Thread: August 1914

August 1914

1/35 resin kit from a Ukrainian manufacturer who's name eludes me. Im not the best figure painter in the world but I like him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think you’re a little too modest in your estimation of your painting skills... that’s some extremely fine work! Faces are that hardest to paint, in my experiences both reading of, and doing, and I love the effect you accomplished. I have a hard time finding that correct foundation vs highlighting blend for warm flesh tones, which I think is a crucial when combined with a bit of dirt from being out in the rough environment.

The uniform is beautifully rendered. I think you found a way to do it that I have a tendency to overdo, which began is the highlighting. The only thing that stopped my eye was the helmet...but I’m not familiar with WWI equipment. I was wondering if a little dark dirt highlights, or damage would make it pop a bit more?

The static grass is ALWAYS phenomenal, Mike. Honestly, I have always admired that most in your miniatures. I would love to see a tutorial on your technique someday, as I really could use some pointers.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

The helmet itself disappointed me right from the start as its to smooth, for want of a better word. The pickelhaube shell was either leather or a felt. In the field this was covered with a cloth covering, this would create wrinkles in the cloth material, this is just smooth as a babies bottom as the saying goes. My carving skills aren't the best so I didn't even try that as everything else was going so well. Most also had their regiments number on the front, I tried finding a numbered decal I could use but none looked right, to large or to small.

My ground work is pretty basic, the base is the cap off a bottle of Gatorade that I rough up with sandpaper or score with an exacto to give the celluclay something extra to grab on to. Put down the celluclay then paint dark brown and then drybrush with progressively lighter shades of the base color. Then just drops of white glue randomly put down, then I really put down more then enough static grass, think almost to his knees. Then instead of just pouring off the excess I press the grass more into the glue with my fingertip so it really gets a good covering, then tip the base tap off the excess, this also stands some of the grass up. I actually enjoy basing my figure kits and minis.

I grew up with the old Monogram kits with the inserts by Shep Paine which led to buying his books, anyway Shep said about groundwork and basing something along the lines of "While a poorly done base can make an excellent model look mediocre, a well executed base can make a mediocre model look great."

Nice work... looks awesome. I agree with Shep, BTW

An interesting experiment for the helmet issue might be to thin down a little sparkle, and dab it on with your thumb and index finger in a light layer and use a toothpick to scrape off most, leaving just a few ‘cloth’ folds?
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Nice work... looks awesome. I agree with Shep, BTW

An interesting experiment for the helmet issue might be to thin down a little sparkle, and dab it on with your thumb and index finger in a light layer and use a toothpick to scrape off most, leaving just a few ‘cloth’ folds?
    An interesting idea. Will try that next time.