"The Ranger" - from Interstellar

Well, after something like, maybe 5-years ...my next build!

The Ranger, 1/72 scale, by Mobius

Name:  1.Cover DSC04040.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  51.4 KB

I wanted to reentry at sublight speed, and not take on anything too complicated. I figured this would be a good kit to get me back into building, and regaining confidence with even simple construction. I know it sounds weird but, after such a long time, I feel beyond rusty, and maybe a little trepidatious. I figure it'll come back to me pretty quick -- you know, like riding a bike! But there’s still that hesitation in beginning.

The kit is pretty cool, really.... not only do you get the 1/72 scale model, which is actually, surprisingly BIG... but you also get a 1/144 scale model, docked on the launch vehicle! But as for he 1/72 scale model, it is a static unit on landing gear. Here are the parts, in bags...

Name:  2.Bagged Parts DSC04041.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  49.0 KB

PLANS:

So originally, I was thinking a simple OOB (out of box) build, but have since been thinking of one modification... that being the windows, which are solid plastic, recessed, down into the window frames, and meant to be painted black. That just seems kinda cheesy to me, personally -- so, I am going to cut out the 'glass' (drill, cut, and file) and glue clear plastic inside (under-hull), maybe with a coat of Tamiya Smoke on the underside to darken them up. Painting the interior black should create the proper illusion.

Beyond that, I am thinking of maybe trying the hair spray method for the second time -- this, on the nose and wings' black surfaces, to bring the silver 'metal' to the fore.

Another plan is panel lines... I did a very nice job on a Phantom jet in the past, with a chalk wash. I bought a Ruling Pen to try a method of dropping acrylic wash into the panel lines. See here. We'll see how that works out.

Lastly, a diorama base... I have been meaning to try that out, so I am planning a rocky, desolate black rocky planet surface. I kinda thought of the water planet scene in the movie, but remember, I'm coming in at sublight speed!!!
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

So I took a moment to inspect the top hull tonight, to see what I'm getting myself into, with chopping out the windows ...it's kinda poking the bear, where if I screw it up, it'll be a bit tough to come back from. But after looking it over, I'm going to give it a try

As you can see here, from a full on shot, it's a lot of windows...

Name:  2020-09-17 16.52.37 Canon.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  51.8 KB

Taking a closer look, you can see there's a raised frame for the window panels, with nicely detailed bolts. The tricky part will be the cutting between the drilled holes, more than the actual filing; but the later, the filing, will be delicate as well, in making sure not to grind to far as to mar the frame. I think it'll be worth it, though...I hope!

Name:  2020-09-17 16.52.23 Canon.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  80.4 KB

I just love this spacecraft!

Name:  2020-09-17 16.52.30 Canon.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  97.0 KB

I'll be starting on this shortly...maybe this weekend!

The windows would really make it pop!! Good idea about the smoke to the undersides of the windows and not just painting the interior black. Pretty daunting project.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    The windows would really make it pop!! Good idea about the smoke to the undersides of the windows and not just painting the interior black. Pretty daunting project.
    Thanks

This weekend, I’m going to do an inspection of the Iwata airbrush...she hasn’t been used in several years. Hopefully it doesn’t need oiling, or have a rusted needle or something. I cleaned and stowed it in good shape, but it’s been a long time!

I’m also planning on checking out what I have for clear plastic... I have a couple ideas what might be useable. If so, I’ll cut it to size and try a dry fit... I want to make sure I’d be able to glue it to the interior without any gaps at the window frame; and if that looks good, I’ll try the smoke acrylic on it to be sure that works for a semi-opaque windows look at that point... and if it works, then I’ll start drilling the pilot holes for cutting.

I’ll see how far I get

Got super sidetracked with home projects and being just plain exhausted of late, so no work on the Ranger, but I’m on vacation this week so, I am hopeful of some work on the windows. It’s kinda a freaky proposition, ‘cause after I start drilling, there’s no turning back! With the price of these kits, that’s a scary thing! Still, I think it’s worth the gamble. I really just need to get some forward momentum into building.

As an aside, I’ve been pumped to do some miniatures work, too... in particular, some scenery work on bunkers! ...this for some miniatures games I’d like to do some diorama work for play next Spring.