Super Moderator

Updating forces for D Day

All of my infantry are ok for the new lists, technically I should have an mg42 on each stand as they are now Panzer grenadiers not Grenadiers but anyone who points that out will be treated rather rudely as at 15mm you can`t see that much detail anyway. Where I am having to make changes is in my armour. The old Eastern front lists in Grey Wolf are a lot more varied than D Day. Probably to reflect that units in Russia had forces amalgamated or had picked up stragglers whereas fir D Day units were fresh and had their proper compliment of equipement, so, no more mixed Stug and MK 4 lists for me.

My MK4 list is not too bad as I have hq, 2 x mk4 and platoon of 5 x mk4. The 2 obligatory slots are 1 platoon of mk4, and a platoon of mk4, Panthers, Tigers. The optional platoons are all mk 4. I have bought a mk4 sprue so that I can now field 2 x platoons of 3 x mk4, as well as panthers or Tigers giving me a higher formation break point.

My Stugs are different, I used to run a Stug Batterie, of 1 x Stug hq, and 2 x platoon of 2 x StuG,1 x StuH, all with a stand of begliet tank riders. The Stug are now Paras/fj and you cant mix and match so I orderd 2 sprues to make a total of 9 tanks, which at the moment I am looking at fielding as hq 2 x StuG, platoon of 4 x StuG, platoon of 3 x StuH. The 105mm on the StuH has less pen than the 75mm on the StuGs but the HEAT rounds do not lose pen over distance so it does balance out a bit and having them in the same platoon does give me the option of firing as arti. Their decent armour value means that I don`t have to be as carefull with them as I would with most arti. They are also a main formation choice which means I can take them as support in another formation which could be quite useful.

I am considering ordering 2 more Stugs and dropping the hq down to 1 so that I can field another platoon of 3.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

Super Moderator
    I did order 2 more sprues out, so, when they are assembled I will have;
    Hq. 1 StuG
    Platoon 1. 4 x StuG.
    Platoon 2. 3 x StuH.
    Platoon 3. 3 x StuG.

The PSC Stug are quite good, you get 2 different hull tops, I think representing early and later models but I am not too concerned with that. The Schertzen are a bit of a pain to fit as they have a realistic looking bar and brackets to fit to the body but that does not seem like it would stand up to the rigours of gaming so I trimmed the brackets a bit and glued them directly onto the tracks, which, is maybe not as accurate but a whole lot stronger.

I also went with a sprue of 1 x 250 which the Command Cards allow me to swap with the Mk3 that is the only option for an arti spotter in this book. Nowhere near the armour of the Mk3 but a lot faster and at a penalty to be hit due to the Scout rule.

I also got 3 x 231 sprues to assemble as 233s, the 75mm howitzer option. These will fill out the formaton slots in my recon force quite nicely and give me some decent, if fragile, heavy support. They should really be Pumas but the supplier I use does not break boxes of those and I did not want to have to get 5, and apart from a slightly different body they are pretty close. I have, after just a touch of bad language, assambled 1 and I love it. A great looking vehicle. I had to go online to find an instruction and parts sheet as, like most PSC, it had parts for 4 variants on the sprue, and even looking at that it took some head scratching to work out the rather vague assembly details.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    I have to say I quite like the PSC Stug sprue. It has 2 hull top options, looks to me like a mid and late war version, also a chouce of Pigs Snout mantlet and the more blockier one which is used for the StuG and StuH. The tracks could be better, being 2 sections, top and bottom which fits neatly round the return rollers but the top does not sit very well on the support wheels so if you want the side skirts then it does not matter. Off course if you are a modeller more than gamer you make the etra effort, but I am just ignoring it.

I am not sure what is happening with the late hull as you have the vision cupola with a seperate cupola ring to creat the vision slots but there does not seem to be a top hatch that fits it, in fact an online vid about building one of these shows the guy putting the hatch on the actual hull and leaving the cupola top half just sticking up over it. I will have to see if I can find any images that I can check on.

I have assembled my 233`s and they are, I think, a great looking vehicle, my first thought when I looked at the first one was , shark. The whole build and lines just made me think that. I am glad I just did 1 to start with as I now realise that you need to paint the interior first or you have a quite fiddely job doing it later. The mudguards were a bit of a struggle till I turned it all upside down and they actualy stopped where I wanted them for long enough for the glue to start setting.
    I think I am going to see if the airial frame from the 231/3 box can be adjusted to fit the 250 I have earmarked for my arti spotter just to make him stand out a bit.

Elie Wiesel.