Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/72

1/72

Almost forgot I had these. Ran across them last night in an old cigar box. I must have been out of DullCote as the French are still glossy.

German figures are Zvevda and a couple Airfix, French are Hat. Building ruins are Italeri.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

WOW...those are neat! Love the structures, too. Yes, the French are sweaty looking, haha... need some weathering, too perhaps? 1/72 scale for miniatures gaming reminds me instantly of MAGNA! ...I wonder how he’s doing? Haven’t heard from him in a long time.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

I could never get into miniatures. A friend of mine keeps dragging me to a miniatures club (pre-pandemic) and the president of the club comes over to my place to play sometimes. So I accept their invitations and really enjoy the company. The games - meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I could never get into miniatures. A friend of mine keeps dragging me to a miniatures club (pre-pandemic) and the president of the club comes over to my place to play sometimes. So I accept their invitations and really enjoy the company. The games - meh.
    Hex and counter will probably always be my main "go to" for wargaming but miniatures provide a nice break and a better visual of the battle going on, at least imo. Plus I enjoy painting the figures and making the scenery. And from others I have listened to I don't think your way of thinking is unique, there seems to be a pretty distinct line drawn between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Miniatures is definitely an acquired taste, as is war-boardgaming... but you’re actually missing out on a LOT in not making a concerted effort to give miniature gaming a solid try (through several games). The ‘lot’ is the visual immersion and experience you get from minis. The rule sets can be every bit on par with the complexity of ASL, for instance, so it’s definitely in the same class as a allied hobby. But, miniature gaming is in ways, a much slower paced play, versus hex and counter boardgames... whereas you can just push a stack of counters a few hexes distance, there is much more effort and calculation in pushing tin. I could talk all night on the subject, but I’ll be kind and stop here, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Hex and counter will probably always be my main "go to" for wargaming but miniatures provide a nice break and a better visual of the battle going on, at least imo. Plus I enjoy painting the figures and making the scenery. And from others I have listened to I don't think your way of thinking is unique, there seems to be a pretty distinct line drawn between the two.
    Board and miniatures wargaming are indeed, two specific and distinct groups, but with tons of commonality; and it’s that latter element that keeps so many gamers involved in both. I totally agree with your statement that it gives a “...better visual of the battle going on”....that’s precisely what drew me into miniatures gaming in the first place. A chit with a Tiger tank on it is good, but a resin miniature, with swivel turret, in all it’s badassness cannot be beat! With a board game, it’s mostly all cerebral... yeah, there’s visual pleasure there as well, but your brain has to imagine the Tiger in 3D... whereas a miniature shows you it in all its glory. There is of course, the cerebral aspect to playing a miniatures system, but it’s all about the visual eye candy.

Also, what you say about the building and painting/weathering of the miniatures is spot on. With a board game, the counters are the counters...the most you are going to do is clip the corners, haha. But there’s a pride to assembling the miniature...and more so in painting it, which requires at least a basic requirement of researching the camo and components. And the diorama! ...my God, that’s amazing in even the smallest campy detail, but sheer orgasmic in creating a scenery that looks just like the real thing. In boardgaming you have the mao that comes with the game, unless you design your own.

I started with boardgaming... abs later, got into miniatures and said the same thing as you, Mike (the go-to statement)...but these days, I would classify myself as a playing mostly board games, but my interest and lassis split 50/50 between both (at least my inventory tells me so!).

I started out building models before I was 10. Lots of 1/48 Monogram aircraft, some 1/32 European car kits and lots of 1/25 car kits. When I was a kid I could walk to the local K-Mart and get a car kit for $1.44. They all looked like hell but I was hooked. Still a pre teen and it was monogram 1/32 tanks, etc. and a Revell 1/96 USS Constitution. That was the first kit I paid attention to. Painting was not my forte but I rigged it all up perfectly. Threw the sails away as I couldn't make them work (thin vac form things).

Anyways the tanks got me interested in military stuff and the planes military aircraft. Fast forward a couple years and I found Micro Armour, 1/285 GHQ miniatures and Tractics rules set. A year later and Battleline release the original Wooden Ships & Iron Men. Nearly wore both the board game and the paint off the minis but I still have all the game stuff. That is how I started 48 years ago. Both wargames and miniatures. Still love both and added role playing games and lots of Board Games. Don't care if it is pushing lead, plastic, cardboard or all the above. Most gamers I know play everything. Those who dabble in only one format is rare in my experience. I don't think less of them and trying to "teach them the error of their ways" is usually irrational. They like what they like. Same as some gamers never leave a specific period or genre. They may play various types of games, rules and RPGs but all are based on one theme. More power to them. If you tried other formats but found them lacking so be it. Often times I think it is the rules, scenario or often the person trying to coerce you but something puts you off. Maybe in a few years or decades there might be something or someone who catches you in the right mood to try a different approach. I am into pretty detailed rules but even I have my limits. Or some aspect of the mechanics of a game turn you off. Don't worry but don't shut everything else out. Something may catch your eye down the road, or not. It's all fun gaming.

Micro Armor minis are awesome! I’ve collected a decent starter amount that all need love... still as is from the factory. Good hint in using the Tactics rules... I’ll have to look for those...I bought GHQ’s rules but haven’t look them over yet.

Sorry Mike! ...OK, back to your thread topic, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that gaming in 1/72 scale is something I always marvel at! ...the size.

The rules are Tractics, and frankly they are showing their age. What period are you into? I can give some advice but it will be 20 questions to thin the options down.

As for micro armour I have done a lot of thinning out lately but added infantry. They need to based but I am trying to find my "ideal" set(s) of rules and will base to suit. I probably have between 5000 and 8000 tanks, guns, vehicles and about the same number of infantry, infantry weapons, etc.. Probably 80% to 90% are painted. I also have maybe 100 to 200 of each, modern (Korea to cold war) micro armour aircraft and about as many helicopters, WWII and WWI aircraft.

Opps. Way off topic, sorry. Great minis. Any that get played make them perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Opps. Way off topic, sorry. Great minis. Any that get played make them perfect!
    No problem guys, lets just ride where the road takes us with this one! I have dabbled in 6mm and even 3mm. For 6mm they are GHQ WW2, I have Tigers, Shermans, Panthers and Panzer IV's. US, German and French infantry along with the original rules I found on Amazon. Pico Armor for my 3mm WW1. Interesting for large battles but just a tad to small, the 3mm that is.

I also started out with Monogram planes and armor kits, I would just drool over the Shep Paine how to pamphlets that came in the box. Another favorite maker of mine was Bandai's 1/48 scale armor kits. Very nice for the times with figures and partial interiors. I still have one of those in the stash.

Which rules for WW2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast