Firepower for miniatures

Four years ago, I reconfigured the basic rules of the Firepower board game from 1984 into a short set of miniatures rules. I put poor Em through his paces using these rules to play an arcade-style shoot-'em-up game (remember that, Em?).

That was on the previous version of the forum, so it can't be found on this forum. I was just looking these rules over again and thought I'd post them here. I still haven't tried them with actual miniatures, and I'm thinking about doing that soon.

Here they are: Firepower_basic rules for miniatures.pdf

Hi, all,

It took me seven months since my last post about this, but I finally got around to playtesting my Firepower rules with actual minis, and it worked well. It's very different from any other mini rules I've played, but I'm finding it rather satisfying.

Fair warning: You'll have a bloodbath if you don't pay attention to the rules for crouching and going prone. That makes this game fairly realistic. True to its name, there's some serious firepower in this game, similar to real life, and putting your figures in cover isn't enough. They need to make themselves as small as possible while in cover. That means you have to mark them as crouching or prone, which is kind of a pain, but it's worth it to me. It's possible to come out from hiding and attack, but you have to make sure you have enough movement factors to do that. And you'd better go prone while you do it, or the next guy will get you.

Suppressed and stunned figures recover very quickly with these rules, but I'm ok with that.

So this weekend I decided to work on a new vehicles section for these rules, which was a brutal undertaking, because rules applying to vehicles are spread across the 60 wall-of-text pages that are the 1984 Firepower rules. And there's a lot that's impossible to understand until you study several of the giant tables at the back of the book. It was like a research project. But I came up with something workable. I just playtested them with an RPG vs a Humvee with HMG (10mm minis), and it was fairly realistic and satisfying. You have to roll a 1 to hit a slowly moving Humvee from 13" away, but it's possible. 6-8" away is the sweet spot. The HMG is crazy deadly (15 shots at a time!), and if it gets your RPG guy, it's game over unless you have another guy pick up the RPG. And hope you never come up against a minigun with 120 shots in one go!

I'd love for you guys to give this a look over and tell me your thoughts. I removed the word "basic" from the title, because the basic Firepower rules don't include vehicles or even squad leaders, the latter of which I decided to include long ago.

I also added additional infantry weapons and longer ranges (guided missiles work best at 60" or more!), and I clarified some of the rules that were tripping me up, particularly the grenade blast rules.

Click the link below to download! And feel free to share.

Firepower_rules for miniatures.pdf
    Last edited by josta59; 10-27-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks Scott