Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There's so much to read here! I just want to say that I noticed my name a few times (josta = Scott), and it's nice to be appreciated. I especially liked "Scott the MussyHair", ha!

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    There's so much to read here! I just want to say that I noticed my name a few times (josta = Scott), and it's nice to be appreciated. I especially liked "Scott the MussyHair", ha!
    LOL, well, you are a prime contributor to the forum, especially in terms of showing us your game, and designs. The hair? ...even I have to admit it’s pretty wild, and way cool!

I think that’s one of the greatest joys for me with providing this forum, is the diverse minds that populate it. I can run down a list of active, contributing members and delight in how different, yet the same we all are. O physically mourn for the Lurkers and what they are missing out on...yes, they a valued in reading what we post, but damn wouldn’t it be amazing to. Have their voices heard. If on of the latter is reading this and I can pull you out of the shadows, please participate because we need your voices.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

WOW, talk about a hotbed of craziness... that whole region is a powder keg. Could make for some outstanding scenarios.

I’ve been thinking about what you’d mentioned (I think you mentioned?) a wondering f not much participation from other than a few of us to this thread: I noted long ago, especially on BoardGameGeek, where people put a very oblique title to their thread (i.e., “A few questions”) — folks that browse topics generally pass these by, as it’s not saying what the thread is actually about (i.e., “LOS questions with armor”). Perhaps you might want to consider editing the thread topic, and using the current topic for the opening line in Post #1? (...just a suggestion )
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Well there have been well over 200 views and your's and Josta's are the only comments. I mentioned JUST the section about Operation Gideon on TWW and have had almost a dozen replies... And no one has addressed any part of my topic.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Well there have been well over 200 views and your's and Josta's are the only comments. I mentioned JUST the section about Operation Gideon on TWW and have had almost a dozen replies... And no one has addressed any part of my topic.
    Yeah, I get it.... I don’t know why more people don’t sign up as members here, but it probably has something to do with our limited options for Spamcountermeasures. If you ever have a discussion with any members of other forums that you recommend come over here to, ask them why they bailed on the process Maybe we can try a fix.

I might only bail due to lack of response. I haven't had any spam issues, unless that is why FB keeps killing my existence after a day. Where I did see lots of spam was the Skirmish Sangin site. I swear 90% of the posts were for Russian viagara! He would get maybe a post per week of real stuff and a few posts per day of spam. He would clean it up about once a week but eventually closed it down a couple weeks ago.

You can ask people to come here but there needs to be content THAT MATCHES THEIR INTERESTS to keep them. I understand you are catering to a wide variety of interests, but I play, or want to find suitable gamers, to play RPGs, board games and miniatures. Part of the issue is we are so fragmented wrt specific games or rules that what you like and post about doesn't appeal to enough gamers. No offense but LnL and ASL don't do it for me. I have ASL from back in the day and tried playing it and Squad Leader since getting back into gaming but find there are too many issues I don't want to live with anymore. It is not like 40 years ago when there were only a couple sets of rules or games to cover certain periods or theatres plus so few wargamers that we would play anything rather than watch another bad TV show. Josta's various world histories got me into trying a couple different rules sets. I even picked up his despite my interest in longer more detailed rules as I wanted to support his efforts. Unfortunately like him I found some of those rules lacking but still follow his game reports as the imagination he displays is so consuming.

Don't know what to say but I will still post the occasional input and maybe the occasional "anybody interested in" thread but the lack of response kinda hits home. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    I might only bail due to lack of response. I haven't had any spam issues, unless that is why FB keeps killing my existence after a day. Where I did see lots of spam was the Skirmish Sangin site. I swear 90% of the posts were for Russian viagara! He would get maybe a post per week of real stuff and a few posts per day of spam. He would clean it up about once a week but eventually closed it down a couple weeks ago.

You can ask people to come here but there needs to be content THAT MATCHES THEIR INTERESTS to keep them. I understand you are catering to a wide variety of interests, but I play, or want to find suitable gamers, to play RPGs, board games and miniatures. Part of the issue is we are so fragmented wrt specific games or rules that what you like and post about doesn't appeal to enough gamers. No offense but LnL and ASL don't do it for me. I have ASL from back in the day and tried playing it and Squad Leader since getting back into gaming but find there are too many issues I don't want to live with anymore. It is not like 40 years ago when there were only a couple sets of rules or games to cover certain periods or theatres plus so few wargamers that we would play anything rather than watch another bad TV show. Josta's various world histories got me into trying a couple different rules sets. I even picked up his despite my interest in longer more detailed rules as I wanted to support his efforts. Unfortunately like him I found some of those rules lacking but still follow his game reports as the imagination he displays is so consuming.

Don't know what to say but I will still post the occasional input and maybe the occasional "anybody interested in" thread but the lack of response kinda hits home. Good luck.
    I hear you, and you kinda fell into the point I was trying to make, with You comment about the Skirmish Sangin site.... ALL forums today, suffer from bots that pollute spam onto any site it can find.... the ‘countermeasures’ that come with all forum software include picture and squiggle word questions high spammers get right by. When I enabled those here, it meant that I and the moderators had to delete hundreds of new posts and threads behind the scenes. That’s simply a LOT of wok for something we don’t get paid to do. Have you ever noticed on many forums, they have thousands of members? They aren’t people that are there for the purpose of the forum...they are spammers whose posts were deleted behind th scenes, but still count in membership count. We went a different way here.... we use Q&A countermeasures....the only way to beat spam. The unfortunate side of that is, modern day humans have the attention span of a twig, and move along after one try to register.

Th sad fact of the matter is, forums are kinda a dinosaur. Social Media killed us. Yeah, there are many out there still, but compared to 10 years ago, decimated.

Here at the DropZone, The Bunker and The Pillbox are meant to cover any miniature or board wargamer you could possibly think of. It’s not that we are fragmented... there are really JUST those two areas that cover everything A to Z. The rest of the forum is specialized to my and the moderators’ interests.

What it comes down to is this: There’s no corporate money backing this site, like BoardGameGeek. I pay my own money, year after year to provide a social outlet for the people that post here. As long as people seem to want this ‘zone’ in their life, and I can afford it. I’ll keep paying the dues. But I can say without a oust that the chances of a bunch of people registering because of one thread is pretty low...as it is for the site. That’s just the sad fact.

I still love to discuss wargaming. I had trouble understanding what this particular thread was supposed to be about, so it was hard to formulate a response. My suggestion would be to make sure your posts are clear to everyone who might come across them, and give them thread titles that people will immediately understand.

I still have no idea what you're smelling! LOL
    Last edited by josta59; 07-24-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12