Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build Log for Trenches, Minds, and Nests

Modeler Sean P.K (FoW) did some amazing work with this! In his own words....

I set about trying to create some coastal defences that like all of my previous terrain pieces could in theory be generic enough to be used anywhere. I also through this process seem to have the basics for a Fortress company which is a happy addition to a terrain project!

WIRES and MINES:

My main inspiration for these were the lovely ones already available from battelfront - they are stunning and if i had the money and a little more patience, I would have certainly gone for those options. But instead I decided to try my hand at making my own.

Firstly all the required sizes are available in the Rule book - so 8" x 2" per section. So firstly I cut out a piece of mount board that exact size and one a bit smaller on all sides so that it would sit inside the first piece.

I glued these together and then using my filler left over from my board sections slapped it all over creating smoothed edges with a slightly uneven surface all over. At this point I added had the difficult design issue that everyone that has made a minefield would have - how you make a minefield look interesting and like a minefield - as a minefield looks like a patch of ground. So I settled on the approach of putting a few posts (made from match sticks) around the edges and to create a few exploded craters to add character I used my sons toy figure thing to achieve this but any spherical object such as a large marble would work fine.

"There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

I also then textured with sand over all of the bases whilst at the same time making lots of little X's to hold the wire in place out of matchsticks. I cannot stress enough the importance of having a stand of men on hand to constantly keep refering to scale for - as when I had made all of my X's, I noticed that they were too big and so using my 101st as a guide, clipped them all down to size.

Then came the fun part of texturing the bases. I use the same colours for everything ground related to give consistancy - basically a dark brown heavy drybrush onto black - a mid beige brown drybrush and then a beige light drybrush. In between I also made the wire itself. I used 1mm thick wire which given the choice I would definately say to use .5mm wire if you can get it (unfortunately all retailers in my area were out and this was rather cheap too). To coil it i just wrapped it repeatedly around the shaft of a screw driver to create an even spring. Once complete manually seperate bits and make it uneven in places to create more realism in it. I would also say that I had to have 2 goes at doing this as the silver coils (pictured) I felt were too thinly coiled, whereas the ones I used on my final image felt and looked (in my opinion more true to a defense position).

I grassed the bases before attaching the wire, and also painted the wire roughly black, so that when I did attach it to the bases I could lightly tarnish it silver to create a more weathered look. I also added a little sign to a post on each of the minefields saying 'Achtung! with a skull and crossbones - as to me, thats what all minefields have.

Nests

Again with these I love the minatures that battlefront has made, and this has been purely a money saving creation, so I have used the existing minatures as a guide really. The first step was to create the wooden pallisade at the front - for this I used cut down cocktail sticks glued to a base of cardboard cut to the size of a medium base. One thing that I did have to invent was an entrance way (not being able to see clearly on the images of the nests in the rule book) - So I figured a rear entrance would be needed and then only a tunnel would do, so i created one from match sticks. I then used the actual match box itself and cut off the corner and shortned it to provide a roof and well in the center of the model.

Using my increasingly favourite medium - all purpose filler, I covered the model creating the look look of an earth bank. I used more cut down cocktail sticks to create the log roof structure and then covered all of the filler in sand to create the same ground texture I have been using on all of my models.

All that was left to do was colour and grass the nests.

Trenches

Now I asked on the forums why trenches are represented by a single wall and does this represent the effect of them in game - But it just seems that there are no real alternatives for trenches currently available - perhaps due to the size of the medium base in relation to realism etc... But in my head a trench is a trench. It has two sides, is muddy, has slatted wooden walls etc... So I set about building my own set.

The rule book depicts them as 8" sections that you can buy. Well thats awesome just lots of 8" rectangles - BUT with my slight historical knowledge I know that trenches were not built straight - a fact represented in the rules to cover this - so a zig zag sort of look would have to work. After toying around on paper with a medium base I came up with a working design for both a straight trench section (looking more like: -I_I- ) and a gun nest which joins into the trench network. I later designed 2 x corner sections and 2 x T junctions to boost the set further and allow a varied deployment of it.

I stated by using my good old favourite all purpose filler onto a cardboard base to build up the walls. Using a trowel I formed slopes on the outer side and used matchsticks on the inner slightly banked outward (usually stacked about 5 high).

I then added verticle supports with cocktail sticks and duckboarding planks onto the ground in places. By pushing the sticks into the filler it created a very organic looking wall where the planks were almost enveloped in places and in others expressed from the walls themselves - just the look I was going for.

I textured all of the non matchstick surfaces with sand, painted black and began to paint.

I started with my usual terrain painting method by a heavy drybrush of VALLEJO Flat Brown, followed by lighter ones of Game Colour Earth and CITDEL screaming Skull. This gave me the 'dirt' look the same as on my boards and other terrain.

The wood was achieved by a heavy drybrush of VALLEJO Panzer aces Flat Earth, then a lighter drybrush of the same with 50% BEIGE added. Finally I flocked the lower sides of the pieces and all was completed.

I was actually really surprised (in a good way) how these turned out. I was not expecting to actually achieve the look I initially set out to get, but I feel I did that - I also had the added bonus due to the organic process of matchsticks and filler that each piece is unique, walls have given way and floors are uneven. Anyway above all else it is a lovely addition to bind all of the other defensive elements together on the board.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, and please try and make some things yourselves - It is unbelievably rewarding I can assure you!

Finished work

All of the parts in use upon my beach board)

Another good tutorial, especially like the "nests". Neat how he just cut up the matchbook, flipped it over and made the cover for them. I also enjoy figuring out how to make this or make it work with junk I have laying around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast