Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I never saw a link to your Quick Frik rules, just the Awe Frik ones.

They aren't finished. A few strokes in the search bar would've brought you here: http://www.wargamingdropzone.com/sho...es-development

Let us know when you feel they are at the point you want to make them available for others to try. As I said I am looking for something with a little more, stuff, but am more than willing to comment in a helpful and hopefully friendly way (don't want to offend or plant my foot firmly in my mouth!).

You know I will!

Invalid attachment notify administrator.

Not a big problem as I just ran my printer out of two brand new cartridges (biggest size) of ink which I just replaced yesterday. It won't let me even print out in B&W so this will be waiting a day or two anyways. Thank you.

I made some modifications to the rules and started the game over today. I still wasn't happy with how easily my "hard-to-kill" rebels were rallying. I made more adjustments and will plan to try yet another version, this time with a different scenario to see how my tweaks are changing things.

Part of the problem is that I'm applying special traits to entire platoons, rather than one squad or less. This reminds me of the feedback I got from madman when I made all the rebels fanatical using the No End in Sight rules. Using either rule set, the rebels are too powerful, and with my own rules, I end up in a stalemate since there are no rules for instant death upon touching, as there are with No End in Sight. The game just becomes frustrating when no one can be killed.

So although I argued with myself for a long time about this, I've decided to make rallying really difficult, particularly if a squad leader is disrupted. That way, any "hard-to-kill" squads will still be somewhat killable.

I hope to start a new scenario this weekend and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    ...So although I argued with myself for a long time about this, I've decided to make rallying really difficult, particularly if a squad leader is disrupted. That way, any "hard-to-kill" squads will still be somewhat killable.
    Of course, my experience being more with board games, that may be skewed to not pertinent but... I’ve mostly seen systems where, if the Leader is disrupted, the units under their influence cannot rally. The thought being, the men are confused or in disarray, and temporarily stymied in action. That always made sense to me. I guess if you’re thinking along that line of thought, you’d best need to figure out a way to factor a Zone of Control in around that leader, if the units would indeed be dependent on a leader to act effectively. Where it gets sketchy is farther away.... would a unit out of earshot be unable to be influenced by a leader and thereby act independently (perhaps a die roll for independent thinking).

Also, Rally should ever be an easy thing... on the battlefield, it takes very little to throw the whole area in chaos.

Just thoughts.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Appreciate that, Em. Especially that last thought. It makes me feel like I've made the right decision.

I do like giving them a slight chance of rallying even if their leader has died or left them. And my rules have always had the zone of control, whereby a leader must be within 6" to give them a better chance of rallying. Well, ok, it was 12" until last week, but that was one of the first things to change once I actually tried this with real miniatures.

Appreciate that, Em. Especially that last thought. It makes me feel like I've made the right decision.
    Yes indeed, I too believe you’re on the right track!

I do like giving them a slight chance of rallying even if their leader has died or left them. And my rules have always had the zone of control, whereby a leader must be within 6" to give them a better chance of rallying. Well, ok, it was 12" until last week, but that was one of the first things to change once I actually tried this with real miniatures.
    An interesting mechanic I just bumbled into with the Lock ‘N Load, World at War system is called “Hallowed Ground”. Basically, a leader who is killed has that hex become a rallying spot for the troops of his formation. Units get to roll an extra Rally die in that hex. I wonder if there may be something in that which might help in your rules system?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    An interesting mechanic I just bumbled into with the Lock ‘N Load, World at War system is called “Hallowed Ground”. Basically, a leader who is killed has that hex become a rallying spot for the troops of his formation. Units get to roll an extra Rally die in that hex. I wonder if there may be something in that which might help in your rules system?
    Huh, that's pretty unique. So can troops that need rallying still move in that game? Or does that only apply to troops that happened to be in that hex already?

With many miniatures rules, including mine, disrupted units can't do anything. They're basically pinned down, or panicked, or wounded...you can't really tell in Quik Frik. So they wouldn't be able to move to where the leader was.

Also, skirmish miniatures scenarios typically take place in an area of ground often represented by one hex of a board game! So everyone is already in that hex. LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast