Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just popping in to let you know that I'm following along.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Just popping in to let you know that I'm following along.
    Thanks! ...I appreciate that. I am hoping folks are finding this interesting. I really love this system and am happy to get people interested, even if just to watch this fine system play. Plus, always curious what others think of my strategy and choices.
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Turn 4 of 11

About to head out shopping in about a half hour, but figured I could get some impulses played!

IMPULSE DRAW: Americans’ Bravo Team activate. Reduced HQ redeployed onto the battlefield, going with the ITV; and a roll for Command is made for the M113 APC and Infantry/SW in Eisenbach, all passing. The Infantry platoon with the ITV moves back around the hill in back f the woods by Birghoff, with the intent to move in and fortify the city next activation.

The ITV targets a T62 platoon with HQ in the foremost woods hex southeast of Klapperbruck. Man, the LOS thread juuuuuuuuuust clears the vertices (tip) of the hex so, there is LOS. The T62/HQ is concealed and in TEM of woods so, at the cap of 2 Defensive Bonuses, but that brings them to an even 5 dice rolled to the Americas’...but 3 to 2 hits/ignores still leaves a T62 platoon Disruped and Reduced, and the HQ is Reduce with an unlucky roll of 1!

The Infantry platoon in Eisenbach fires it’s Dragon Missiles at the T62 platoon south of Klapperbruck... Disrupted and Reduced! USA! USA! USA!

IMPULSE DRAW: Russian 33rd Mot. Activates. Infantry south of woods above Rumwald is Out of Command; but the APC with Infantry loaded (north of Lamsamen) roll successfully for command. Reduced T62 platoon with the HQ rallies so they are no longer Disrupted. The T-62 platoon below Klapperbruck is not so lucky and remain Disrupted (and will remain Reduced regardless).

BMP in woods northeast of Klapperbruck fires on ITV/Reduced HQ on the hill to the north = Disrupted. Other BMP fires = Miss. BMP in Klapperbruck fires at Infantry with Dragon SW in Eisenbach = Disrupted. BMP/Infantry move from area Lamsmen to woods hill hex to the Northeast.

BMP/Infantry move from wooded clearing to Klapperbruck, fortifying the city. I need to unload therm to get those support weapons on some of these infantry units... I have been damned lucky to avoid loosing any to sister unit attrition!!!

33 Mot. Formation marker goes back in the till, the last time that can happen, per SSR. From now on, there will only be the one Russian activation per turn, which could be crucial for the Americans. I’ve tried to push the Russians as aggressively as possible with this added activation bonus through four turns, while still being vigilant in advancing.

This is the scene at the moment, partway through this turn...

Gotta run so, to be continued!

It’s an interesting development to he Scenario thus far:

I’m halfway through Turn 4, and have 7 turns left... attrition has beset both sides and have in their ways, handicapped options. Klapperbruck is somewhat of a bottleneck at the moment, since MF’s aren’t sufficient to get most units into cover and rather left under Opportunity Fire threat.

Eisenbach and the wooded hills on the west side of the battlefield has units threatened with being out of command every activation, ‘cause HQ’s are so far away. Splitting forces was a gamble, which has paid off more for the Americans with their long reaching SW missiles... not very much for the Russians, getting bogged down a lot...I didn’t really strategize that well, obviously...but they may have the last laugh at a back door surprise.

Oddly, I thought I’d have had better speed and luck crossing the Klapperbruck bride and storming Birghoff...and then doing a western pivot siege of Eisenbach...but the American defense has been formidable so far. Will time run out on them?

I feel better with using platoon infantry, which has been a Achilles heel for me, but it’s still something being grappled with, mechanics-wise.

Turn 4 to be continued tomorrow!

IMPULSE DRAW: Bravo Activates

The HQ was eliminated in Bravo’s earlier activation so, it is currently off board... but it’s Morale (Reduced) is still used to roll for Morale, for each onboard unit for Command check, and any Rally attempts. ITV rolls and is in Command and Rallies the Disruption off. Infantry north of Birghoff in in Command, but the M113 isn’t. Infantry with Dragon roll in Command and Rallies the Disruption off. I’m using a new set of Flying Pig Games 6-sided dice and they obviously like the Americans!!! M113 in Eisenbach in OOC.

Infantry by woods north of, moves into Birghoff...if they end up Op Firing on the Russians anticipated to move next Russian activation, they should be able to be deployed with, and fire their Dragon SW.

Checking on something...

OK, got the answer! I was wondering if I had been playing support weapons (SW) wrong; an infantry unit can fire 1 hex away with AP (2 with HE)...a Dragon missiles SW can fire 7 hexes away. I want to shoot at a T62, seven hexes away. Can they? You see, an SW can only be forced when the infantry uses its inherent firepower...what if the target is beyond the infantry’s range?

Answer from the Rules Czar is...

Support Weapons – Intrinsic Firepower (1.3.5)
    QUESTION: If an infantry platoon fires it's Dragon at a Soviet tank platoon several hexes away & outside the range of the platoons intrinsic AT value, I'm assuming that the platoon’s firepower is 'lost' as the entire platoon is then marked as OPS COMPLETE? I don't recall seeing a rule that says only the SW is marked as OPS COMPLETE so I think that's correct.
    ANSWER: That is correct. The entire infantry platoon is marked Ops Complete
    OK!
    Infantry’s Dragon SW in Eisenbach fires at T62 platoon south outskirts of Klapperbruck. KIA!
    ITV fires at Reduced (each) HQ/T62 in woods southeast of Klapperbruck. Reduced T62 KIA with three hits, none ignored; and HQ rolls negatively and is eliminated again.

IMPULSE DRAW: 33rd Mot.

With the HQ out of the picture, all units needed to roll for Morale... only the BMP’s/Infantry in the woods north of Klapperbruck and the wooded hills south of Eisenbach roll morale for in Command, and everyone else is OOC.

Let’s get crazy! The BMP with loaded Infantry roars down the hill, through Eisenbach and assault the M113 in the city! M113 gets a hit and is Disrupted, and since it didn’t score anything, retreats in the direction opposite the attacker, but luckily for the M113, a woods hex from which to lick wounds in cover!

Let’s get crazier! A BMP with loaded infantry leaves the woods northeast of Klapperbruck and storms the hill at the ITV, which gets Disrupted with no hits in defensive assault attack, so it retreats behind the hill. The other BMP trails after and assaults the wounded ITV; since the ITV is Disrupted, the To Hit number is increased to 6! The BMP Reduced the ITV, which retreats into the Cultivated hex to the north.

YIKES! Now that’s action!!!

End of Turn 4 and SITREP...

Driving off the ITV, and Reduced at that is a critical blow to the Americans. Assault combat is deadly stuff!! The BMP’s won’t be so daring to go after the Infantry in Birghoff though, as the Americans have superior assault factors, so it may come down to a reposition of Russian assets and HE fire...

On the east side of the battlefield, pushing the American APC out of town, while securing two Victory Hexes may prove a deadly decision if American Bravo activates first and lets loose those missiles...talk about Broken Arrow time!!!!

This is getting interesting!

So, about to have movie night with my sweetheart, and Thanksgiving Day tomorrow so, to be continued maybe Saturday ...unless football sucks tomorrow and maybe this will win the toss for Turn 5!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12