ASLSK Chronology Game #1 - Extraordinary Bravery

Danzig, Poland, 1 September 1939
    The Defence of the Polish Post Office in Danzig (Gdańsk) was one of the first acts of World War II in Europe, as part of the September Campaign.[1]:39,42 On September 1, 1939, the Invasion of Poland was initiated by Germany when the Schleswig-Holstein battleship opened fire on the Polish-controlled harbor of Danzig, around 04:45-48 hours. Danzig paramilitaries and police, supported by Germany, immediately joined the offensive to take full control of the city, by capturing the Polish post office. Polish personnel defended the building for some 15 hours against assaults by the SS Heimwehr Danzig (SS Danzig Home Defence), local SA formations and special units of Danzig police. All but four of the defenders, who were able to escape from the building during the surrender, were sentenced to death by a German court martial as illegal combatants on October 5, 1939, and executed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenc...fice_in_Danzig

Name:  ASLSK52001.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  103.8 KB

Here is the set up. One hidden position in the post office is fortified.
    Victory Conditions: Axis forces must control the Polish Post Office and lose less than 6 squad equivalents in the process.
    The game lasts 4.5 turns. Axis moves first.
    Kibitzing and advice is strongly encouraged.

Name:  ASLSK52002.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  103.3 KB

This is the gun being used. It's a 7.5 cm le.GebIG 18. Don't expect too much from it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm...sch%C3%BCtz_18

I’m glad to see this one come back! I’ve been curious to see what the end result will be, played out in the ASLSK format! I think it’s especially cool to see played it in a forum context too, as SK has a simpler construct that relates a little better to the storytelling style of watching a play-by-play AAR like this.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

First step is to fire those field cannon!

First shots!
    The two 75mm guns open up with no results. Two sections and an LMG, under SS leadership, manage to pin a Polish LMG.
    Now run or move up carefully?

Name:  ASLSK52003.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  49.6 KB

Man, that’s a dilemma... pinning the LMG is advantageous, but I’d be hesitant (but crazy enough) to move up carefully to test the waters (of course, when I do that, I usually get plastered!). I’ll be curious to see what side of the fence you fall on.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

FOR POLAND!! It's your only option Duncan.

The first half of turn 1 ends.
    I opted for a conservative advance. The Axis forces assault moved forward in order to get some limited fire. There is heavy defensive fire from the Polish troops. The buildings cover the advance and there is nothing of note other than a malfunctioned Polish LMG. Next turn the Axis will assault move into the road and then advance into close combat. The SS troops give a bonus to close combat.

Name:  ASLSK52004.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  98.3 KB

Picture from the actual battle.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  61.2 KB
    Last edited by Duncan; 04-19-2020 at 12:37 AM.

That Polish LMG seemed to be a key to that advance...now malfunctioned, what does it take t get it back in operable shape? And do you think this is going to be a major hindrance at the current next turn?