ASLSK CoW Sept 1, 1939 - Danzig

Time to start up my solitaire Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit chronology of war again. I'm playing solitaire but feel free to ask questions or contribute in any way you like.

DANZIG, POLAND, 1 SEPTEMBER 1939
    POLISH FORCES: Ex-Polish Army Reserve Officers
    AXIS FORCES: Danzig Police and SS Danzig Home Defense

German objective is to capture the Gdansk post office and lose no more than six squads (or equivalents) at the end of five turns.

The set up! The map is larger than this, but this shot shows all the units currently in play.
    Name:  S52001.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  58.6 KB

Here is a YouTube clip from the battle.
    Last edited by Duncan; 12-10-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Interesting situation. Looks like it's going to be a meat grinder. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by gocamels View Post
    Interesting situation. Looks like it's going to be a meat grinder. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
    Historically the German troops ended up filling the basement with gasoline after unsuccessfully assaulting the post office. The postal workers were arrested and executed using the excuse that they were un-uniformed combatants.

End of Axis turn #1.
    The 75mm guns failed to do more than pin an LMG position. I have concentrated my police troops in buildings and others are following behind the Styer ADGZ. Hopefully this will provide enough cover to survive a round of fire and then the 75mm will have another shot at doing some damage.

Name:  S52002.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  61.2 KB

Check out the funkly breach of the lelg 18,

End of Polish Turn #1
    Heavy fire going both ways across the street. The Germans and the Polish are forced to withdraw broken units to safety. The Polish are able to quickly reorganize and fill the gap.
    Broken units are inside the red outlined areas.

Name:  S52003.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  51.6 KB

End of Axis Turn #2

• SS guns and MG have blasted the North end of the Post Office.
    • An SS squad and a Police squad have entered the Post Office and an adjacent building. They are the blue outlines.
    • Squads from both sides have been broken in the initial fighting and retreated to safe areas in hopes of rallying. They are the red outlines.

Name:  S52004.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.8 KB

The Axis troops may soon be in for a surprise though.
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  39.3 KB
    Last edited by Duncan; 07-16-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Going to give this thing a restart and apply myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Going to give this thing a restart and apply myself.
    Good to hear....I am curious to see this one play out!

As an aside for no particular reason at all: I am making one of my 2019 New Years' Resolutions, a re-entry back into ASLSK1, and possibly into SK2 and 3 by the end of the year. For me these days, that's ambitious!!!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Very cool. I have far too many games and need to clear some out. I'm sticking to systems (SCS, OCS, ASL, Etc...) to make learning different games easier. I need time for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Very cool. I have far too many games and need to clear some out. I'm sticking to systems (SCS, OCS, ASL, Etc...) to make learning different games easier. I need time for other things.

ASL is such a cool system, really....I cannot not get into it, based on my likes. Now one cool thing I've been thinking about since yesterday, on the system is the maps: I think I can use them with the Platoon Commander system (like my Sticks & Stones game currently on the desk)! I did get the first map bundle last year, so I have a ton of maps to play out scenarios to be made. I'm pretty psyched about that!

And I hear you on the culling...I have too many wargames, collected since at least the early 1980's, and so many I know just won't get any playtime, if I am honest. Back then, if the cover looked great and the back-box writeup was good, I bought them. They were so cheap back then compared to today (though at the time, was still a luxury splurge for what I was making). Considering I'd like to downsize in dwelling size when I retire in a few years, in another State, I have to do some honest thinking on getting rid of a portion or the collection. The good news is, what I can get for many is significantly more than I paid!

But what really resonated with me on your post was, learning different game. I've over-extended my brain on learning way too many systems and forgetting them the further deep I get. I can muddle through the earlier learned one that didn't get much play time, but find myself diving back in the rules as a refresher. Basically, too many game systems played...but overall, not a bad problem to have!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.