Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’m ready to try my first play of Boots on the Ground this weekend! I read through the rules, and even though it comes out to about 7 pages of actual rules, I got hung up at the very last section ...on Combat, which totally confused me!

Honestly, the rules leave much to be desired, but they are regardless, pretty straightforward... but I was getting confused with the dice rolling and thinking the target die roll was opportunity fire, which it isn’t! ...it’s just a differential roll: Attacker rolls a die and applies modifiers; Target does the same; and the difference between the dies determines the outcome (combat result).

OK, so got that straightened out!

I punched the counters... OMG, those beggars were difficult to get out of the trees! They have a ton of corner fuzz so, I’ll clip them tomorrow with the corner clipping tool I have. I did scan the counters before punching them out... I am trying to remember to do that! ...great for replacing or expanding your counter mix.

Looked at the map... meh. That’s OK on the map though, as I can see myself drawing up my own anyway. I’ll set up an AAR in the game play!
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”

As an aside here: a couple months past the new year and I’ve only played the one game (Dog Sector) through two scenarios. I’d hoped to have played more games/more scenarios as the month of March hit, but life just gets in the way, including exhaustion from work and the normal run-of-the-day pain’s in the ass things that keep my attention elsewhere, unfortunately away from my hobbies.

This might sound kinda depressing but, I actually feel pretty positive about the direction my hobbies and downtime have taken. I am feeling somewhat more relaxed and generally at easy these days — which is a good thing! I feel like the last few years, especially whacky 2020, have eaten my lunch and left me with acid indigestion! But I’m making extra efforts to stay focused in the fun stuff and enjoy the simple pleasures more. Stay tuned!!!

Haven’t gotten Boots on the Ground on the table yet, but planning to this weekend! I’m not sure how much the game map provided with the game will be enjoyable, as it’s pretty busy (graphics-wise), but this game has TONS of potential for home made maps... and transposing it to miniatures play! As is, and in the jargon I’ve seen Duncan use now and then, it’s a silly little game that borders on Beer & Pretzels, but perhaps actual play will change my perspective on that.

Picket Duty: Kamikaze Attacks against U.S. Destroyers

Picket Duty
    is a game I received as a Christmas present a couple holidays back and have been excited to get into... that is planned for this weekend! I was going to next jump into one of my submarine games, but this one is tugging at me.

Per BGG...

By the time of the invasion of Okinawa in April 1945, the US Navy devised a plan to help ward off the expected kamikaze attacks during the battle for the island. In order to provide an early warning system for impending kamikaze attacks, the US Navy established 16 radar picket stations around the island.

"Picket Duty"
    is a solitaire wargame where you - as the captain of a Fletcher Class destroyer - fend off kamikaze attacks while performing picket duty off Okinawa. The game covers the time period from late March 1945 to late June 1945. Your goal is simple - survive.

The game comes with a basic game, advanced game, six historical scenarios, two hypothetical scenarios, a mini-campaign and a full campaign. Optional rules are also included. Each game turn is divided into three phases, each depicting an eight hour period. Key crew members are depicted with certain functions, as well damage control teams. 27 types of Japanese planes are represented. Some planes have special attack capabilities.

Game features include: Weather - Damage Control - Ammo and Fuel Consumption - Ship Trim and Listing - Land and Ship Radar - Air and Surface Fire Support - Ohka attacks, and more.
    It seems to have a lot of the same flavor I’ve been looking for lately, with following a campaign as a character (Captain of a Fletcher Class Destroyer in WWII) within the game... and it’s solitaire!

it’s got a gorgeous map, though I think it’s a folded, paper sheet type.

The counters look amazing! The rules for normal play appear to be about 19 pages of decent-font text. I’m impressed with the quick peek I did a little earlier. The bottom of the box had a little crush damage on the lower bottom box... I hate that! Like I’d mentioned, it was a present so, I didn’t bother sending it back at the time, and it’s not the worst thing in the world...I’m just a perfectionist when it comes to my obsession with keeping my game gear pristine.

so, some exciting Birthday Weekend gaming!

Looks good skipper! Now get out there and defend the group. Will want a debrief as soon as you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Looks good skipper! Now get out there and defend the group. Will want a debrief as soon as you get back.
    Sure will! I read the rules once through and have a decent grasp on the mechanics, but some of it really needs to have the game setup to fully understand and work out the mechanics so, that will be next... kinda walk slowly through a game. It’s pretty elegant and easy to comprehend... just a lot to it, and a lot of chart referencing and tracking, as would be expected of a solitaire AI. I’m looking forward to it!

I did get The Hunted for my birthday... YAY! Looking forward to getting into that series, but I think I’ll start with the Americans version first.

Boots will be up first, however... was planning to play it on my birthday weekend but, got sidetracked with other things. Fortunately, the rules are short...but they are written poorly in areas and took a bit of time to step away and re-read, and now I think I have a handle on the rough spots.

Onitama

This past, birthday weekend, my wife and I played Onitama.

A two-player game, similar to Chess, the premise is that you’re a Martial Arts Master (you have a larger Master figure), directing your student despises (four smaller pawns) in battle against another Master and his house in the Temple of Onitama.

It’s played on a 5x5 neoprene, roll-up mat, your Master on a middle edge square that is the Temple path way to your side of the temple, and your pawns on either side of you on the board edge. Your opponent is on the other side. Your goal is to either capture the opponent Master, or get your Master to the opponents’ pathway entrance.

You have a deck of cards that comes with the set, and you deal out 5 cards... two I. Front of you and your opponent and one to the right side of the dealer. You choose one of your two active cards for moving one piece of choice... then move that played card to your opponents right side, facing them, while you take the card that was to your right. Pretty simple... you always have one of two moves and a discard that will go to the opponent after their turn.

Deceptively simple in appearance, it’s actually quite challenging!

The components are amazing.... the box has a magnetized lid that folds shut around the box; the pieces fit into a plastic tray, vertically down, and the map rolls into a sidewise length space, with the cards.

The game only costs just shy of $30 USD on Amazon. I bought two expansions that bring more cards to the battle. BIG thumbs up!

Got the counters clipped for Boots on the Ground! Maybe I’ll have time for a playing tomorrow, as we’re home for Easter this year, and no real plans. The more I look at and explore this game, the more I like it! It’s had mixed reviews for some reason. Personally, I think it’s got potential enough just by itself, but is also hugely expandable into miniatures, or just plain old home-ruling with some DYO cards.

I like the looks of the Onitama game. Would look good just sitting on a table the way a nice chess set looks nice just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    I like the looks of the Onitama game. Would look good just sitting on a table the way a nice chess set looks nice just sitting there.
    Totally agree... it’s got an elegant styling. I gotta say too, though, it’s VERY well made...top line design and looks, all the way down to the packaging! Weighty pieces, durable map, quality cards, great (actually, SUPERB] rules writing and presentation, portability, age appropriate across almost all age groups teens to gippers. I love this game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast