Thread: Early War

Early War

Just to show I do indeed have 2 miniature armies ready to square off on the field of battle. The French are Hat Early War French and the early war Germans are a mix of Zvevda and Airfix. All in 1/72.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

WOW!!!!!!!

That’s some seriously awesome stuff, Mike! Your painting skills have really developed into something I am envying! They look fantastic.

The basing is also first rate.... is that flocking from a miniatures Orr model railroading brand? What do you do to prep and glue in place? Do you seal it afterwards? Flocking and basing in general is something I really need to work on.

Lastly, I love the scenery....that really pulls everything together visually, as well as mechanically for gameplay.

Just super stuff here! Would love to see more as you progress.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Thanks Em! I base on pennies, the Zvevda figures are a harder plastic and CA works good for them. Airfix and Hat are glued down with white glue and once set I go over them with another coat of white glue and sprinkle on fine sand I find in the driveway, just look where rain water runs down your driveway or street you will fill bage of the stuff in a few minutes. The ground work is a mixture of foam railroad material and static grass. I coat my figures with future floor wax to stiffen them up and protect, then dull cote when weather permits.

The buildings are a mix of Airfix, Italeri and Forces of Valor, street lamp, rubble pile, street lamp, cart are also all from the FoV sets you used to be able to buy in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Thanks Em! I base on pennies, the Zvevda figures are a harder plastic and CA works good for them. Airfix and Hat are glued down with white glue and once set I go over them with another coat of white glue and sprinkle on fine sand I find in the driveway, just look where rain water runs down your driveway or street you will fill bage of the stuff in a few minutes. The ground work is a mixture of foam railroad material and static grass. I coat my figures with future floor wax to stiffen them up and protect, then dull cote when weather permits.
    Our modeling techniques are very similar, though I’ve never used pennies as bases...makes sense (or cents, haha). White glue is a miniature modelers best friend! ...as is Future Floor Wax (for those unawares), which is really an acrylic, and invaluable in both miniatures and plastic kit model building.

Great tip on the driveway sand... I do that too, as well as always looking for pebbles and twigs!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

All kinds of little tricks. My trees are picture hanging wire with clump foliage. The trees though are super glued to nickels.

"Make cents"

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    All kinds of little tricks. My trees are picture hanging wire with clump foliage. The trees though are super glued to nickels.

"Make cents"
    Picture anti wire is brilliant! I know you can buy tree making kits (which I have)that have plastic trunks/branches, but your way is much cheaper.

Using nickels is also brilliant.... my plastic versions always had trouble standing up and I had to use Blue Tack on the undersides of the bases to make them stay up. It drove me nuts on the old Oil for Panzers game you played in back in the day....that was fun! I should do it again, but my wife was a bit miffed at a 5x6 diorama table setup for 6+ months in thee basement, hahahaha.