Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That is the rub. As written the unit has to end in LOS. In almost all rules I know of the target just has to be in LOS at some point during it's movement. With most the target is returned to the point it is in LOS, attacks are resolved and the unit, or parts thereof, may continue movement if it has surviving forces which are not pinned or dead or wounded and not capable of movement. This also allows the moving unit to choose to finish it's movement elsewhere.

As written fire is only conducted against the unit after it moves so it functionally is not opportunity fire but can be considered regular fire. Some older or simpler rules had no opportunity fire, sometimes referred to as interruptions such as in Force on Force, all fire was conducted after movement.

Sorry it is not semantics but what I said earlier about not interpreting rules using another game system in one's mind or thinking the rules cover something which they don't. Not trying to be offensive just making sure we are on the same page wrt game mechanics. I don't care what you call it if a unit cannot be targeted until it has finished its move and is at that point still in LOS of a firing unit then there is no reason to position any unit so it can be fired upon during your enemy's movement. If you move second then pop out, or close then shoot.

Now I get it. You're right, of course. I designed it that way for simplicity. I called it opportunity fire because it can disrupt the active player's turn. But each firer has only half a chance of successful opportunity fire.

However, there is certainly a reason to risk ending your movement in LoS. There's no way to move and then fire at your enemies if you don't end your move in LoS. You have to risk getting hit by opportunity fire if you want to complete your mission. Just like in real life.

Going back to the "I go you go" thought, there's actually less sitting around and waiting in Aw Frik vs No End in Sight. With NEiS, if you roll a 6 for activation and have no stress, even if your squad is not in contact, you can have six guys doing different things, and I know from experience that can take some time. If you have two of them conduct an assault move, and only one of them gets into hand-to-hand combat, that's already two very different things. Yes, they'll take reaction fire, but they typically would in Aw Frik, too. And then you could have the other four guys firing at four different targets, with potentially very different results that lead to die rolls on separate tables and all sorts of accounting.

With Aw Frik, you can only activate up to three of your soldiers in a single turn, and usually less. There are no extra rules for assault fire, hand-to-hand combat, or retreating due to opportunity fire. I left all that up to the players, giving them a little more control and more choices about which guys they should activate. All attacks use one table for the results, including attacks by or against vehicles. The only complications are when an explosive weapon goes off or when a vehicle is hit with soldiers inside. There's nothing else to remember. So turns go very fast, and there won't be much sitting around and waiting, especially with all the opportunity fire rolls that happen. Both players are very involved for the entire game.

I am going to have to pass on this for me. I like more detail in my games (unless my description of my work on Striker didn't convince you) and I find I go You go has been superseded by better mechanics. I can see your point of three units only would probably match what the real world results of a game system LIKE NEiS or Chain of Command may produce. I prefer the chance of activating everyone even if some don't.

I also have issues with your handling of leaders and opportunity fire. I feel you need to have some definition of leader to help guide players or scenario writers. Opportunity fire should occur during movement.

I wish you luck and will be watching your replay of Juba 1 to see if I am wrong. I will also follow any other AARs you post using these rules as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12