CALL FOR PLAYERS: Sticks & Stones (Platoon Level Combat in WW IV)

Name:  pic4168831.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  58.6 KB

I think this is doable as a game to Play by Forum, even though it is partially (extremely, partially) card driven in play.

See here for more information (the traditional logistics thread in the new Players Center), including rules and aid cards.

Cool modern warfare game, which I am currently learning myself and about to play on Christmas vacation.

Anyone interested in being Playahhhs?
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

I'm not sure how this will work on a game here, as the mechanics are a bit difficult to transcribe, but I'd like to give it a try, if we can get two players to volunteer to give'er a go!

Just bought the game recently, and had a solitaire game in the Non-Forum Wargames section. You can check out that game here, for an example of play. I tried to put in guidance as I played.

Rules and Player's Aid Cards can be found here

Read the rules once through and have a rudimentary understanding.

The scenario t be played is called , Aboriginal, looks to be a real challenge for the Americans!

Elements of the 17th Soviet Tank Regiment assault Team Echo; Goal, to secure the Gersbeck Bridge, spanning hexes I11/H10. A tactical Victory for the Soviets is to Control (being in or the last unit to be in any Control hexes) all town/city hexes east of the North/South river. An Overwhelming Victory would also include the H10 city hex across the river at the far end of the bridge.

7 Turns

American setup is anywhere between Rows "A" and "P", in Hexes > 6 (which basically means, the lower half of the map.

• 2x Abrams
    • 1x M901
    • 1x Infantry
    • 1x Dragon
    • 1x M113

Soviets come in from the East side (right side) of the map from off-board.

• 10x T-72's

This isn't going to be pretty!

This is an example of an initial setup (playing area shown, everything non-playable is highlighted)....

Name:  WDZ Game 1, Sticks and StonesMap START.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  89.5 KB

Of course, the American player will get to choose how he or she wants to setup their units....I showed them on the map above simply as an example so you can see the units; Soviets are lined up on the right side, and will enter the board on that edge.

Who wants to play?

Oh man, I missed this thread. I'm totally down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Oh man, I missed this thread. I'm totally down for this.
    Haven't had any challengers pop inso, how about we go at it together? What side would you like?

Last time you and I played NATO vs Warsaw Pact, I played NATO and was easily annihilated. Let's see if I do better as the Soviets.

Last time you and I played NATO vs Warsaw Pact, I played NATO and was easily annihilated. Let's see if I do better as the Soviets.
    Excellent! I have the game thread up, and have updated the logistics thread...any question you have as we play, please post in there. Let me ponder how I want to setup my forces...in the meantime, have a gander at the rules. We can get started this weekend, if that's OK.

Sounds good!

Sounds good!
    This is such a tricky scenario, for both sides. I can tell you that the nastiness in combat that I experienced, came mainly from Opportunity Fire. Those rolling hills you have in front of you block LOS with 2 or more hexes of it between you and me. I can negate that by mounting a hill to the north, but then I get one good Op Fire shot off at anything you throw in that soup and then my tushie is exposes....and worse, retreating is not that easy from that position. It's a big part of what I am considering in placement.

I actually have everything setup at the moment for my side, except for one Abrams platoon. I'll give it a day or so before I decide if this will be the actual positions (and where the Abrams unit goes) before I post it up, so I can mull it all over.

Yup, that sounds like what happened last time we did this. That's pretty normal in a NATO vs Warsaw Pact scenario. I know it's winnable for NATO, but it's really tricky.

I tried some testing with images tonight, and used Postimg.org for the pics....you can see coordinates much better with it!