Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basing question

Basing question

In FOW do most people base their armor models or not? While I am not into WW2 at the moment I have an A7V and a St Chamond nearing completion and would like to know how you good folks feel, pro's and con's.

Super Moderator
    I used to base my Brits. Partly because the old resin and metal ones had such poor glueing surfaces for attatching the metal all in one tracks to the resin body that the stability the base provided was very helpful. Also with allied tanks being a very uniform appearance a base with colour coded rear helps you tell different platoons apart if they get tooclose together. A medium base, 50mm x 32mm fitted my Shermans though you could need a larger base, 65mm x 50mm depending on the size of the tank. Personally I have absolutely no problems if my opponent bases or not.

You can now get laser cut MDF bases on ebay which are good quality and in a lot of cases cheaper and they can come in a lot more sizes than the FOW plastics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-50...pkFDq6To_qgYAw

There are a lot of dealers, if you just type in MDF bases you should find what you want.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

I never base my vehicles or ships... only infantry and artillery.

My reasoning is a purely, an aesthetic thing, where it bothers me to use a summer-land base on winter scenarios and vice versa (I’m weird that way — and many other ways!). The other side of that coin is, I have enough trouble making the damned miniatures themselves (time and effort), let alone add in basing. Yet, I could never just place them on an unfinished base (again, just me), so we’re back to it being too much work for something I won’t be thrilled with in the end. I’m complicated, aren’t I?!?

My FoW and Old Glory miniatures always fit and stay together, for me, anyway so I guess I had good luck there. CA-glue has held up on everything I own thusfar.

I guess I also prefer the look of the tanks on the diorama, on ‘real land’, as well as the ships on the blue felt ‘sea’. ...and even the pre-made Axis & Allies Miniatures (land and sea) look better without bases, to me personally.

Now on my infantry and artillery, I have always been into systems that use man-on-man fighting, so a single soldier is a single soldier — but when I got into FoW, that changed, and I’ll now base those infantry and artillery figures (or models? ...Brits like to call figures, models). The other thing that changed for me was when MAGNA got me int Battlefront:WWII, and I started placing multiple infantry figures on one base...those being my old A&AM stock.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Is this discussion for FoW only or open to basing for WWII units in general?

Super Moderator
    It started as a FOW question but I think it has morphed a bit.

Some of my German vehicals have bases, but while Battlefront were doing the reis/metal kits they did start doing some all in one resin casts (usually trucks/jeeps etc ) with the wheels on the outside of a central column, I`m not explaining this very well am I, with integral bases. Some of my other stuff is the same type of thing by another company.

https://www.forgedinbattle.com/index...product_id=365

They are pretty good casts, and at the time cheaper than the official ones.

To answer Em, I am quite happy with based vehicles as my troops are based anyway so in some ways they do help to unify the army. The bases are not fancy, just a bit of ready mixed filler that I press the tracks into at the back before glueing them down so you can see where the vihicles have been then paint and some flock/static grass.

Also with vehicles like the 234 and 222 the wheels were very prone to breaking off so a base did protect them.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

The usual preface here I almost exclusively work in 6mm.

I am still looking for a set of rules which suit me but my aim is individual vehicles, heavy weapons and weapons crews with infantry based in groups in size from squads down to two man teams such as leaders, support weapons or special teams (snipers for example). Each side,or player's force, will be from a couple platoons with support to a battalion (say a couple companies with battalion support elements) on board. So given that...

All infantry will be "team" based as above. Roughly a quarter for up to a dozen figures for a squad down to a dime for two and three person teams with the intended majority being of four to 8 figures on nickles. I have chosen money as it is magnetic which will make safe transport easier while washers require filling and with limited use of square or rectagonal bases for larger squads or teams. Heavy weapons crews will also be based but not the weapons except for small or delicate ones. The idea is once in action the weapon will be placed on it's gun team's base. I can also see basing small vehicles like motorcycles, cars, Kubelwagens, armoured cars and very small tanks and tankettes. Primarily my intent is to keep very small or vehicles with delicate details protected both on the gaming table and in transit and storage.

Super Moderator
    I used to play Blitz Krieg Commander in 6mm and they definitely need bases. After trying various sizes and styles we all seemed to go for 20mm x 20mm MDF. The uniform size meant that they were easy to store, had room round the miniatures so less chance of damage. I used to glue Fridge Magnet Paper on the back of that to keep them in place. In the UK we have a couple of chains of £1 shops and I got mine there, 2 x sheets of 29cm x 20cm for £1. Most of the other guys went for the 2mm thick mdf but I have short stubby fingers so I went with the 3mm thick.

Elie Wiesel.

Whoa! All kinds of great talk! Em I see what you mean by having a summer base in a winter wonderland. �� And nice to hear from you Frank! And madman ask any kind of basing question you like.

As for my initial question I still don't know which way to go. The resin and metal parts fit well, there were some complaints in some reviews but I didn't encounter any assembly issues. Ah well, it's a day off and I'm heading upstairs to my bunker to ponder! ��

Yeah...super discussion in this thread...great topic!

Thinking more on it, you know, I just love to visualize myself in these tanks and halftracks, and so on. Oddly as it my seem, I go back to Little-Em, in my pre-teens, where I maneuvered my Tonka trucks over sand hills, and GI Joe Jeep through the grass! Major Matt Mason in his Lunar Crawler, scaling an impossibly awkward bolder....

I like to twist and turn my 10, 15, and 28mm vehicles as they turn, or flip them on their side when they hit a mine. Yeah....they’re really a platoon of say 5 tanks, but it still works in my head, my imagination that I am in one. I guess for the #1 Reason, that would be why I don’t base them. I am a very visual person — figured that out long ago, haha.

And that’s further ironic because, I am also an artist, so I could totally get immersed in the basing ‘art’, but it would take away from the ‘experience’ for me. But that’s me — we are all very different people, with different tastes. I totally get the desire to keep the flow of terrain going from infantry stand to M4’s...but then...

I am also picky (some would phrase it, anal) in that, it gos back to limiting the piece to a season...even a weather event. It’s too much for me to process correctly without obsessing over my perceived ‘wrongness’ of it all.

Take that!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Super Moderator
    I am not so bothered about the look of the bases as you Em. We usually play on a basically grass mat most of the time anyway so it is not as much of an issue for me. At the club we don`t usually flip tanks over to show destroyed vehicles, usually using some of the little battery powered tea lights with some of the smoke/flames effect cotton wool that you can get from hobby shops, or there are usually a coiple of pieces in BA vehichle kits.

Elie Wiesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast