Mounted Mapboards

Times are tight, and have been for awhile now, so I can certainly understand many game manufactures wishing to cut overhead by printing their mapboards on paper and heavy cardstock...and some do a nice job with this. But, on the hex and counter-type games I'm speaking of, I prefer when the mapboards are mounted on folding boards or solid one piece dense-cardboard boards.

What I hate about the paper maps is, they are too easily damaged, or outright destroyed with a carless beer glass or pissed off cat. Yeah, you can place them under clear plexi, but that's it's own trouble with storage and scratching.

I am more apt to buy a game where the maps are mounted, and specifically when done in the best method of finished edges.

So weigh in here folks...what do you think?

More and more of the games I am buying have paper or heavy cardstock maps. I get it...the cost of mounting mapboards is expensive. Still, of the two, I'm not sure which is better: The cardstock can be difficult to lay flat, yet the paper damages so much easier. I am finding myself keeping plexiglass a must-own component to my wargaming.
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Mounted maps are the way to go, I think Breakout Normandy was the last game I bought that way though. I do remember in the beginning being a bit leery of the durability of paper maps for all the above mentioned reasons.

I played on paper maps for years without Plexi and the constant struggle with map folds and those little hills you can never quite get to lay flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Mounted maps are the way to go, I think Breakout Normandy was the last game I bought that way though. I do remember in the beginning being a bit leery of the durability of paper maps for all the above mentioned reasons.

Breakout Normandy is still one of my "Wanna Get" games!

Yeah, I have to say that whenever I open one of my older games, especially the Avalon Hill ones, the mapboards are still in supreme shape....no warping. That's impressive, really.

Yet, I have some boards that were printed on solid hardback cardstock (like Conflict of Heroes, by Academy Games) that HAVE some warping; near as I can tell, mainly it's the construction method, as the newer versions appear to have a different printing method directly on the surface? ...vs. boards like Avalon Hill, that appear to have printed paper glued to the backer board? Not really sure, really, but it follows the premise I see in so many things that things were built better to last in days gone by, than today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    I played on paper maps for years without Plexi and the constant struggle with map folds and those little hills you can never quite get to lay flat.
    Also, the problem with those little hills of paper is that over time of folding and unfolding, and the scraping of the cardboard counters over them as we move units, causes degradation of the paper; small rips and roughing of the paper surface.
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

The Avalanche Press game They Shall Not Pass, on the battle of Verdun has a paper map that is almost brittle. The creases have almost started to open up. I'm afraid I may have to resort to taping it together.