Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Interesting how things photograph. My drop cloth is darker than the first picture. The second looks about right. I also spray painted irregular blotches of gray, green, tan and black all over it (maybe 2/3 of the surface is painted) and you can't see any of that in the photos. In real life you have to look very closely to see the hexes. Just there for guidance for honest players. The other side (with lots of paint bleed through) has white hexes. I wonder how that would photograph. I use (used?) it for players I wanted to keep and eye on!

Just remembered another thing I was gong to input into this game, also from Battlespace. Regular units had to roll to activate before they could do anything that game turn. If they failed that roll, not interruptions, then a SitRep card was to be drawn. Then the regular unit would get ONE action instead of the usual two (not written that way but the effects are the same). That would mean, potentially fewer actions for regulars but also a few less SitRep cards DURING the game turn.

On your game picture, are the flipped over white caps with figures cover or movement trays? Nice layout by the way. And I can see why you always type out Battlespace.

They are Hot Spots, the areas where insurgent forces start from and reinforcements appear. Think Jump off Points in Chain of Command, except insurgents only. I hope to make something better looking in the future, but that is what I had. Same for the flipped over cars. Need to make damaged ones as scatter terrain or cover.

Thank you. Now that I have some buildings I am getting off my but and putting more effort in. I can't see making fixed boards, one of my original thoughts, as based on things I have read they are a pain to store (size and delicate wise).
    Last edited by madman; 04-06-2021 at 01:00 PM.

So I ironed all my old felt. Just so it will lay flat(er) than in the pictures. Sitting folded and jammed in a box for three decades I do not know if it will eventually get flatish and stay or not. We shall see. I used medium heat, as high didn't seem to make any difference. I added water for the second batch, which was almost all of it as I only did the roads in the picture first time, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Thank you. Now that I have some buildings I am getting off my but and putting more effort in. I can't see making fixed boards, one of my original thoughts, as based on things I have read they are a pain to store (size and delicate wise).
    You're welcome. And you do get a little more motivated when things start to come together.

Well I have had a week to ruminate and talked the game over with my son. He wasn't impressed with the Ambush Alley rules, even with my mods, as he felt it was too easy. The regulars are too good and the irregulars can never ambush the troops. It is called AMBUSH Alley anyways! Good point. So at this time I am going to run another game of Battlespace, as written, for me and maybe him. Remind myself how good it is, as it has been a few months now, and see if his and my "concerns" are covered by these rules.

Then more soul searching. Does Battlespace need more detail? Will it take it or ruin it? I know AA can handle the extra stuff but...

Then it comes to can AA get more random and deadly or use the other system. And what about upping the figure count to a platoon of regulars which is my goal. Can either set sustain that as written. AA! is still written for a squad or two (scenarios) while FoF can handle that size. Remember AA/FoF uses fire team size units but attack and morale rolls are made by individuals. In Battlespace everything is done as individuals. Playing a platoon may either take too much time or be unplayable. Come to think of it I don't remember Battlespace dealing with morale. Need to read it again.

So where I like simpler rule systems you like to see how far you can push a set of rules until they break?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    So where I like simpler rule systems you like to see how far you can push a set of rules until they break?
    Not sure I agree with you. I don't like a set of rules where you keep coming up with "it isn't covered, quick make up a rule fast", or worse yet the game turns you off because something obvious, like troops in a buildings (in Stalingrad) for instance, just aren't covered. I don't want to play every rule every game, just want it to be there, or nearly so, when I do play. Having said that there is a line between way too inclusive and pretty much covers the usual things. For an example of the former just look at the sequence of play for ASL!

In this case Ambush Alley! misses a few things. Lots of them are included in Force on Force which I hope to "graduate" to, but there are still areas not covered, or glossed over. If curious see my additions to both AA and FoF in thewargameswebsite discussion forum for Ambush Alley games. Areas which were missed(?) or not considered. I also have a lot of sympathy for designers who forget something, especially if the base game mechanics are really good. I have been in the hobby since the early '70s and have a pretty good idea of my likes and dislikes but am always surprised by some of the new ideas or concepts. Just as I have been disappointed by some games which, although fairly recent, feel like they were written in the '60s or '70s and totally ignore the valuable ideas which have been incorporated in games since then.

I did say long winded didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    ....I also used my decades old drop cloth (with 2" iron on black hexes if you can see them), and same age felt for the roads. I have to iron all my felt out to flatten them (open to suggested temperature values, I assume it is cotton or some kind of polyester???) so they don't stick up at odd angles
    It really depends on the type of felt, and the mixture of felt to poly vs all felt. See this article for the best advice I’d found and follow.

Nice collection of HO buildings, by the way! Now, we need to teach you airbrushing so you can weather them! ...though they are fine as is...I just like as much realism as I can get.

And interesting thread... thank you for all the time you’re putting into it. Please keep it coming!
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast