at War: Eisenbach Gap (EBG). A fantastic Modern War system with plays a ‘What-if’ world of the Soviet Union invading West Germany. In this case, they’ve hammered into the Eisenbach Gap.

The map artwork is horrible, but the counters are very nice indeed. The mechanics for the system are wonderful, and not too complicated. EBG Deluxe combines both the original Eisenbach Gap game, but also, the Death of the 1st Panzer expansion — these both being the start of the system. The cool thing about this particular interation is, it’s basically a Starter Kit into the system. Future modules increased the hardware, and the complexity.

This is a picture at the end of Turn 1 of my intorductory-scenario. See the play-by-play here.

Started like this, Soviets coming in on the left (west) side of the map; Americans in the center (Bergengiphel) and right side (east, in Eisenbach(....

This is what it looks like at the end of Turn 1....

The Soviet’s laid down a smoke screen and advanced quickly in a surprise attack activation and then through Turn 1; the Americans holding ground in Bergengiphel and Eisenbach, and withdrawing a Disrupted Abrams platoon to the rear.

Great action in this game!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Halfway Through This Scenario

This is proving to be an extremely fun and versatile system...World at War, by Lock ‘N Load Publishing...where the action is taut, and a bit frantic. I mean, this feels like a real slug-fest at times! I can really feel the superiority of the American Abrams MBT, but the numbers of Soviet T-72 tanks is an interesting balance; kinda like in my WWII gaming of superior German armor, to the sheer number in Allied armor.

In this scenario, the smoke screen at game start was a difference maker for the Soviets’ being able to traverse the battlefield en masse and start overwhelming the American forces and taking siege of parts of Eisenbach.

It’s a tough scenario from the Americans perspective in that, you need to play more of a Defensive strategy; I kinda wondered if I should be super aggressive up front at game start, but I think the Soviet armor would have rolled right past me to to Eisenbach.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

My Gamer’s Blog will likely be a bit bland, compared to others... I’ve adopted a modus operandi of sticking with one (maybe two) primary systems, so I am still playing World at War.

There are a couple reasons for this: I just don’t have the time and energy to invest in learning (and re-learning) rules for multiple games. Work has had a lot to do with that, and stress from several avenues. My mind is just so damned overloaded, multi-tasked, and tired. As much as I hate to admit it, it’s just easier to stick with a limited run of systems.

I’ve never been the type gamer that can wing-it. I need to know the rules pretty pat. I’s a personal quirk. I have a friend that has the attitude, “If you know th basics, you can apply it to any game and figure it out as you go”... ah, NO. Even the games I have played with him can be annoying, because it comes down to, ‘Oh shit.... I didn’t know it could do that. Oh well.’ ....ah, NO.

Sunday’s little project...counter clipping! A Little at a time does it! 2.5 radius rounder punch...

I’m not sure of the timeline but when I got Eisenbach Gap deluxe, of who’s counters I was clipping seen above, I’d gotten my name on the box as a Limited Edition Supporter, haha!

Pretty much all of my gaming time efforts has been on Lock ‘N Load Publishing’s, World at War.

I need to get back into this series. I loved playing Blood and Bridges in the coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I need to get back into this series. I loved playing Blood and Bridges in the coffee shop.
    Maybe I can set up a forum game here for the two of us.

Night Fighter Ace

Planned game to put on the kitchen table this weekend... a Compass Games goodie I bought at their convention last year but have not played yet. I watched it being played at the convention and hence, was one of the first games I bought. I was super intrigued with the premise alone, but the game play proved spectacular looking.

Attached Images Attached Images  

On the table this weekend... COMBAT!, by Compass Games!

I picked this bad boy up at half cost (MSRP $139.00) at the Compass Games Expo last November, and had played a demo game and loved it! A modernization of the old Victory Games’, Ambush system/series, this really ramps up the action! I really don’t remember the play, so I’ll start the rules this morning and see where I get!

Dang. I have to look for it now. I just pulled out Ambush! and set up a frame for it on my desk.

I did it. Ooooh my poor credit card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast