Upgrading your White Star Rising - 2nd Edition first print run version

This is my White Star Rising game, 2nd Edition (first print round), from Lock ĎN Load Publishing (LNLP). This has long been one of my top favorite games for at least a decade, and I know it always will be...it is THAT GOOD!

Iíll go over this 2nd Edition in this first post ó again, mine is the first round printing, which had errors, and I will explain in this and subsequent posts how to fix this. Alternatively, if you donít own the game yet and purchase one from LNLP, it will be a corrected version and ready to go!

As a side note: I also own the 1st Edition, and still use that one. My next gaming session with this title will be with the 2nd Edition, so weíll see how I like it!

Being the first printing of the 2nd edition, it has since undergone an overhaul to an upgraded 2nd Edition, which corrected mistakes/errors made in the initial run; some of this, also discovered in subsequent play testing for balance. If you were to buy the game today, you would get this corrected version, ready to go!

...but for the rest of us with a first round printing, this was what was fixed: 22 counters were misprinted (wrong backs), a couple of the player aid cards had minor mistakes; and there is a new v3 Module booklet with scenarios, and A v3 or the rulebook.

LNLP had made these corrected components available in a few different ways:
    1. You can print off the counter corrections and paste them on your current counters; and then print off the new player cards, booklet, and rulebook.
    2. For the counters, you can order replacements, while they last, just paying for shipping (note that there are a couple new counters to go with a bonus scenario provided as a print-off or in the next alternative...
    3. An Upgrade Kit ...So, rather than having to repurchase the entire game, you can just make the needed modifications to what you have, which is a good thing, considering the game costs $75 USD ó but perhaps viewed by some as a bad thing too, as the upgrade kit costs $20 USD ó I hate buying a game twice, even if itís just components, but to me itís better than buying the entire game all over again. I give LNLP a LOT of credit for making the efforts to ensure you have different options to upgrade and fix the errors (more on that later) that were discovered by them ...it represents a continual Quality Control presence within their company, the least of which being, with LNLP having provided the free-to-print counter corrections, it could theoretically cost you nothing to get the game to a very playable state. More on that upgrade kit in the next post!

So as for this first print round, it is perfectly playable as-is ó Iíve looked rough the upgrade kit and yes, itís better, but this version plays well on itís own accord without the corrections (other than the 22 counters).

More on the components contained within the first printing of this 2nd Edition...

Pictured above, you see the Module Rules and Scenarios booklet, which is different than the core rules for the Nations at War system ó that core rulebook covers all of the games in the series (WSR, Stalinís Triumph, and Desert Heat). The Module Rules are for just the WSR module. The module rules booklet is printed on nice paper and comes with a nice array of scenarios. I was a bit surprised to see only two dice come with the game, as you are often rolling twice or more that number ó I mean, how much are dice? But thatís nit-picky on my part ...weíre gamers and typically have no shortage of dice, right!?!

The 2nd Edition game came with a rulebook, but itís the v2 rules...

...Just to be crystal clear, the Upgrade Kit does not contain a v3 rulebook, and you are pointed to the free download to print and/or save to your tablet/computer/phone. The v3 rules likely would have added to the kit costs, so I get it. I prefer the spiral bound rules anyway, so I was OK with this omission.

Why did I buy this new version? The maps! I hated the 1st Edition maps, which were very cartooned in my humble opinion...it always bugged me. And, the promise that the system was upgraded
    Yes, the maps are GORGEOUS in this new re-tooled version of NaW: WSR, and worth the investment just for those alone, in my opinion. They add tremendously to the feel and playability, especially where hey have slightly larger hexes, to accommodate the larger counters!

The maps are in the new retooled-games style used in current Nations at War and World at War, which have more realistic map work topography, and the Ďsilent hexesí (as I call them) that are more defused in being a light color, with non-solid hexlines. The other boon is, the cities were renamed to ones that actually existed, rather than the fake names used in the old 1st Edition (which was a problem with many gamers, with both the WWIII & III games).

The maps arenít mounted like the first games of the series, but rather have heavy card stock maps. I am actually OK with this ó which I am surprised to hear myself say, actually! ...because I love my games with thick, mounted maps!!! These new card stock maps work well straight out of the box, or even better under plexi! On the old 1st edition of the games, the mounted maps werenít like the older-style wargames, anyway (think, Avalon Hill Panzer Blitz or Squad Leader/early Advanced Squad Leader), those old golden oldies were nearly indestructible and almost never warped. No, the 1st Edition maps were produced a little flimsier than those golden oldies companyís, and did warp (mine have, and Iím a stickler for keeping my gear pristine!).

The game comes with very nice player aid cards, as well...

Also included are four counter sheets. The counters are bigger than the original game, with improved graphics. I was originally skeptical about the new graphics, particularly with the use of helmets for Infantry, rather than a NATO symbol ó I felt, why not use a graphic of a soldier or three, but after some time with the game, Iíve come to appreciate the helmets. The printing of the number-factors are a little too small for me, but itís OK...they are readible. I love the artillery graphics. Iím kinda iffy on the administrative counters, but thatís just because I was so used to the old game.

Unfortunately, sheets 2 and 3 came with mis-prints (wrong backs to fronts) and youíll either need to print off free downloads from LNLP and glue them on, or buy replacement counters (paying for shipping only)... or you can also gain them through the Upgrade Kit.

Overall, itís a very nice retool of the game and I like it! Again, I think itís OK as-is, but the Upgrade Kit is a must! Iíll go into that next!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

The Upgrade Kit!

I really do recommend you sink the extra money into the Upgrade Kit.

The inside of the kit has a reprint of the Chaos Table on the right, with an added Clarifications & Corrections section that was not in the first printing, and can come in real handy; and the left side has three nice sections for a Turn Record Track, Casualties section, and a Fate Points and Cards.Counters boxes. I really like this offering and will make play more trackable and playable.

Two other player aid cards hat come in the kit are the Terrain Effects Chart (TEC) and Counter TEC...

Also included is a new Module and Scenario Booklet v3, to replace your original 2nd Edition print version.

Most critical to the kit are the 22 misprinted counter corrections, and I believe a couple new counters; as well as aa Formation Card Deck, which allows you to skip the chit-pull system of pulling formation and other counters from your draw cup ó a a couple mystery cards in a sleeve protector, which I am still trying to figure out!

What the Upgrade Kit doesnít come with is a new, core rulebook! ...which had since been upgraded to the corrected and enhanced v3 rules. You can download the v3 rules for free from LNLPís website, though I think they should have provided the v3 rules in the kit.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

More on the rulebook...

You can buy a spiral-bound version of these, which I actually prefer, especially since it lays flat ó but this will cost you another $40 USD.

How do I fix my first print run with the Upgrade Kit?

Sounds easier than it is, but unfortunately, there are no nifty instructions on how to do this! ...you need to figure it out yourself — but that's what I’m here for!!!

First, see this thread for what counters on the first run printing of the 2nd Edition countersheets you need to pop out and replace...it has the row, column, and numbers! Easier of course, if you haven’t already popped out the dang counters, LOL. I hadn’t yet, so it was a snap, but if you have already punched the counters out previously, I provided pics of the unpunished countersheet fronts in first post of this thread.

Here’s the picture of my counter trees, after I punched the incorrect counters out of countersheets 2 and 3, from my first print run with errors...

TIP: place those in your future Make-Your-Own-Counters stash!
    Next, add in these player aid cards from the first print run version to the ones that come with the Upgrade Kit:

These first run cards are the American and German bi-fold Unit Point Cost Sheets (which have a nice new, Rule Reference on the reverse; and the single card British Unit Point Cost Sheet — with a Player Aid and Turn Track on the reverse)....

And if you’re like me, I don’t like to waste things, and spares for your opponent are always welcome so, I kept the TEC from the first print run and made the three corrections (all on the Movement Column, for Hill, Wooded Hill, and Wrecks, for where you see the plus on “+1” penned in....

...the Chaos Table on the back has no corrections, though as mentioned earlier the upgrade kit versions has Clarifications and Corrections added to the bottom.

I’d add a few more dice to the box, so you have plenty to roll. And the Formation Cards are aa whole different story and will be covered next.

Formation Cards

The Upgrade Kit came with a new Formation Deck, and two additional cards in a sleeve protector. Just to clarify their use, Formation cards eliminate the use of Formation counters in the game — they allow you to not have to pull Formation counters as a chit-draw from a cup...you can use the cards, instead! I love the concept and can’t wait to try it.

The problem I had was, the two additional cards that came in a nice single-card sleeve protector: One was a CCA headquarters card and a CCA sub-headquarters (sHQ) card. The problem was:

1. When I looked at the full deck, it didn’t have a CCA HQ, but seeing it in that 2-card offering in the sleeve protector, I guessed it Provided was to correct its’ omission, and...
    2. The sHQ card in the full card deck was a 7-4-2/1 card, and the 2-card sleeve contained a 7-2-1 card for that same sub-headquarters — now I was totally confused!

What do you use?

I posted on facebook, and caused an unintentional stir, but the company owner, David Heath, provided the following graphic...

Ahhh, this explained all the confusion for me! I have no idea if that was posted somewhere I hadn’t noticed (I don’t think it was), but it cleared my confusion up perfectly!

The CCA sHQ 7-4-2/1 Experimental Card is in that full deck that came in the Upgrade Kit. Now that alone is pretty weird to me...wouldn’t you just have the Standard Card? But the CCA sHQ 7-2-1 Standard Card is in that 2-card sleeve protector so, you can use either one as you see fit. It is nice to have an alternate card to, well, experiment with!

The CCA HQ card wasn’t in that deck... but then saw it was included in that very same 2-card sleeve protector (along with the CCA sHQ 7-2-1 Standard Card), so...

Including both cards from the sleeeve protector to the deck gives you everything you need — you just need to remember their are two different versions of the CCA sHQ!

Now on a totally different subject, I’m trying to verify is there a card between WSR 105 card 4/51st ARM (I think that’s a 5...it’s mighty small print, LOL) and WSR 107 card 73rd REC? If you look at the Upgrade Kit, there’s a missing number between WSR 104 and 107 (I think it’s 106).

I need to figure that out next.