Thread: India Ink Wash

India Ink Wash

Iíve heard of this, but never looked into how it works. I saw it in a video tutorial on YouTube, for scenery, and the modeler uses...

1 teaspoon if India ink to a pint of 70% isopropyl alcohol. He dabbed it on with a foam brush (which goes on extremely dark) and letís dry to a beautiful faded look! Dry brushing enhancing colors afterwards lends remarkable results!
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

I'm forgetting all these tricks. I used to do it with mixed results. My finishing dull coats made it run.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I'm forgetting all these tricks. I used to do it with mixed results. My finishing dull coats made it run.
    What did you use for the finishing dull coats...brush or airbrush, or can spray? I think the only way to get positive results would be a airbrush application. The other thing I would be cautious of is a dull coat product, which I believe has a lot of chemicals in them, which could react with the ink or isopropyl. I like using a home brewed dull coat solution or either Future acrylic based, or diluted white glue based (though this can get sketchy in the latter).

Testors Dull Coat is exactly what I use mostly. Sometimes Tamiya. I have learned to use very little because it often reacts badly with the paint.

Testors Dull Coat is exactly what I use mostly. Sometimes Tamiya. I have learned to use very little because it often reacts badly with the paint.
    I tried Testor’s before and it worked well enough for me, but I hated the chemicals used in it...plus my wife is chemical intolerant so, I must always exercise caution there. I just use the Future concoction.

Future is gloss though. Great for dipping cockpits in to get rid of scratches and such.

Future is gloss though. Great for dipping cockpits in to get rid of scratches and such.
    Yes, Future is definitely gloss! I love it right out of the bottle for placing decals for instance. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, if you mix 1 part Tamiya Flat Base to 3 parts Future, you’ll get a very flat dull coat! ...all acrylic, people...if you accidentally inhale that stuff, you’ll still live!

Great point on the cockpit *glass*...dipping the clear plastic cockpit canopie in Furture, and placing it (on edge) on your cutting mat will give you a glass-look. The Future will look way too wet when dipped, but it condenses down in drying. Brilliant look and makes aircraft pop!