Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

“The Defense of Klappebruck”: World at War * Eisenbach Gap Deluxe (SCEN 2)

Next up on deck, “The Defense of Klappebruck”

SITUATION

May 17, 1985. Team Bravo, of the. American Forces, is the 1st Battalion’s reserves. The Soviets 33rd Motor Rifle achieve a breakthrough, with their goal of seizing the bridges over the Klappebruck River. Team Bravo must stop them.

Playable Area: East of Hex Row “0” inclusive.
    Turns: 11, with 2x End Turn Markers.

FORCES & SSR

The Soviets have the entire 33rd Motorized Rifle Platoonof 6x BMP-1 Platoons, 6x Infantry Platoons, 2x Saggers support weapons, 3x T-62 Tank Platoons and a HQ (T-62) platoon; and 2 X 3(4) HE Fire Missions and 1 Smoke Fire Mission, 1x Formation Marker.

The Americans have all of Team Bravo, comprised of 1x Abrams Tank Platoon, 2x M-113 Platoons, 2x Infantry Platoons with 2x Dragon Missiles
    (support weapons), 1x ITV platoon, 1x HQ (M-113), 2x Formation Markers.

SSR:
    1. Due to surprise, the Soviet 33rd Motorized Rifle may activate to begin play. No Formation Marker is pulled in order to play this pre-play formation activation. After this initial activation, play continues normally. Note that this allows the 33rd to activate twice the first turn!

2. On Turns 2-4, after the first time the 33rd Motor Rifle is activated, the Soviet player returns the 33rd’s Formation Marker to the draw cup.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:

Soviets must control all City Hexes in the playable area.

"There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Got super sidetracked, but finally got this one underway... not sure I can finish it today but I’d set it up a couple days ago and though I get back to work tomorrow (and this is on my desk!), I wanted to at least start a try!!! This one embarks me on something I am not all that used to, and therefore a tad uncomfortable with: A scenario heavy in Infantry at the Platoon-level; and APCs too! It’s more a thing of, I just don’t have a lot of experience in that kind of engagement so, it’s kinda a swing and hope I connect, kind of thing. The problem this gave me was in setup of the American forces, which have only one Abrams tank platoon, an an ITV & TOW jeep platoon for missiles power. Combined with infantry and APCs, that’s slim odds against several Russian tank platoons and a boatload of Infantry/APCs!

Americans...

Russians....

I was thinking of playing it a little conservatively to start, especially with the Russians needing to capture and hold 9 City hexes in 11 turns — that’s an ambitious goal, even with the SSRs of a fee move to start the game and three more extra possibilities with chit returns in Turns 2-4. Yet, I tend to either bend towards a 1) balance a conservative & aggressive gameplay, or 2) in-your-face aggressive play. 8 went with option 1 this game

I placed my middle units on a far hill to the north west of Birghoff ; and Infantry and APC support in north of Eisenbach across the river as a backfield protector (which may also be a Last Stand unit); my HQ and an Infantry/APC platoon in Klapperbuck; and the sketchy (aggressive) choice my Abrams tank platoon I. The woods north of Rumwald, which is a dangerous forward position. The first chit pull could be rough, if the Russians gain that!

My strategy is basically, to hit units of opportunity with my missiles from the back-battlefield, while bringing my tanks to bear, hoping for a first chit pull allowing the Ops Complete t9 come off and thereby giving me two shots at the Red Bear.

Russians enter within three hexes of the bottom die; Americans setup on or North of the red die.

Pre-game Russian Activation

The beginning of the game has a free Russian turn without a chit pull...surprise attack!

The Abrams platoon actually missed the advancing APC and loaded infantry that entered the woods west of Rumwald! Guess they were caught with their hatches open! As the Russian APC moved out of the woods, the American TOW Jeep disrupted the APC and halted its forward advance...it was a good shot, and chosen for the best effectiveness of halting the advance to partially block the road.

The Russians then moved another loaded APC out of Rumwald, where the American ITV scored a massive kill on the personnel carrier and its infantry.

But, that was all the American could bring to bear on the advancing enemy, the Russians barreling forward to the tree line of the Abrams platoon, while e also capturing Rumwald and Lansamen.

On to the chit pull.

I love this system. My regular opponent is stuck into Panzer currently though. I play what he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I love this system. My regular opponent is stuck into Panzer currently though. I play what he plays.
    Well, we’ll have to play some WaW then, shan’t we!?!

Turn 1 of 11

Crazy stuff ensued on Turn 1... the Russians activate first, but their tanks could not take out the American Abrams tank platoon, but with some close assaulting and offloading of some Infantry the combined attack had the Abrams platoon Reduced, which is not good.

American Bravo then got two activations, where the Disrupted Abrams Rallied, and Bravo consolidated North of the river, between Eisenbach and Birghoff. Now, it’s a lay in wait strategy, hoping that the long reach of the American missiles and tank AP fire can hold out against the oncoming Soviet swarm.

...to be continued

Turn 2 of 11

This, and the next couple turns see the Russians return their Formation activation chit back into the draw cup after activation, so they essentially get two activations! This is a big deal because, they normally only get one activation, whereas the Americans get two (they have two formation activation chits).

And in this case, they got a first go at the battlefield and made good use of it in edging their forces closer to the river bridge on the east side of the board; creeping through the forest woods. Going up center, one out of command range APC and loaded Infantry stayed Out of Command (OOC), while another crept up behind a clump of woods, so that the American missile units couldn’t rain hell down on them...next turn, they are going to have to figure out if they want to go for the hill, and a flanking maneuver to the town of Eisenbach, or pivot right to join up with the main force; the problem with that is they will remain out of Command Range of their HQ and have to roll for morale every Saturn to see if they are in command.

This is a closeup of the Russians tree chopping efforts!

And this next one is the Americans fortifying their position. I chose to move the Reduced Abrams platoon with the HQ for potential added firepower.

Turn 3 to come!

Turn 3 of 11

IMPULSE: Americans Bravo Team activate first and want to do a little consolidation... the Infantry in Eisenbach wanted to move up to the southern city perimeter so that it can activate a Dragon support weapons (SW) chit next activation sequence, but I knew they’d get slammed by Opportunity fire from the Russians, which they did; but since Ops Fire can only be done once per hex entered, there was only one salvo, which fortunately missed threw one hit/one negate. Infantry in Birgoff’s east sector move to the western side of town with the ITV...this will afford them LOS into and around Klapperbruck.

IMPULSE DRAW: Bravo again! The Infantry in Eisenbach activates a Dragon missiles SW, and fires on the loaded Russian BMP armored personnel carrier on the south edge of Klapperbruck, and Disrupts them. At least they are clogging the covered path into the city, stacking-wise! Nothing else in LOS, so it ends Bravo’s turn.

IMPULSE DRAW: Russian’s 33rd Motor activates. Yikes... loaded BMP north of Lansemen is Out of Command (OOC) still...Morale roll failed. Loaded BMP with the other Disrupted unit moves up into Klapperbruck, drawing Opportunity Fire from the ITV (I didn’t use the TOWs, in case something tries to sneak up the east woods south of Klapperbruck). I am doing this because I want to get my 33rd Mot. HQ with armor platoon in the northern-most woods hex so that it can call either HE or Smoke artillery next activation... since the 33rd Formation Chit goes back into the draw cup, it might get an activation (unless the second End Turn marker is drawn) again, while the Americans in Eisenbach are Ops Complete and can’t act. Disruption...dang! OK, at least nothing is Reduced yet. HQ with two armor units move separately, past the T62 in the open field in the middle of the woods, to the target northern perimeter woods hex; loaded BMP moves from south of woods east of Lansamen, to joined the T62 in that woods clearing the HQ just drove through. We’ll leave it at that for this impulse.

This is a quick SITREP picture...

So the 33rd Mot. Formation marker was added back to the cup, and luck held for the Russians in it being drawn again!

IMPULSE DRAW:

Yet once again, the loaded BMP outside of Lansamen remains OOC and is silent still; and a Rally Roll was done for the forward Disrupted unit, which rallied, and the one behind it rallied as well.

33rd Mot. HQ calls in the two HE artillery barrages: The fist in on the TOW Jeep/ Reduced Abrams, and after rolling, it was the target hex, and the TOW was Disrupted; and the second barrage was for the ITV/Infantry and the ITV was Disrupted. This Russian artillery men must be from Texas!

Two T62 platoon with HQ assist on one, fires at the Disrupted TOW Jeep platoon: The Jeep managed an ignore on one hit but was Reduced by another hit from a T62 platoon with the bonus of the HQ; and the other T62 got a KIA on the TOW Jeep...that’s a tough loss. The HQ managed to come through it unscathed and can assist the Reduced Abrams coming next turn if the tanks rally.

BMP in Klapperbruck fires on Reduced, Disrupted Abrams and kills! It also eliminated the HQ platoon. OK, this isn’t going well.

Repositioning, loaded BMP outside of Klapperbruck, and one behind that each move forward and into the woods; T62 platoon moves behind Klapperbruck; loaded BMP moves into wooded clearing; and the Reduced Infantry that I forgot about (DOH!) in Rumwald moves up t southern woods border.

SITREP...

So that was some particularly nasty stuff for the Americans.With the loss of the TOWs, that takes a lot of firepower out of the action...but Jeep’s a against T62’s played out as expected it would. The Jeeps in this scenario got a bonus they shouldn’t have, actually... unarmored vehicles actually get reduced by an AP first hit, and eliminated by the second. The T62’s killed the Jeeps in the end, but actually killed them a shot previously. Ooops. So many rules... just slipped by me.

I have been lucky in no American Support Weapons have been lost, especially the unplaced one, which rolled saves....I do need to get that on the infantry unit next opportunity.

It’s looking a little grim for the Americans, and it may come down to a slugfest in the cities with Infantry. On the other hand, the Russians may just roll all over what’s left. There are a lot of turns left!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast