Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

#10 - Into the Breach

Name:  6D45BC6F-45E8-472E-BA44-DAC6ED215C12.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  20.1 KB

Released 2012
    EXPANSION

DESCRIPTION:
    The World at War series seems to have everything! There are Cubans with SU-100s, South Africans with Oliphants, French AMX B-2s, T-80s with different armor factors, and a designer who seemingly ignores logic, but there is one thing that World at War was missing up to this point — that one thing is LOTS of American tanks!

Into the Breach cures that!!!

This expansion to The Untold Stories explores the Yank’s battle on the front line in the first days of the war. Now you get to fight with lots of Abrams, Bradleys, infantry, and even Sheridans. On the flip side of the tank, you’ll fight a mass of Soviets and Polish armor.

It’s great big fun, with some great big scenarios. There are 12 of them to be exact (and you callus also order an upgraded version with an additional eight scenario campaign), including an East German counterattack, West Germans on defense, and Amercans defending in depth, screening main forces, attacking, and counterattacking.
    In other words, this expansion adds a lot of new scenarios while adding a lot of American and Soviet units.

NOTE: For 12 scenarios, TUS will be needed for rules and information counters as well as maps and counters in most scenarios. Information for bonus scenarios will be added when released.

SCENARIOS:
    — Out of the Static: TUS, ItB
    — US Steel: ItB, TUS
    — The Flood: TUS, ItB
    — A Simple Task: TUS, ItB
    — From both ends of the Candle: TUS, ItB
    — With our backs against the wall: TUS, ItB
    — Pushing Off Balance: TUS, ItB
    — Vampires in the Night: ItB
    — Against a Steamroller: TUS, ItB
    — Momentum: TUS, ItB
    — Into the Breach: TUS, ItB
    — To Fight another Day: ItB, TUS

(I don;t have a list for the additional 8 post order selection)

EXPANDS BACK TO:
    — World at War: he Untold Stories (2010)

APPLICABLE EXPANSIONS AFTER THIS GAME
    ​— World at War: Conterattack (2012)
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

#11 - America Conquered

Name:  F4828766-80D8-4EAC-AAE1-522764557254.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  13.8 KB

Released 2013
    Expansion

DESCRIPTION:
    The nukes have flown, and darkness has spread across the globe. Yet the missiles didn’t bring the apocalypse many had predicted. Rather than total, the exchange of nuclear-tipped missiles was limited. Rather than complete, the destruction was merely crippling. Now the war continues, fought with a strange mixture of equipment—some of it more suited to a museum, some of it fresh off the assembly line.

And the war continues on America’s own soil!

Devastated by the nuclear exchange, the remnants of America’s once mighty military, aided by a smattering of their NATO allies, fight against a horde of ravenous predators including Cuba, Nicaragua, and their Central/Southern American allies, hoping against hope to hold their country until the last vestiges of their mighty European army returns home.

Command formations of Nicaraguan T-72s against American M-48s, fight Cuban T-62s with Canadian Centurions, and battle against Soviet Spetsnaz with the indomitable French Foreign Legion. America Conquered introduces airboats that fly over river and swamp alike, Texan cavalry that ride disrupted infantry into the ground, mixed-equipment platoons that allow gamers to split their units to take advantage of their unique equipment, and American fanatics that will kill themselves rather than lose their country. New terrain includes swamps, sparse/destroyed city, and much more.

SCENARIOS:
    — An Unplesant Surprise
    — Running
    — On the Road
    — Raid
    — By the Skin of their Teeth
    — Evil unveiled
    — Friends in Need
    — An Unpleasant urprise: part two
    — Probe
    — Contact
    — If You Want Something Done
    — Counterattack
    — Last Gasp

The Texan War of Independence:

— Old Friends
    — Defense in Depth
    — A New Enemy
    — Together Again

#12 - Counterattack

Name:  BDC20E1D-59AC-42EA-80D7-81C0B59A88A5.jpg
Size:  14.0 KB

Released 2012
    Scenario Expansion

DESCRIPTION:
    World at War: Counterattack - A scenario expansion pack for Blood and Bridges and Into the Breach.

Counterattack recreates the American and West German counterattack into the southern flank of the Soviet thrust into West Germany. The battles occurred just after the events chronicled in Blood and Bridges, and prior to the final battles for Paris.

Nine scenarios comprise the module. Four are stand alone, another three make up one campaign, and four more build the second campaign (two of the campaign scenarios can also be played as stand-alone battles). See below for additional details on the scenarios.

The module uses a similar campaign system as the one that was employed in Battles within Battles. Winning scenarios awards the player with refit points, these points can be used to repair damaged units, buy new units, or buy unique skills for your units and leaders The system rewards the gamer who conserves his forces. Win the scenario, but decimate your forces, and you’ll lose the war…. Or at least this small piece of it.

The Campaigns and Scenarios

Counterattack's two campaigns are comprised of several scenarios with a running storyline. The campaign focuses on two groups of Americans--Task Force Eagle, led by Captain Matt Steckler, and Slaughter's Slammers (A-1/8 Infantry and Echo Company) led by Major Jack Slaughter. The campaign battles are fought in a variety of locales. Two are set on a new, and included, 8.5” x 11” map, and the rest occur on various locations on the Blood and Bridges map. They are persistent campaigns meaning that the losses you suffer must be either made good with replacements and refit, or lost forever. Depending on how you do in each scenario, you are rewarded refit points. These points can be used to refit reduced platoons, buy additional forces and weapons such as Abrams, Bradley's, and Dragons.

Additionally, refit points can be used to buy skills, such as Augmented Firepower, Split Fire, Aid Station and Moral Boost, and others. These skills enhance a platoon’s capabilities. For example, the Split Fire skill allows Klaiber’s M-1 platoon to split its fire between two targets. The portable Aid Station allows an infantry platoon to ignore the first hit against it each turn. Augmented Firepower enables the owner to re-roll one of its attack die. There are six skills in all, and only the best commanders will accumulate the refit points needed to buy them. And only with grit and determination can the Americans complete their missions.

Dial 411 for Information: A small but powerful American task force most locate and rescue a group of valuable prisoners.

One Thing at a Time: A troop of Sheridan's with heavy artillery support ambushes a column of Russian armor. Everything is going great until more Russians arrive on the scene.

Just Passing Through (Slammers #1): Americans must make a breach in the Soviet lines west of the Rhine, which West German Panzers and Panzergrenadiers will exploit. Unique victory objectives for each force. Great three-player scenario.

Little Red Riding Hood (Steckler #1): The prisoners rescued in Dial 411 tell an improbably tale of packs of wolves and renegade Soviet infantrymen. Steckler and Task Force Eagle are ordered to a remote location (new map) to discover the truth.

Crossroads (Slammers #2): Major Jack Slaughter and his Slammers are tasked with relieving an American air assault force holding a key crossroads in the flank of the Soviet salient.

The Kitchen Sink (Steckler #2): Task Force Eagle found the farmhouse described by the prisoners, but now they must hold it against random attacks from all sides. It’s a seemingly hopeless task, but a company of Panzergrenadiers arrives in a nick of time. Can be played three-player or with the game partially controlling the Germans.

Hard Rain (Slammers #3): With success after success the American counterattack continues to roll up the Soviet flank. The Americans are poised for a final attack on Faulbach when a freakish storm strikes, limiting visibility, and degrading electronics… and then the Soviets attack.

Rest and Recovery (Steckler #3): Battered and bruised, Steckler’s men look forward to some rest in Dattenburg, but then Soviet parachutes dot the sky, and Steckler realizes the war has found them again. Soviets execute an parachute drop, with a platoon of ASU-85 no less.

Run For Your Lives (Slammers #4): Surrounded by the Soviet counter-counterattack, Slaughter’s Slammers must weave their way through a myriad of Soviet forces, fighting when they must, dodging when they can, darkness their only friend.

EXPANDS BACK TO:

— World at War: Eisenbach Gap (2007)
    — World at War: Blood & Bridges (2008)
    — World at War: Into the Breach (2012)

#13 - Eisenbach Gap Deluxe

Name:  921D1431-F78A-4527-8B02-B295AB7C304F.jpg
Size:  19.8 KB

Released 2013
    Stand Alone - retool of Eisenbach Gap and Death of the First Panzer

DESCRIPTION:
    World at War is a platoon-level wargame set in the 1985 time frame simulating World War Three. Eisenbach Gap Deluxe (EGD) contains a complete set of rules, 176 counters, one 17” x 22” map, one 11” x 17” map, and twelve scenarios depicting the Soviet’s thrust into West Germany. EGD is a compilation and improvement on the original World at War: Eisenbach Gap and its expansion, World at War: Death of the First Panzer.

According to Mark H. Walker, he retained the original core rules of the original game, only changing them to enhance clarity.

Death of the 1st Panzer includes six more scenarios pitting the West German forces against the Soviet horde with a mix of Leopard 1 & Leopard 2 tanks, Marders, Luchs, Jaguars, Gepards, Rolands, and other support weapons. Meanwhile the Soviets introduce the ASU-85s and T-12 ATGs.

#14 -Compendium 2

Name:  EB848CE6-8396-417F-9BB4-0570DACDD306.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  20.6 KB

This compilation of all the World at War material included in Lock ‘n Load Publishing’s “Line of Fire” magazine issues 8-14. It comes in a ziplock bag and includes the book itself, a 108-counter countersheet, and an 11” X 17” map.

As far as content is concerned, Comp2 includes a nice refresh of the World at War alternative timeline, a single variant rule (intended to nerf the HQ units that some perceive to be overpowered), as well as a couple of after action reports based on scenarios from different releases in the series. More than anything else, however, it includes scenarios, either 30 or 36 of them depending on whether or not you count the variants for six scenarios included with the original Eisenbach Gap.. This is the kind of thing that would, under normal circumstances, make a World at War fan very happy indeed. These are, however, not normal circumstances. If I may explain…
    You’d never be able to tell it from my office, but, when it comes to my wargames, I’ve got a strong streak of OCD. If Clash of Arms ever released a special 200th Anniversary D’Erlon counter for La Bataille de Mont St. Jean, I would, under no circumstances, play the fool thing unless that counter was in place. For this reason more than any other Comp2 gives me absolute fits. Please check out this table listing the first 19 scenarios included in Comp2, as well as the units and maps needed to play each of them:

Scenario Units Needed from: Map Needed From:
    First Blood The Untold Stories (TUS) Eisenbach Gap Deluxe (EGD)
    Erste Bewegung EGD EGD
    First Catch Blood and Bridges (BB), TUS EGD
    First Fight BB EGD
    First Moves ‘82 EGD Line of Fire #2 or Compendium #1 (Comp1)
    First Encounter BB EGD
    Lancers to the Front BB Battles within Battles (BwB)
    Brothers in Arms TUS, BB, EGD TUS
    Tank Battle – FIrst Encounter EGD, TUS, BB EGD
    Nymaeshamn Operation Garbo (OG), BB, TUS OG
    Tanks of War EGD, Comp2 BB
    The Other Guys EGD, Comp2 BB
    The Mainz Event EGD, BB, TUS, Paris is Burning (PIB), Into the Breach, Comp1 TUS, PIB
    The Sting EGD, BB BB
    Solidarnosc and the Fifth Partition EGD, TUS TUS
    Spring Cleaning EGD, BB BB
    Tanks, Mr. Rico! Zillions of ‘Em! EGD, BB, ITB, Comp1, Comp2 BB
    New Moon On Monday EGD, BB, ITB, Comp1, Comp2 BB
    Hill 252 EGD, TUS, ITB PIB

Note that I used Eisenbach Gap Deluxe above rather than the first edition of Eisenbach Gap and the expansion Death of the 1st Panzer; some of the scenarios require bits from the former, some from the latter, and some both, but my impression looking on line is that most have upgraded to deluxe leaving the first edition available at a discount. As you can see, to get your money’s worth out of Comp2, you’ll have to make a fairly substantial investment in the W@W series. What really stands out in the above, though; is the frequent appearance of The Untold Stories — a game that has gone out of print and can prove very difficult to find on the secondary market. I get the notion that mega scenarios — “Tanks, Mr. Rico! Zillions of ‘Em!” is certainly one — require lots of parts. I also very much appreciated one of the designer’s remarks that creating scenarios for boardgames is not unlike the circumstances confronted by the crew of Apollo 13, where there are only so many pieces in the capsule, but making the tweaked versions of the original Eisenbach Gap scenarios depend on three other games is a strange choice.

None of the potentially very cool Sino-Vietnamese scenarios are playable without The Untold Stories either — a bit of a personal disappointment as I find this a fascinating possibility…and the pieces look really cool.

#15 The Texan War of Independence

Name:  291857F5-3AE4-4C28-95D1-91ACF54D785E.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  11.3 KB

Released: 2015
    Zippie

DESCRIPTION

In late July of 1985, two months before the dramatic events depicted in America Conquered, a brief but bloody and consequential war was fought: The Texan War of Independence. It marked the first time in 120 years, since the Civil War, that Americans took up arms against each other.

The circumstances were desperate. The United States had been struck by nuclear weapons. Many cities—Washington, D.C., New York, Los Angeles and others—had been annihilated, but none in Texas. Texas stood strong. Initially, Governor White of Texas sent convoys of relief supplies to the imperiled areas of the country, but soon learned that the convoys had been intercepted by a skilled and tactful, but unknown, enemy. President Saunders, upset that Texas would withhold aid to the rest of the country, sent military forces to Texas to intimidate its single-minded Governor in to resuming the flow of aid. Governor White responded by sending the Texas National Guard to the border, to meet and stop them.

As these unnatural enemies fought against one another, like brother against brother, a new threat loomed. Both Texas and the United States itself needed to confront the post-nuclear world. They could do it independently or together.

The Texan War of Independence contains four gripping scenarios. Forty new counters bring four formations of Texans to the front lines. The fearless Texans ride toward all enemies in Abrams and M60-A3 tanks, and their well-armed infantry are highly mobile, with plenty of M-113s and Dragon support weapons at hand. Texas had once been its own republic. In the Texan War of Independence you’ll find out if it happens again.

Dang, I didn't know about that one! Sounds right up my alley.

Can you imagine if you were playing and posting your scenarios using that system, and I was setting up infantry skirmishes based on what happened in your scenarios, using miniatures? We could tell a complete story with characters, from the macro to the micro level. That could make an interesting blog, or an interesting sub-section of our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Dang, I didn't know about that one! Sounds right up my alley.

Can you imagine if you were playing and posting your scenarios using that system, and I was setting up infantry skirmishes based on what happened in your scenarios, using miniatures? We could tell a complete story with characters, from the macro to the micro level. That could make an interesting blog, or an interesting sub-section of our forum.
    Absolutely!!! I’d love to see that play out. The “First Moves” game I completed here was the first scenario of the first game of the system series, Eisenbaach Gap (the Deluxe edition). The second game is planned for this weekend and I started that thread.... the ”Defense of Klappebruck”, which has a ton more infantry.

The tough thing might be in scale... the game plays Platoon-level, and so we’re talking upwards of 60 men; butt the maps depict whole cities, whereas you could play a Squad-level variant, or a snippet of the battle at hand.

I have almost this whole system... I just bought one — Into The Breach — I was missing on eBay tonight! Last week, I got Paris is Burning, the first Compendium, and the Gamers guide from a new friend on facebook, and I think he joined up here, too! I’m on he hunt for The last bits: The Untold Stories by game, Battles within Battles download, The Texas War off Independence zippie, and Compendium 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Absolutely!!! I’d love to see that play out. The “First Moves” game I completed here was the first scenario of the first game of the system series, Eisenbaach Gap (the Deluxe edition). The second game is planned for this weekend and I started that thread.... the ”Defense of Klappebruck”, which has a ton more infantry.

The tough thing might be in scale... the game plays Platoon-level, and so we’re talking upwards of 60 men; butt the maps depict whole cities, whereas you could play a Squad-level variant, or a snippet of the battle at hand.

I have almost this whole system... I just bought one — Into The Breach — I was missing on eBay tonight! Last week, I got Paris is Burning, the first Compendium, and the Gamers guide from a new friend on facebook, and I think he joined up here, too! I’m on he hunt for The last bits: The Untold Stories by game, Battles within Battles download, The Texas War off Independence zippie, and Compendium 2.
    Cool! Yeah, that's what I meant. I had trouble finding the words. I definitely couldn't play at that scale, but I could focus on what's happening in a couple of hexes and come up with a skirmish scenario based on it. It would be a story within the story. Fun to imagine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12