Avalon Hill, Panzer Leader: My First wargame

Avalon Hillís, Panzer Leader, was my introduction to wargame, and the first wargame I veer bought! It started it all for me! Simple mechanics for me today, though at the time in the 1980ís, it was like learning calculus! Simple in design and looks by todayís standard, but so exotic back in my genesis.

Itís versatile, too! Hereís a division sized game!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Definitely a classic, it's one of the few surviving AH games that I still own. They did make a Paratrooper variant of I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzenspark View Post
    Definitely a classic, it's one of the few surviving AH games that I still own. They did make a Paratrooper variant of I recall correctly.
    Still have mine (it and Panzer Blitz were my first two games). I have Paratrooper...but I thought that was an ASL introductory game, which never panned out as a training game for some reason. Maybe there was another...I get confused, as their was also a Paratrooper gam for Avalanche Press...which I think also was to be an introductory game

And yes... classic, in mechanics, design, and feel. It still is extremely playable. I used it as a Poll Game back on one of the old sites...I gave a multiple choice or ‘other’, and it played pretty well that way. It’s funny because, at the time I bought it (almost 40 years ago???), I thought it was brain numbing difficult to learn. Now, it’s entry level, hahaha.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

AH Stalingrad was my first real wargame followed by Panzer Blitz. Wasn't until years later I ran across a copy of Panzer Leader at a thrift store, unpunched! Of course if I had looked at it closer before buying(but I was really stoked to find it) I would have seen that the counters were punched terribly off center on some of the sheets. Still haven't played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    AH Stalingrad was my first real wargame followed by Panzer Blitz. Wasn't until years later I ran across a copy of Panzer Leader at a thrift store, unpunched! Of course if I had looked at it closer before buying(but I was really stoked to find it) I would have seen that the counters were punched terribly off center on some of the sheets. Still haven't played it.
    I haven’t looked at prices too closely for the game lately, like on eBay or BGG’s GeekMarket (the two go-to sources for me, for older games), but look to be about $35-40....it would be worth a second copy, to get the corrected ones and have extras for mega battles.

But....if you ever want to do the print ‘n play route, let me know....I could always scan the needed ones for you, and I’m just stupid enough to even make them up for you!

The counter sheets also look to be on BGG.

BGG having counter sheet pics is a recent discovery for me, and is real handy to replace worn or damaged counters. My favorite solo game is Raid on St. Nazaire, and a cat ate a searchlight once, so I ended up buying a whole new copy fo the game just for that. Knowing BGG, if the picture of that sheet was on there, I would have made my own, LOL.