QUIK FRIK rules now available at WargameVault

Hi, all,

It's with gratitude and humility (and Em's permission) that I announce that my labor of love, the simple but unique QUIK FRIK rules that I've worked on for two years, are now available at WargameVault.

My thanks to Em, madman, and everyone else who shared their thoughts on my little system over the last few years. This all started with my one-page "Showers of Blood" rules a few years ago, which evolved into "Aw Frik," and now has evolved further into QUIK FRIK. I've collected ideas from many gaming systems, including computer games and even card games, into one very concise set of rules with one combat table. It works for me, and maybe it will work for a few other people, too.

Here's a link to the PDF of the rules on WargameVault: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/303556/Quik-Frik. I've already sold a few copies! Enjoy.

Welcome to the Designer's Club, and congratulations! This is a milestone moment for you, and I am sure many more games are to come in the future! I applaud you for the persistence and tenacity you displayed in developing this project, and adding to the greater wargaming community. I am very glad to see that the forum here, provided a vehicle to this moment, too! Thank you for sharing.
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Thanks, Em! Yeah, I meant to also say that it's this small community of gamers that has sustained and encouraged me since 2012. So this wouldn't have happened if not for you guys. Thanks especially to you, Em, for your support, encouragement, and friendship the last eight years!

Today I came up with a one-sentence addition to my QUIK FRIK rules that I expect to make a huge difference in game flow. I haven't playtested this new rule yet, but I think it will make gameplay more realistic and more fun. It is:

Ground units may move and attack during a leader's activation if starting within 1" of the leader or entering the table with the leader.

This solves two major problems I've had with QUIK FRIK:
    1. It's hard to keep fire teams together even when it seems like it should be easy, like when they're entering the table together.[/LIST]
    2. Leaders are typically set up in a defensive position and left there with little to do, because the only incentive regarding them is to protect them from damage. Now they'll be essential parts of the game!

But Scott, won't players just group as many troops next to the leader as possible and use these groups as giant killing machines?

They might try, but they'll run into line-of-sight issues because they can't fire through each other. It would also make them vulnerable to grenade attacks. Kind of like in real life.

What this new rule will do is allow lots more figures to move and attack per turn, which will keep gameplay from bogging down so much. The stakes will be increased because leaders will be much more vulnerable, and killing them will have a much greater effect. It will also get groups onto the table faster, which is another problem I've had with the current rules.

This is such a major change that I want to make a QUIK FRIK v2.0 available soon, after I've playtested it a bit. This is my second revision since I made the game available back in February. The first revision was in July, which was making armored units count as hard cover for troops inside, unless targeted by an armor-piercing weapon--again, a fairly obvious change, but important!

A month later, I still haven't playtested this idea. I got really interested in working on my Firepower miniatures rules, instead. I'm enjoying those quite a bit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Today I came up with a one-sentence addition to my QUIK FRIK rules that I expect to make a huge difference in game flow. I haven't playtested this new rule yet, but I think it will make gameplay more realistic and more fun. It is:

Ground units may move and attack during a leader's activation if starting within 1" of the leader or entering the table with the leader.

This solves two major problems I've had with QUIK FRIK:
    1. It's hard to keep fire teams together even when it seems like it should be easy, like when they're entering the table together.[/LIST]
    2. Leaders are typically set up in a defensive position and left there with little to do, because the only incentive regarding them is to protect them from damage. Now they'll be essential parts of the game!

But Scott, won't players just group as many troops next to the leader as possible and use these groups as giant killing machines?

They might try, but they'll run into line-of-sight issues because they can't fire through each other. It would also make them vulnerable to grenade attacks. Kind of like in real life.

What this new rule will do is allow lots more figures to move and attack per turn, which will keep gameplay from bogging down so much. The stakes will be increased because leaders will be much more vulnerable, and killing them will have a much greater effect. It will also get groups onto the table faster, which is another problem I've had with the current rules.

This is such a major change that I want to make a QUIK FRIK v2.0 available soon, after I've playtested it a bit. This is my second revision since I made the game available back in February. The first revision was in July, which was making armored units count as hard cover for troops inside, unless targeted by an armor-piercing weapon--again, a fairly obvious change, but important!
    That sounds like a great adjustment, and it does sound like a realistic adjustment. If you look at most squad and platoon-level games, Leaders play a HUGE role in command and control. Definitely needs play testing though, given your excellent observation of some gamers maybe wanting to mass group around the leader... you state very well thought out and valid observations of the limitations that would be involved with mass crowding.

As an aside... instead of a v2, you may want to just include an Errata sheet, explaining the choice of a new Leader activation mechanic? Maybe not, as it is a pretty dramatic new variation. I mention only, because it popped into my noodle!

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    A month later, I still haven't playtested this idea. I got really interested in working on my Firepower miniatures rules, instead. I'm enjoying those quite a bit right now.
    Living that myself, as I have two systems that need play testing but have fallen to the back burner for a long time. I think that happens to a lot of us designers.
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”