Game 1, “Operation Molotov Cocktail” - World at War (TOS)

This is my take on an Introductory scenario to the original series of World at War, by Lock ‘N Load Publishing. This will be played on the original Mark Walker version of the game, Eisenbach Gap Deluxe. I am playing this as a Campaign, and this is game 1.

NOTE: The Soviet forces are played with the 1st Tank formation chit/counters representing the 47th Guards Tank Division.

SITREP
    :
    The year is 1985, and the Soviet Union 47 Guards Tank Division is spearheading a headlong thrust into NATO forces in West Germany. Tensions have been running high between NATO counties and the Warsaw Pact, but Western nations had no serious expectations that the threat was more than saber rattling.

They were wrong.

The Soviet Union was poised to strike at the heart of NATO, and this scenario zeroes in on the Eisenbach Gap of West Germany. The scenario will depict the surprise attack, specifically with three companies of T-72 tanks of the 47th Guards leading the charge of the spearhead: It’s goal is the city of Eisenbach, securing possession of acquired rear guard territory as it progresses.

SETUP
    :

SOVIET FORCES
    :
    The Soviets have the 1st Tank Formation (47th Guards Tank Division), comprised of 10x T-72 Platoons; 1-HQ Platoon; 4 X 3(4) HE Fire Missions and 1 Smoke Fire Mission. Soviets come in from off-board, anywhere between Hexes DD1-DD7.

AMERICAN FORCES:
    The Americans have all of Team Yankee, comprised of 2x Abrams tank platoons and HQ platoon (Abrams), along with 1x M-113, 1x ITV platoon, 1x Infantry platoon with Dragon missiles (support weapons). Setup first, within 3 Hexes of T5.

SSR: Soviets get to activate once at start of scenario, without drawing a chit. This is to account for surprise of the Soviet incursion. Regular play then starts with drawing formation chits immediately after this surprise activation; which depending on if the 47th Guards is pulled on Turn 1 (before End Turn markers are pulled), allows the potential for the 47th Guards Tank Division to activate twice! (47th Guards has only one formation chit in the cup... Team Yankee has two). Soviets enter from off-board, anywhere between Hexes DD1 - DD7.

Playable area is the entire Eisenbach Gap Deluxe map.

VICTORY CONDITIONS
    :
    Soviets must control all playable hexes of Birghoff, Klappebruck, Eisenbach, and Bergengiphel before the end of Turn 10 to win. Any other result is an American victory.

This is my setup for American forces leading into the scenario....

...There's an American M113 under the dismounted Infantry in Hex S5; and an Abrams under the HQ.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Per the SSR, The Soviets get a free activation. There was no need for Housekeeping, Command Check, or Rally so we move right into...

They used their Smoke fire mission and made a successful target hit of Hex Y6, covering the area hex and adjacent hexes with a smoke screen.

Operations Phase:

— Move 2x Soviet T-72 platoons through hex DD6, through the top of the woods heading for the road into Klappebruck. The Americans can see the movement through the smoke with their Advanced Imaging and Opportunity Fire with the Abrams and HQ in V3
    Eisenbach when the Soviets reach AA6! The Abrams fires at one of the platoons, at Reduced Range, which negates the firing through smoke penalty. 5 Hits/0 Saves = KIA! The Abrams in U5 fires through the smoke at the other platoon, but isn't at reduced range so, there's a +1drm To Hit penalty; 2 Hits/1 Save = Disruption.

— Move 2x Soviet T-72 platoons individually, around the woods and into Klappenbruck.

— Move 1x Soviet T-72 platoon with HQ into AA6, of which the HQ can assist with Rally next turn.

— Move 2x Soviet T-72 platoons through Birghoff (securing another Victory Location) and into BB3 woods.

— Move 1x Soviet T-72 platoon onto Hill AA4.

— Move 2x Soviet T-72 platoons individually, onto bridge AA7.

Victory cities if Birghoff and Klappebruck have been seized.

SITREP

Turn 1 will be up next.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Turn 1, Formation Draw 1, American Team Yankee

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers

Command Check: All units in command.

Rally Phase: None needed

Operations Phase:

The Americans can still see the movement through the smoke with their Advanced Imaging, with the Abrams and HQ in V3 Eisenbach and fires at the Disrupted T-72 platoon, at Reduced Range -1drm, which negates the firing through smoke penalty of +1drm. 2 Hits/1 Saves = Reduction, and still Disrupted. The Abrams in U5 Eisenbach fires through the smoke at the just Reduced platoon, but isn't at reduced range so, there's a +1drm To Hit penalty; Miss.

The ITV moves to N4, with LOS long range, between Eisenbach and the hills. It was in sucky position where it was in Q1.

Infantry move forward into Eisenbach T5 and is assigned the Dragon Support Weapon! I hate moving my infantry up so soon but, I need the added firepower at this early stage.

SITREP:

It helped having that smoke screen, as the Soviets can't see through it currently (no advanced imaging on their tanks).

Note, the Dragon is Ops Complete, but the VASSAL mod isn't allowing me to put it atop the stack.

Soviets are up next, so I need to consider how I want to handle this.

Turn 1, Formation Draw 2, Soviet 47th Guards

Ops complete markers removed, all units in Command, and the Disrupted/Reduced T-72 in AA6 Rally's, with the aid of the HQ.

Operations Phase:

The Soviet T-72 on the Hill AA4 fires at the Abrams in Eisenbach U5; 1 Hits/2 Saves = Miss. Two T-72's in Woods BB3 Move/Fire to Hill Z3 and fire at Abrams/HQ in Eisenbach V3; 2 Hits/0 Saves = Disrupted and Reduced! (...that was a hell of a shot, considering movement fire meant I had to roll 6's); Rolled for HQ status with 1d6=4, OK. The T-72 and Disrupted T-72 in AA6 move to Woods X3. The T-72's in Klappebruck move towards the hills but are stopped by Opportunity Fire from the American Dragon's ATGM support weapon, and is Disrupted/Reduced and halted in place; The other T-72 continues to Hill V7. One of the T-72 platoons on the bridge joint the other just moved platoon on Hill V7; while the other T-72 reverses direction and moves to Hill AA4 to reenforce the T-72 platoon up there.

SITREP:

This really leaves that Disrupted T-72 platoon on the left flank with it's drawers down! Hopefully they can Rally next turn, but it'll be at a disadvantage being out of command.

Of note, I decided to try and do my write-up more along the lines of the other gamers here, with a summation, rather than all the factors spelled out move-by-move (with combat dice rolls).

Turn 1, Formation Draw 3, End Turn Marker; Draw 4, American Team Yankee

Housekeeping Phase: Remove Ops Complete Markers

Command Check: All units in command Including the ITV, which had to roll for morale and got a 2!

Rally Phase: Reduced Abrams in V3 Rally's and is no longer Disrupted.

Operations Phase:

To be continued...