“No Bridge Too Far” - LNLP Nations at War

This is my first playing of the new 2nd Edition of Lock ‘N Load Publishing’s, Nations at War series of games, White Star Rising. This is the tutorial scenario for WSR, but I won’t be following the tutorial guide, but rather just playing the game straight out-of-the-box. I know the game rules good enough to go solo! This will also afford me the opportunity to to concentrate more on the new components-upgrade, through a fairly simple scenario, which is...

“No Bridge Too Far”
    — October, 1944

A German Recon force sent ahead of the main convoy needs to secure a bridge inside the town of Saint-Pierre-la-Rivière. A band of feisty Americans plan on protecting their bridge at all costs. The Germans hope to wipe out any resistance and secure a vital supply line that will be needed to support their forces

The map has the following setup (predetermined in the tutorial example, which I’ll try out)...

The American 1/16th Division have: An HQ platoon, 3 Infantry platoons, a 75mm Gun platoon, and an M4-105 platoon.

The German Auckland. Abt. 4 have: An HQ platoon, 2 Puma platoons, and 2 Half-track platoons.

Length: 6 Turns

Victory Conditions: Germans must capture any one Bridge hex within the town. Any other result is a American Victory.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Turn 1 of 6 - Burning Pussycat

Turn 1 started with an American activation, in which the 76mm ATG opened up on the German Puma platoon in I4 and brewed it up. Germans activate next and move North for an aggressive positioning on the northern perimeter of Saint-Pierre-la-Rivière. I don’t usually go this bold right off he bat, but with just 6 turns and an American M4-105 lurking menacingly about, the Germans aren’t wasting time!

SITREP:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Turn 2 of 6 - Northern Exposure

Germans activate first and the Puma platoon with HQ open up on the American 76mm ATG, At Close Range for a -1 drm on To Hit, and Disrupts and Reduces the ATG; HQ rolls for damage and is also Reduced! The 2 Halftracks unload. Americans activate next and the 76mm ATG battery with HQ Returns fire on the Puma platoon and misses! The M4-105 rolls out to the northern perimeter on the city, west bank of the river.

SITREP:

Turn 3 of 6 - Closing the Gap

The Germans activate first yet again! The Puma platoon with HQ fires again, at reduced range on the reduced 76mm ATG battery and metal shards fly everywhere as the guns disintegrate into shrapnel, killing the HQ platoon (they rolled and failed for their damage effect roll). Thee Armored Infantry open up each, on the American Infantry closest to them, Disrupting and reducing the Infantry with one and missing the coup de gras kill with the other.

Americans activate, but with no HQ leadership now, Command Status rolls were made, with one Good Order Infantry OOC (out of command); all others OK. The M4-1105 opens up on the Puma platoon with HQ and misses. Rear American Infantry moves up to the northern perimeter with the Disrupted unit.

SITREP:

Turn 5 of 6 - The Noose Tightens

The Americans finally get a first shot in... No rally’s, however, so the Disrupted Infantry stays disrupted. Disrupted HQ placed on M4-105. The M4-105 opens up on the German Puma platoon and HQ, and Disrupts the Pumas, but the HQ is OK. Infantry at north of city fires on German Armored Infantry and misses. American Infantry moves up to join M4-105’s.

Germans Rally the Puma platoon, which then fires, with HQ assist on American Disrupted Infantry and Kills. Armored Infantry fires on remaining American Infantry in that previously attacked hex and Disrupts; the other Armored Infantry move in for Assault,Reduces the American Infantry and wipes them out.

SITREP:

Turn 6 of 6 - Endgame

Germans activate. Adjacent Armored Infantry attacks M4-105 and Disrupts. Puma platoon and HQ move onto northern bridge, surviving Opportunity Fire from the Yanks, with other Armored Infantry joining the Puma’s.

Americans try a desperate “try to knock ‘em out’ ploy but fail.

Germans meet Victory Conditions of securing a bridge in Saint-Pierre-la Rivière with a surviving HQ, Puma and Armored Infantry platoon On the bridge, and one at the entrance; with the Americans with their M4-105 and Infantry platoon, with reduced HQ.

SITREP:

This was a squeaker! ...just barely making the VC, with both sides decimated. With so short an amount of turns, it makes the Germans rather desperate. I thought the American M4-105 was fairly well deployed and used, but surprisingly ineffective in the end result....I maybe should have had it up at least one more hex blocking the bridge entrance (didn’t think of that until just now...heat of the battle, you know!). But that could have gone either way, though I doubt the Americans could have rushed the bridge and re-secured it.