Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Playtesting my Aw Frik rules

My old one-page Aw Frik miniatures rules came up in conversation with madman and Em today, and I decided to see how they hold up against the No End in Sight rules I've been using lately. I've playtested them on virtual tables, but never with actual miniatures.

To do a proper test, I should use a scenario I've already tried with the NEiS rules. So, while my table is still set up for a scenario I just played with those rules, I'll do the same one again with my own rules.

I'm pasting my previous scenario here, and I'll indicate where changes will need to be made for the replay. Gray text indicates rules that won't apply.

Assault on the Power Station, scenario details

Objectives
    SPLM-IO (attackers): Run the SPAR platoon out of the power station and occupy it.
    SPAR (defenders): Prevent the rebels from overtaking the power station.

Deployment
    SPAR will set up first, as the defenders. SPLM-IO scout team will arrive in a vehicle on Airport Road in Turn 1. The rest of the SPLM-IO platoon will arrive in vehicles or on foot in Turn 2. The SPLM military police will deploy on the south table edge after the SPLM-IO arrival in Turn 3.

[Note: Turns will be much shorter with my rules, so these things are going to happen much faster.]

Special rules
    At the beginning of each turn, SPLM-IO rolls 1d6 and SPAR rolls 1d3 to determine the number of intel points available for use as extra activation points during each phase of that turn. There's nothing like intel rules in Aw Frik, so this won't apply.

A SPAR squad or half-squad or the military police will activate receive initiative first each turn. Since turns are much faster with Aw Frik, this will help the SPAR side a lot more than it did before, because there will be far more turns.

Following the first activation, all activations will be determined by card draw. Drawn cards go to a discard pile. Exhausted squads are removed from the deck. The cards will be reshuffled, without the exhausted squads, each time the deck runs out. They will be reshuffled with all cards (except destroyed or exited squads) at the start of each turn. Since activations in Aw Frik are by soldier rather than by squad, I won't be using a card deck and will decide which soldiers will activate.

Outer doors of the power station are locked at start of game. Aw Frik has no door rules, so they'll be unlocked.

Figures may cross Airport Road as a normal move but may not retreat across it, due to oncoming traffic. Aw Frik has no retreat rules.

Order of battle
    SPLM-IO:
    1 squad of 7 trained, fanatical hard-to-kill infantry with 1 SAW, high motivation motivating
    1 squad of 7 trained, fanatical hard-to-kill infantry with 1 RPG, high motivation motivating
    1 squad of 7 trained, fanatical hard-to-kill infantry with small arms, high motivation motivating
    Each squad has 1 leader
    1 platoon commander
    1 scout team* of 4 trained, fanatical hard-to-kill infantry with small arms, moderate motivation
    1 light armored car, no weaponry, trained 2-man crew, commanded by SL
    1 technical with HMG, trained 2-man crew, commanded by driver
    1 unarmored truck, no weaponry, trained 2-man crew, commanded by driver

SPAR:
    1 squad of 6 professional elite, regular infantry with SAW, high motivation motivating
    1 squad of 3 professional elite, regular infantry with RPG, high motivation motivating
    Each squad has 1 leader (Rabbit leads the half-squad, which also includes Snake)

SPLM military police:
    1 squad of 7 trained, green infantry with small arms, low motivation
    1 squad leader
    1 armored car, no weaponry

*Scout team adds +1 to all rush rolls, to a maximum of 6" is quick (adds 2" to movement in addition to other bonuses)
    If the scout team intends to spend all its activation points moving, they may add +1 to the activation roll and maneuverable (on a d6 of 5-6, can move up to 6" during its activation without triggering opportunity fire).

Notes on how troop ratings will affect this game:

Fanatical hard-to-kill SPLM-IO platoon, high motivation motivating
    Receive +1 bonus in hand-to-hand fighting.
    If forced to retreat due to enemy fire, will instead, on a roll of 4-6, advance on the nearest enemy the same distance they would have retreated. If this does not get them into a close assault, they will take reaction fire immediately.
    Receive no stress from losses.

Receive extra rally roll each time they're activated.
    Upon contact, can decrease the friction points of any unit by 2.

Professional Elite SPAR squads, high motivation motivating
    Receive +1 bonus in hand-to-hand fighting.
    Can give/receive orders at a distance up to 10", rather than the standard 8".
    Receive 1 additional firepower point per figure when attacking.
    Will not receive additional stress points until 3 members are killed.

Roll twice for each initiative roll and each activation roll, taking higher result.
    Reroll any failed opportunity fire roll.
    When targeted, cause a -1 modifier to the combat roll.
    Upon contact, can decrease the friction points of any unit by 2.

Green SPLM military police, low motivation:
    Activation roll of 6 must be rerolled
    Rushing roll of 6 must be rerolled
    Saving roll of 6 must be rerolled
    Pressure roll of 6 must be rerolled
    Receive 1 stress point for every casualty

No effects.

Card deck:
    Jack of clubs: SPLM-IO alpha squad
    Jack of diamonds: SPLM-IO bravo squad
    Jack of hearts: SPLM-IO charlie squad
    4 of clubs: SPLM-IO scout team
    King of clubs: SPLM-IO platoon commander
    Ace of spades: SPAR full squad
    King of spades: SPAR half squad
    Queen of spades: SPLM military police squad
    Last edited by josta59; 02-07-2020 at 10:31 AM.

This is awesome...I’m glad you ambled down this road, and I’ll be watching with great interest. The AF rules was a very cool system to see on your virtual table, but I am super stoked to see them played out with miniatures! Good hunting!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Thank you, sir!

I set my toys back up, and away we go.

The technical came in sight of the power station, and the SPAR team blew it all to hell with opportunity fire, resulting in 32 friction points on the vehicle and the rebel scout team, and no possibility of shooting back.

Seems realistic so far, and it's about the same result I got last time, but without having to look up a bunch of rules on different pages.

Attachment 2786Name:  20200208_141549.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  86.1 KB

Seeing some different results now. The rebels' armored car took a beating, but the truck behind it was mostly ignored. A rebel with RPG took a shot at the building, causing major stress to the SPAR with RPG.Name:  20200208_150203.jpg
Size:  88.1 KB

What is with all the dice?At first I thought you were using them to represent troops but you have enough minis and if the numbers shown indicate some game feature I assume you would still have a mini there and locate the die next to it. Then I see the large number of sixes so now I am wondering if they are the hits which actually got through. That would be a LOT of hits! Big ouch.

The rebels in the armored car were finally going to start dismounting, but then some military police got in position and kept them pinned inside.

Name:  20200208_170245.jpg
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    What is with all the dice?At first I thought you were using them to represent troops but you have enough minis and if the numbers shown indicate some game feature I assume you would still have a mini there and locate the die next to it. Then I see the large number of sixes so now I am wondering if they are the hits which actually got through. That would be a LOT of hits! Big ouch.
    Those are friction points on the vehicles themselves, representing damage to the vehicles as well as stress on the drivers. They won't be moving anytime soon.

The rebel scouts finally recover and start lobbing grenades through the windows! Rabbit is wounded!

Name:  20200208_172437.jpg
Size:  87.8 KB
    Last edited by josta59; 02-08-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Those are friction points on the vehicles themselves, representing damage to the vehicles as well as stress on the drivers. They won't be moving anytime soon.
    So each die is a single friction point and the number happens to be the result of the modified rolls, or there is an insane amount of friction on those vehicles?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast