Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What board wargame are you playing right now?

What board wargame system are you currently playing? Tell us some details about it, why you like it, and maybe some pictures!
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

I am about to begin a game of Bloody Kasserine. I know nothing about it. I have owned it for a few years and it must be played.

Name:  pic18236.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  97.0 KB

Here is another. I will be playing this face to face next week. I have only played it once and very much enjoyed it. I got a really good deal on the game with expansions last year.

Name:  pic1387455.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  99.6 KB

Oooooh, I got Panzer and the expansions not too long ago, too....haven't played it yet but, they look awesome. I'm very interested to hear more on this one in particular!!!

I'm soloing Day of Days on VASSAL. SCS is an easy system to learn, and can lead to some really intense action. I love all things D-Day, and this game really feels like the invasion. Landing all your paratroopers and gliders, bombardments in advance of landing, the push through the bocage - Day of Days has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Oooooh, I got Panzer and the expansions not too long ago, too....haven't played it yet but, they look awesome. I'm very interested to hear more on this one in particular!!!
    It's a fantastic game. Armoured combat is only slightly more complicated than ASL. lol I'll be playing it again later this month. A friend is teaching me bit by bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gocamels View Post
    I'm soloing Day of Days on VASSAL. SCS is an easy system to learn, and can lead to some really intense action. I love all things D-Day, and this game really feels like the invasion. Landing all your paratroopers and gliders, bombardments in advance of landing, the push through the bocage - Day of Days has it all.
    SCS is one of my favourite systems. Simple but detailed in history and OoB. I have a few and have played Bastogne, Yom Kippur, and It Never Snows. I'm hoping to get Command Ops #7 soon with the SCS game in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gocamels View Post
    I saw that on PiF not long ago and it really intrigued me once peeking at the MMP site. I won a copy of "Rock of the Marne", which is part of the SCS system; which, by the way, I was extremely pleased to win, 'cause I've heard so much about both the SCS and OCS systems.

Name:  pic4168831.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  58.6 KB

Fantastic game, from Tiny Battle Publishing. Just loving this game...medium complexity, high solitaire value, and tons of fun! If you liked LNLP's World at War series, this is right up your alley (...not as complex, and doesn't have the chit draw of that system). The map (as mentioned in a thread I have in the Solo Gaming section, by Duncan...and I agreed...) is butt ugly, but that's OK...the gaming by far makes up for it!

Things that I find that make it really interesting in my opinion:
    1. It has an interesting mechanic where Range s determined by color code on a PAC (Player Aid Chart);
    2. It's "I-go, U-go" for the bracketing Fire and Close Assault Phases...but the phase in-between, the Movement Phase is one player moves all their units, and then the opponent;
    3. Rally is simple and efficient, as is combat;
    4. The games uses Mark's great, Step Loss mechanic, where: 1st hit Disrupts, 2nd hut is Step Loss (flip counter over to a reduced side), 3rd hit eliminates. Again, simple and elegant;
    5. Counters are very well done, with great artwork and not a ton of factors to keep track of;
    6. The PAC is great, but does have a typo.

Here's a pic of a game I had just started, middle Turn 2...

Name:  T2 Fire Complete crop.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  87.4 KB

"Desert Heat", Lock 'N Load Publishing

Name:  LNLP Desert Heat.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  93.5 KB

Part of the Nations at War Series, which is in my Top 3 Favorite Systems.

Endless Burning Sand

In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.

Name:  Desert Heat Maps.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  99.6 KB

Desert Heat Second Edition brings all the heat, sand, grit and fluid action of the North African Campaign to you in our second game in the Nations At War series. Desert Heat Second Edition is a platoon-level scale fighting in the desert of North Africa during World War II. All of the tanks, armored vehicles, anti-tank guns, mortars, infantry, air support, and artillery will be at the tip of your fingers.
    The Italians, Germans, and Vichy French will fight against the British, their Commonwealth Allies from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, the Americans and the Free French. The names of many of these battles are well known, but Desert Heat gives you the chance to get down to the details. Mechili, Tobruk, Gazala, Sidi Rezegh, El Alamein, Germans Kasserine Pass, Medjez-el-Bab, Faid, El Guettar, and more. New to the system are obstacles such as Wire and Anti-Tank Ditches. And what would desert combat be without that ever-unpredictable variable: Dust. Itís Panzer IIs, IIIs, and IVs against M3 Lees and M5 Stuarts. Itís M13/40s and L3s against Crusaders, Valentines, and M3 Grants. Itís Armored Infantry in desperate close assaults. Itís ATGs, air support, and mines.

In Desert Heat Second Edition, you will find we designed everything from the ground up, newly designed maps, counters, player aids, scenarios and of course the new Core Rules. We now include a Design Your Own Scenario generator adding hours of battling to your gaming time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast