Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.

USSR forces for the Eastern front are now coming out, pretty much the way they did in v2 it seems with Bagration forming the first entry

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default....53&art_id=7067

As usual the Soviets look to be a very tough force to play against, the fact that one of the releases is a box of 21....yes, thats right, 21 T34s is very worrying.

I am happy though that the Eastern Front stuff is being released as that means that the German forces should be coming fairly soon and I much preferred their cobbled together force charts to the "everything has its full compliment of everything because it has just been re-fitted" type lists I have for my Germans at the moment.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

�� WOW!!! The large number of T-34’s in one box really caught my attention!

Your last comment in quotes... can you elaborate on that a little more? Are you saying the new sets of armies in the new edition had that kind of full compliment, or the older version of the game? ...just curious.
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Super Moderator
    Yeah, the forces in Grey Wolf were basically 43/44 after some hard combat and battlegroups just snagged what forces they could. If a Panther company was depleted and they found some mk4s wandering around they pressed them into service and just got on with it , and so on.

The forces in the D Day books represent formations that had been refitting for a while and so had a lot more chance of having the full 3/4 platoons of Panthers or Mk4s, and, while you can take an obligatory platoon from any of the other lists you can only do so as support which does not count towards your formation strength when taking morale checks and so on.

That box of T34s shows just how scary it is facing the Russians. Depending on what standard of troops you took you would almost certainly be able to fit them all into a standard size 100 point force with varying amounts of support. An infantry force will be just as over the top, which means that if you take the wrong kind of force against them you will just be steamrollered. Back in 2nd ed it was very often only the scenario that saved me.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

That’s really great information! ...it helps me better understand the differences between systems. To me, FoW is very much along the same lines of Advanced Squad Leader, where the system s just so big, and well, advanced!

To one of your points, I’d never really thought about how scary a Red Horde like that could be...truly, it had to feel overwhelming to see a mass quantity of armor clamoring menacingly your way. I think these aspects are what miniature gaming really brings home to us, is the visual relocating of such things.

Super Moderator
    I can remember back in 2nd ed there was a lot of mini games being played, being nicknamed lunchtime FOW, or something like that with a 400 point list being used instead of the 1500/1750 points for a normal game. There was a campaign being run at Battlefront and I remember the article put up by one of the guys who had gone with a British infantry force, taking, I think,

HQ, 2 stands of infantry.
    Platoon, 8 stands inc Lt, light mortar.
    4 x 6pdr.
    3 x carrier with added HMG/boyes rifle.

They went up against 30, yes 30 T70s.
    HQ, 1 x T70.
    1 x platoon 9 T70.
    2 x platoon 10 T70.

The T70 was no way a good tank but just imagine trying to deal with that lot.

Elie Wiesel.

Holy Tank Treads, Batman! 30? Yikes!!!

I actually, REALLY like the idea of a lunchtime 400 version... any system is extended by out-of-the-box thinking like that. Probably makes the game more accessible to those learning the system, especially in being able to play more games and not getting bogged down in lengthy games that overwhelm the noob.

Super Moderator
    Completely agree. There is just something about seeing a big game set out on a good table but a smaller, couple of units per side game would be easier to pick up the basic rules.

Elie Wiesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Completely agree. There is just something about seeing a big game set out on a good table but a smaller, couple of units per side game would be easier to pick up the basic rules.
    i used to play Panzer Leader with an office mate of mine in my Draftsman days...he was an accounting type. We’d place the board on a file cabinet and play over two or three lunchtimes sometimes, if we couldn’t finish in one session. Played RISK, too, haha!

The more I thInk about it all, small pong games seem to be the perfect answer in getting into a system like this... I think that’s the way I’d like to learn. I think it’s also good for those with small inventory of owned miniatures. I’m not sure what number-point force you can field with one of the starter kits of FoW...I’d be curious on that, but even if you can field close to a high number, I keep coming back to liking the 400.

Super Moderator
    There is a bit of variance between total points for starter boxes, the German starter box comes to , I think, 95 points and the SS one to 85 so it is pretty close to an average force, just leaving you some room for personalisation

https://www.flamesofwar.com/online_s...ategoryID=8262

I can`t seem to find the points cost for the new USSR stuff but usually starter boxes are pretty comparable to each other so 2 boxes would be able to fight without either side getting too much advantage.

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    We are starting to get some force building suggestion out now for the new starter sets.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default....09&art_id=7145

Some VERY nasty armour options listed her, late war Soviet tanks are just brutal.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default....09&art_id=7130

These guys are just horrible to play against. Well motivated infantry with a host of options, and tough with their body armour.

Elie Wiesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast